“Really Funky!”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed here for a night in the city with friends, rooms are really funky & great value for money! Great location for going out, very central so no long walk home.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liam J
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Thanks for the great review!

Glad you had a great time in the city and enjoyed the hotel. I see from your photo that you didn't beat our rubiks cube. Maybe next time ;-)

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Fraser and the Grassmarket team.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,299)

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I read about this new hotel in the onboard Easyjet magazine and thought i would give it a try. Grassmarket is an area of Edinburgh I discovered early on, and not to be mistaken with the glasshouse hotel, also in the same city. I liked almost everything about this little gem, the quirky rooms and decor. That aside it did provide a great location/base to re-discover the great city. On a personal note I like the fact it was a short walk from Waverley Station, as I arrived by train from London's Kings Cross and departed in my cool " union pack " mini hired one way from appropriately named www.britishcarhire.com

I even got to see the Olympic torch pass by, a brilliant hotel and i wish them well.

Room Tip: Obviously the top floor is the quietest
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank vikkitraveller
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable experience and loved the quirky rooms. The hotel is in a fantastic location, just a few steps away from the castle and is perfect for exploring the city. Our team are on hand 24 hours a day to help you plan your visit and see the best that Edinburgh has to offer. I hope you can come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Stayed here on the really sunny week in may and couldn't have chosen a better week to visit the capital! Arrived to a brand new reception (could smell the paint drying) there was a pc for free Internet access and cool wee space for a coffee. Our room was spectacular and really knocked our socks off, didn't expect it at all! iPod dock and magnetic map wall a nice touch for a 3 star place like this.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Christopher B

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I am glad we managed to make the sun come out during your stay. We try our best!! I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our new rooms. The feedback we are receiving has been fantastic. Our reception area has really taken shape with a new large screen Mac for our guests to use, a nice relaxing game of chess or maybe backgammon? We also have a great collection of books and a latte or cappucino waiting for you on arrival. I hope that you can come and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We were slightly dubious about this hotel going by previous reviews. However we had a newly refurbished room in this so central hotel in such a historic location of Edinburgh. our room had all the modern gizmos od iPod docking that could be heard in the bathrooms. Fantastic magnetic maps of Edinburgh on Walls, my husband loved it. The beds were so comfy and for a city centre hotel very peaceful.

The breakfast was ideal and afterward we sat at the windows and watched the world go round until our son who is at university in Edinburgh arrived. All the staff were helpful and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

We live in Aberdeen and will be recommending this gem of a hotel to all our friends and work colleagues as the rooms, staff and location are spot on as is the price we paid. Loved it will be back. My sister has American visitors this summer and is planning on bringing them north from Peterborough so will recommend as this is ideal for them.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank EvelynPethick

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel. I was very happy to read that the staff looked after you during your visit and that you enjoyed our new rooms. Our ipod docks are becoming very popular especially with guests who love to sing in the shower!! Our new reception area is the perfect place to relax where one of the team will bring you a coffee and let you unwind after a busy day expolring the city. We are all very happy that your stay was enjoyable and hope to see you and your friends from America very soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Absolutely fabulous!! I took my partner here for his birthday. Best hotel we've ever stayed in the staff were fantastic, really kind and helpful and the room was gorgeous really lovely little touches like the teacakes (our favourite!!) The hotel was being refurbished and possibly the only reason we could afford to stay here. Location was perfect just across from all our favourite shops. Please ignore the bad reviews because if the rest of the hotel is going to be anything like the room we stayed in it will be a real gem to the grassmarket. Just reduce the prices so we can come stay again !!!! :D Thank-you Grassmarket Hotel for a really fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Any of the refurbished rooms are fantastic!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim F

Dear guest,

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I was so pleased to read that this is the best hotel you have ever stayed in. We are really proud of how our hotel is taking shape and we are selling at great value rates to ensure that we are giving the highest quality of standards and the best value to our guests. Visit our website for all the latest updates and I hope you can come and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I booked this hotel despite some negative reviews purely on the fact it has the best location for my trip. I got a fantastic room, blew me away how good it was in comparison to the price. iPod dock in the wall that links to the shower was the best thing (oh and the mattress was comfy as well) - would recommend to all. Also the pc in reception was a nice touch as needed to check my train times...

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John R

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel.
I was really pleased to read your comments about our new rooms and that you had an enjoyable stay. Our reception area is really taking shape now and next time you are passing you can pop in for a coffee and a game of chess!

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

The Grass market is situated by the old town and the area is very lively with good bars and restaurants . The hotel being period should have added to the colour of the area.

Accepting the owners are redecorating the hotel and moving forward from the 1970's and confirm the refurbishment by saying light disturbance. This may explain the hole in the carpet of my room the lack of springs in the bed and the TV only had two channels. As the shower did not work I was moved to a double room and this was not much better.

However the lift had not been cleaned in weeks and was filthily from the builders, the corridors were either blocked by lengths of wood or plasterboard!

Regardless of what they do to refurbish, my single room was approximately 10 by 10 foot before taking the corner away to add a bathroom.

In addition breakfast is severed in the pub next door and the staff are preoccupied in getting the bar ready and not serving breakfast.

I could not find any public spaces except reception where some stools and counter top had been provided.

Room Tip: Use the Apex Hotel across the road
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Cirusview

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel.
I am very sorry that the room did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We are all working very hard to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable stay possible and I was extremely dissapointed to read your comments. Our reception team are always on duty to ensure any issues can be rectified immediately. Once again I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences during your stay and I can assure you that the new Grassmarket hotel is looking amazing and the feedback we are receiving has been fantastic so far. I hope that you will come back again soon and see the changes since your last visit.

We look forwward to welcoming you back very soon.