“The Grass is Greener at the Greenmarket Hotel”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #48 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Only stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a basic studio room which was a bit on the cramped side but the great array of tea and delicious chocolate bars made up for it. It's a very trendy hotel that is close to anything you could wish to see in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank voilalola
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Hi Voilalola,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review of your recent stay with us!

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the yummy goodies in the room, our fantastic location and found our staff to be great :-)

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel has a great location and is at the center of Edinburgh's late night culture. The castle is a short walk up the hill so it is ideal if you are taking a short stay. The hotel itself is not your typical style accommodation. After check in, we got lost on the way to our room. The halls are set up like a labyrinth which gave it some character but it was somewhat annoying after diving long distance beforehand.
We stayed 1 night in a small 'dandy' themed room. The room was comfortable and clean but I think there are better deals around Edinburgh if you keep looking.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Hey Sonofwolf,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us!

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our fantastic location right in the heart of Edinburgh’s old town; it does mean our guests are just minutes away from many of the top tourist attractions that the capital has to offer.

I’m sorry to hear you got a little lost on the way to your room; due to the age of the building we know that it can be a bit confusing but we try to combat that with large directional signage. I will make sure the receptionists are clearer with their directions at check in.

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We had stayed in Edinburgh for 4 days at a different hotel. We decided to extend our stay for one more night and as our original hotel could not accommodate us we found the Grassmarket Hotel had a room avaliable. We were very grateful to be accommodated at the last minute during the fringe.

The location is good. Close to the Royal Mile, but not particularly handy for Princess Street.

All v quirky and cool inside, but the top floor room we were allocated was ridiculously small e.g. The bed was encased by 3 walls! That said we were told that we were being given the last free room in the hotel, so it was probably their smallest. It was clean and adequate for a one night stay. I also found the bed to be very comfy.

The staff at the hotel are really friendly and welcoming and the night porter went out of his way to help us.

Overall it was an OK experience but I could only have stayed in the tiny room for one night.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi Shopkitten,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us – we really appreciate it :-)

I’m so pleased to hear that though you found the room to be a little on the small side (unfortunately we are a listed building, and some of our rooms can be a little cosy due to the age of the building we occupy) you found it to be clean, quirky and comfy!

I am also happy to hear that you found the staff to be friendly, welcoming and helpful – we aim to provide excellent customer service and it is great to hear that the night porter on duty went the extra mile to assist you.

If you do return to Edinburgh please feel free to contact us directly for the best rates – and I will make sure you are allocated a larger room!

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel over the above dates. The room we was allocated was located at the rear of the hotel and was a touch on the small side, having said that, it was clean and cosy. On the plus side, the customer service we received while staying here was first class. Nothing was too much for the girls on reception. Whatever you needed doing or request you had these girls did it will a smile on their face, this made such a pleasant change, in the past we have stayed in 5* hotels which have not looked after you as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry S

Hi Barry,

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your short stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel during the Fringe Festival, and I am thankful you chose to write us a wee review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff; we aim to provide the best customer service that we can, and I am pleased to hear you found it to be ‘first class’!

We do hope to welcome you back again next time you are in Edinburgh :-)

Best Wishes,

Rachel & The Grassmarket Team

Reviewed 22 August 2013

stayed for 1 night with our family of 5 during the fringe, booked 3 rooms for our family.
pros: good location for the castle, fringe and royal mile; clean; modern bathroom; decent breakfast (for a price), tunnocks
cons: small rooms, fair privacy in the bathroom (glass door), poor elevator access to 2 of our rooms, had to walk up 2 flights of stairs with our heavy luggage, maze-like corridors with worn carpeting, awkward steps up and down and ramps, lobby is small and not conducive to hanging out (bar stools for seats)

Room Tip: if elevator access is important to you, make sure you confirm this for your particular room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time to review your family’s recent stay with us here in Edinburgh; we really do appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our fantastic location – you are hard pushed to find a better base for exploring Edinburgh, particularly during the Fringe as we are right in the heart of things!
I am disappointed to hear you found access to your room difficult; the reception staff are happy to help with luggage, though I agree that they should have offered assistance with this – particularly for such a large party – and this is something I will discuss with them personally. Due to the age and nature of the building, it can be a little confusing and we do try to combat this with clear signage in the hallway. I am also sorry to hear you found the lobby to be too small to hang out in; we do recommend the cosy booths in Biddy Mulligans which is adjoined to the reception as a great meeting spot for our guests!

Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope you and your family had a fantastic time during your visit :-)

Thanks again,

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Pros:
Good location. Clean. Good quality bathroom. Free Tunnock's Teacake.

Cons:
Room was damp, bed felt damp, air smelled damp, possibly the A/C was at fault as there was a damp patch on the ceiling next to the A/C grille. Still I don't seem to have contracted anything from it :)

Room was also very small meaning I had to eat and work sitting on the bed.

Window overlooked the back alley of the next door bar, where the bar staff would take very noise breaks and empty the bottle bins every 40 minutes or so with a huge loud crash, until 3:20 am.

I would not recommend this hotel, and I was not on top form the next day after a poor night's sleep.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us; we really do appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our fantastic location, lovely bathrooms, yummy teacakes & the hard work of our housekeeping department :-)

I am disturbed to hear that you found your room to be damp and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention; I have no record of anything like this being reported by my front desk staff, as I would have looked into it immediately, however I have now asked our maintenance department to look into the matter as a matter of urgency.

I am also disappointed to hear of the disturbance caused by the bar staff; I have brought this to the attention of the General Manager of Biddy Mulligans and we are working together to create a suitable resolve.

Thank you again for your comments, and if you would like to return to see if we can make it up to you please contact me directly to arrange a great returner rate.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The second time we have stayed here and I must say we are just as pleased. The rooms are well planned and spacious with well designed bathrooms, wi-fi, and tea/coffee facilities (Last year we got Tunnock teacakes and wafer biscuits, but nothing this year! Why?).
Remember there is a pub on the street level so consider this when booking a room with regard to noise, but I cannot say that we were bothered by any noise due to good insulation and being on the fourth floor.
Great helpfull staff and geographically it could not be better if one is in Edinburgh for the festival.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluesky023

Bluesky023,

Thank you for leaving such a kind review of your recent stay here at The Grassmarket Hotel.

It is great to hear that as a returning guest you enjoyed the hotel as much as the first time round :-)

I am sorry to hear there were no teacakes in your room on this occasion, and I will investigate accordingly with our housekeeping department – if you let me know when you are returning I will make sure there is an extra stash in your room waiting for you!

Hope to see you again soon,