“Faulty Towers of Edinburgh”
Review of Ritz Edinburgh

Ritz Edinburgh
Ranked #145 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Due to lack of availability in Edinburgh with the Tattoo and Fringe festival I booked this hotel.
The location is one of it's redeeming features located near to Haymarket railway station. The building itself was quite grand in it's day but unfortunately that day has long since gone. The spiral staircase no lift would be a bit of a problem for any elderly or disabled customers. I was contacted by the hotel on route to tell me the room I had booked was not available because of water damage, but after I said we were 20 minutes away another room was sourced.
Room 9 with a four poster bed complete with swags and tails was the allocated abode. Please see pictures the em suite bathroom bore more water marks than a Basildon Bond writing pad and on trying to shut the sash window in the bathroom the edge of the window came off obviously a long standing problem. After showering the water was hot unlike earlier reports, I found the hairdryer the second advantage of this hotel it had at least an eight foot cord enabling hair drying all over the room and at a pinch outside in the passage. For the price I paid I would have at least expected breakfast but no that was extra but to be honest I couldn't find anywhere they could serve it, so I had to make do with a cuppa in a plastic cup in the bedroom!
Day 2 this changed to a polystyrene cup for extra heat retention.
All in all an experience but not as we know it Jim!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank JohnBrookes5

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Ended up here by mistake during festival week, lulled by the name and google streetview - DON'T think it is the Ritz group that has taken over the Hilton, it isn't. It's one of the myriad of also-ran hotels you can find in any big city.

Is it "Terrible" one star? No, it deserves two, just about, but reading reviews here the 5 star ones are so obviously fake that I gave it 1 as balance ;)

Good points: Clean towels, bed linen, friendly helpful staff. I had a large room with a couple of dralon covered armchairs.

Bad points: everything else. As is noted, the place is more than tired, it is verging on dilapidated. No facilities for serving breakfast at all (that should tell you something).

Ultimately, it all comes down to value. Even at half the price I paid (assuming doubling of rates in festival week) it would be at the very very top end of what it was worth - only managing that because of its central location. No real surprise they had a vacancy when so few other hotels did.

I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel last May 2014. I was surprised they don't have elevators to get to the second floor when we got 3 big bags and some stuffs to bring upstairs although staffs are willing to help to carry the bags. When we get to the room, it was so old, small, worn out and carpet is filthy. Bed is very uncomfortable that we can feel the spring in it, bedsheets were small not enough to cover the old mattress. No dining table nor chairs, the only way you can sit is on the bed or on the bench near the window where you put all the bags. Carpet is disgusting. Its pink and color and anyone can see how dirty it is specially the corners. they provide Styrofoam coffee mugs. Water is not warm enough. And what makes it more disgusting is we can hear what other people are doing next door like when they use the toilet!!. Door knob is vintage that it takes time to lock it from inside. They don't change the bedsheets and pillow cases when in fact we stayed there for one week. I was the one who change it because housekeeping gone home. They gave us complimentary wine because the housekeeping missed out to clean our room. Staffs were nice and accommodating however, at the end of the day it is the room and the comfort that matters every pounds we pay.
Good locations though. very close to the Haymarket train station and only 10 minute walk to the city and parks. Also there's a cheap restaurant nearby. Disappointed with our accommodation everytime I finished having a bath, I don't feel like stepping on the carpet it is so dirty and that needs a good replacement. I will look for a better hotel next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room on the second floor. I think its room 7
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend for two nights in 2013. Hotel clean ,family run but needs updating, was a bit old fashioned. Great location close to shops. Bit of a walk to royal mile but you can easily get a bus. No lifts we were on second floor but they offered to take our bags up for us. Friendly staff but you get what you pay for, its budget not a posh hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dracula67
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here two weeks ago. We were supposed to stay here for 4 nights but could just about cope with one night. The price was extremely expensive around 470 pounds for 4 days and it was not even worth half of that. We booked a superior king room but that is definitely not what we got. When we walked into our room I was hit by the strong musty smell immediately. The ceiling was covered in MOULD and the wallpaper was PEELING. Everywhere was full of dust. The minute I opened the locker the door broke. The window would not open at all. The curtains smelled of smoke and were all dusty. Shower would not work .Was STONE COLD!!SMELL of DAMP everywhere.BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. The staff seemed very sneaky and almost laughing at us .They also seemed very reluctant to give us the key to our room. They left us waiting ages after we already had waited until 4 O'clock to check in. It was extremely noisy at night. You could hear everything from the corridors and the other bedrooms. Very old and damaged.Absolute rip off. It is a disgrace they are still running this hotel. My chest was killing me with the smell of DAMP and Mould. They did not serve breakfast there. We were so upset that we had to leave the hotel after the very first night. It was such a waste of much money. We were only looking for something comfortable and clean and this was far from that. I can't express enough how disappointed I am and I strongly advise NO one to stay here !!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Emma g
Reviewed 26 July 2014

On a long decisions as to where to go on holidays with my girlfriend it came to mind to visit Edinburgh due to it been a lovely place and Very Homely. On arrival to the hotel the staff were friendly enough but the shocker came when I walked into my accommodation for the next four nights the room was very badly damaged. The paint on the wall was peeling with mould on the celling and the carpet was all dusty. Small minor things at first but the issues started to become more greater. The shower was cold and hardly working while leaving the bathroom I place my luggage in the wardrobe and the door had come off and fell to the floor lucky enough I didn't sustain injury. At this point for a price over over 400 for fours nights I thought to myself this was a disgrace and I demanded my money back at the desk. The staff laughed and looked at me with a blank face as if they zoned out and forgot they worked in a hotel. So with no choice but to change hotel I walked out with a half the wallet I came in with. Don't go here and I do hope in future this hotel will be shut and its only scams stop.

Room Tip: dont go here fake
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnny e
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for three nights July 2014. Recommended by a friend, I found the Ritz to be a very nice, reasonably priced hotel with an attentive, pleasant staff (hey, Carlos!). The building is older, and the owners are restoring and updating it in sections over the next months. I just hope they don't remove the wonderful tartan stair carpeting! My room (#16) was very comfortable, and well suited to my needs. Good wifi signal. Shower was good, plenty of hot water. I definitely will stay here on my next visit to this beautiful city.

Room Tip: No. 16 gets excellent wifi in the room, and is nice & quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo