“Practical small bedroom for long weekend overnight stay in the heart of Edinburgh”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #48 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Great accomodation for singles or younger "more minimalistic" travellers, e.g. as a starting point to visit nice Edinburgh and surroundings. Perfect for short night sleeping and extensive day-trips. Lots of action, restaurants, pubs and historic sites nearby.

First class reception, if you're lucky to meet Pablo at night or Sara during the day: Both 5 stars out of five !!

Room for improvement: Breakfast.

Best tip: Hula Juice Bar around the corner ... no. 1 in the UK

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AliAss_FUE
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us :-)

I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind words to both Pablo and Sara.

You will be pleased to hear that we will have a brand new exciting breakfast offering when Biddy
Mulligans reopens next month – you should come back and try it out!

Hope to see you again soon,

Rachel & The Grassmarket Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Started terrible because we were booked at their sister hotel a couple of blocks up the street, but when we got there the hotel was closed because of renovation. No one informed us so we had to walk with our luggage to this hotel. The next problem was more ignorance on my part but I couldn't figure out how to turn on the electricity, so that took another trip downstairs (no phone). The elevator didn't work past the first floor and there was some work being done on the hotel so there was construction material all over the hallways. I thought things wouldn't get worse but then my wife took a shower and the drain wouldn't work and there wasn't really a lip on the shower so the bathroom flooded. After these issues the bed was comfortable and we were a five minute walk to the castle. The two girls that worked the front desk were really nice and helpful. The hotel does have a unique atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us; we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay with us; we aim for our guests to enjoy their stay at The Grassmarket Hotel just as much as we love the place ourselves, and I am sad to hear this is not the experience you had here.

Firstly let me apologise for the lack of communication from our sister hotel, you should have been informed of the move and offered a complimentary taxi over to us. I understand that this must have been frustrating for you, and is not a great start to a relaxing break away. Equally the room-electricity should have been explained to you on check in by the reception staff and I can only apologise that this was missed and the inconvenience it caused.

I am disappointed to hear of the issues with your shower and I will instruct the maintenance department to investigate this fully. I’d also like to thank you for bringing the state of the hallways to my attention and I will be addressing this with the site manager for the Bar refurbishment, as they should not be encroaching upon the hotel in any way.

On a more positive note, I am very pleased to hear you found the location to be fantastic, the rooms comfortable and the staff helpful and approachable. I do hope you still managed to enjoy your time in Edinburgh outwith these inconveniences and would consider returning to give us a second chance in the future.

Thank you again for your comments.

Surrey
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here during the bank holiday weekend. All in all the experience was good. The hotel is right next to some bars and pubs which get really busy on weekends. Our room was facing this way and the noise did wake us up an couple of times a night. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, comfy and spacious. The bed was comfy and big. The bathroom was recently redecorated but the water from the shower was running out of the bathroom into the bedroom, which we had to stop with towels...The only thing I missed was the carpets. The room has laminate flooring, which makes it look like a student room rather than a hotel room.
The feel of the room and the location would probably suit 20 year olds better, than us. I do not regret staying here, but I do like my little luxuries when away, and this was lacking that.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bubbly81
Hi Bubbly81,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us the other week, and hope you got to enjoy the day of good weather while you were here! I am happy to see you enjoyed the location, our quirky style and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Thank you for bringing the issue with your shower to my attention, I will inform the maintenance team of this issue and investigate it fully.

Hope to see you again soon!

Wyomissing, PA
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The Grassmarket Hotel website looked promising, but quite a different story in real life. Other than the location, I can't give cudos to anything much in this hotel. We booked a comfy double room and after we spent what felt like hours going up one floor on the elevator, short stairs ways, narrow hallways, doors, a complete flight of stairs with two large suitcases to get to the our second floor room, our key didn't work! Back down the maze to talk to the receptionist. When we did get in to the room, it was as if someone was playing a joke on us! The bed was flush against 3 walls, within about 2 - 1/2 feet were an open armoire with one drawer, and a small counter, which was full with all the amenities that could fit on it. Suitcases had to be stored under the bed. Which meant that anytime we needed to get anything out of them, someone had to stand at the door or sit on the bed.
The window in our room looked at a brick wall and out over a neighboring roof, with trash piled up; broken glass, rubbish, metal, overgrown vines. One morning someone actually walked by the window. (Hoping it was someone working on the roof!)
My glasses were the only thing that could fit on the "nightstand."
No phone in the room, so I had to go down the labyrinth to talk to the receptionist, to ask if there were any other rooms available. She simply said that they were booked. I also asked for a chair, which she brought to us right away. Big mistake. Now we had somewhere to put some things, but less space to walk around.
Breakfast was temporarily at a bar a short walk down the street. It was dirty and smelly and the breakfasts were adequate.
The bathroom was beautiful, but not very functional. It lacked any shelf or place to put toiletries, a shower curtain/door to keep the floor dry, or a deep enough sink. But the shower itself was great!
I just kept telling myself that I can either laugh or cry about this, so there was a lot of laughing.
I understand that this was not a purpose built hotel, but they should have remodeled it with comfort in mind instead of the quirky decor and clever signage.
Because of all the inconveniences and the price, I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: First - look elsewhere. Ask to NOT be booked in Room 203.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mygraygirl
Hi mygraygirl,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us; we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy aspects of your stay with us and it is unfortunate that we did not get a chance to speak in person during your time with us and come to a suitable resolve. I am sorry to hear you found the corridors and stairwells to be narrow and inconvenient; this is due to the age of the building and unfortunately cannot be remedied. As noted the elevator only serves one side of the hotel, and the other is accessible through a stairwell from the first floor; lift-accessible rooms can be requested when booking and the receptionists are on hand to assist with luggage.

Thank you for bringing the issue with your key to my attention, and I will investigate this matter fully. I am also sorry to hear we were unable to move you rooms when requested but I am pleased that the receptionist was prompt and helpful when dealing with your requests.

I am disturbed to hear of your experience at Breakfast and will address these immediately with the Bar Manager, please let me assure you this is not the standard we expect for our guests. As a side note, there is also a continental option available to eat in your room or the Reception area, and I do hope this was conveyed to you upon check-in.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you still enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh.

Lander, Wyoming
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We loved the whole place, from the friendly, informal atmosphere in the lobby, to the chalkboard walls in our room. Staff was cordial and knowledgable about the area, particularly Sarah. Staying in Old Town gave us easy access to Edinburgh's historic and cultural sites, authentic Scottish food and drink and, of course, the "castle outside our window". I highly recommend the Grassmarket Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the square have a unique and beautiful view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqueline S
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a kind review about your stay with us.

I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us to others.

I am very happy to hear you found the staff to be friendly & helpful, and I have passed on your kind words to Sara.

We hope to see you again soon :-)

London
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Lovely staff from before even booking, accommodated us very well. Individual style - very cool graphic design through out, modern and cool amenities great central location - comfy bed, lovely reception area - special mention to Sarah who was lovely and conscientious - I would recommend any of my friends or people reading this to stay here. Amazing value for money and a unique style and experience - don't go to a same old chain hotel - come here!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Barhopper99
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Hi Barhopper99,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay, we really appreciate it :-) 

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and I have passed on your kind comments to the Sara and the rest of the girls.

Don’t stay away too long!

Rachel & The Grassmarket Team
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel is a perfect place to stay for exploring Old Town. The rooms are clean and very nice decorated, though not very spacious yet cosy. A nice feature is the docking station for your Ipod or Iphone. The staff was very friendly and helpfull.

Room Tip: If you like a small but cosy and quiet room, ask for room 306!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Chantal164
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hi Chantal,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us :-)

I am so happy to hear you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us and that you found the staff to be helpful, I will pass on your kind comments to them.

We hope to see you again soon!