“Location, location, location!”

Ranked #48 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is just about as central as you'd want to be in Edinburgh. We stayed here for a mini break and we managed to see so many sites within 4 days that it felt like a week! The staff were friendly and helpful. The photos on the website are exactly as the hotel looked in real life. The room itself (we were on the 4th floor) was clean and equipped with the amenities as promised. You can hear the noise from the street but that's the compromise for being right in the middle of everything. There are several amazing restaurants within a 10 minute walk. The hotel is quirky, fun and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SvenskTjej
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Hi SvenskTjej,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review about your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel.

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms, quirky room amenities and our fantastic city centre location.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Rachel & The Grassmarket Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in November as a little Christmas treat for him, as he will be working away during December. I found this hotel using tripadvisor, and although a little apprehensive due to some of the reviews I decided to give it a go as the location was perfect and the price was very good for Edinburgh.

On hearing the reason for our stay, the hotel upgraded our room and left some chocolates in our room.. such a lovely surprise for my boyfriend and made our weekend even more special.

The hotel was very easy to find, and although a slight walk from the train station it wasn't the worst. Our room wasn't ready on arrival, however our bags were stored and we were able to explore the grassmarket. Lovely bars and restaurants in very close proximity.

Our room was fabulous. Very clean and modern. The shower was lush. Dandy wallpaper was such a quirky touch and I loved it! We had lots of fun planning our weekend using the magnet wall map. Although the hotle doesn't have a bar, it is joined to an Irish pub which was lovely for a drink before our meal and also had live music (which i love!).

I will most certianly be returning to the Grassmarket Hotel, hopefully in the very near future!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PlanningForFun
Hi PlanningForFun,

It’s great to hear such fantastic feedback about our Hotel, and I am so pleased that you chose to write a review to share your experience with future guests!

I do hope you will come back and see us again soon; please contact us directly to ensure you receive the best returner rate.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

All I can say is that this Hotel has everything. Clean, modern, super friendly staff, good breakfast and its location is superb. If I will visit Edinburgh again, my choice would be Grassmarket Hotel!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Kordina
Hi Kordina,

Thank you so much for your kind review about your recent stay with us here in Edinburgh :-)

It’s great to hear such positive feedback and I will pass it on personally to the staff.

We hope to see you again soon!

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Grassmarket Hotel in Edinburgh delivers what it promises and at a very good price. The room I stayed in was very small but extremely comfortable and clean and with a really nice bathroom. The hotel has invested in nice quirky little extras such as an iPod-dock (with a speaker in the bathroom!) and good Scottish teacakes. For a visitor coming from Scandinavia I especially appreciated the well-functioning hot water and warm air-conditioning (no double-glazing here!!!!).

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a quiet room as one of the most popular local pubs happens to be next door to th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kristiina A
Moi Kristiina!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us – it’s great to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

I’m glad to see you enjoyed your rooms – we do try to make some of our smaller rooms as comfortable as possible – and I’m pleased you enjoyed our yummy in-room teacakes!!

I hope to see you back in Scotland again soon.

Stockport
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for part business, part pleasure. The rooms / style of the place is very quriky which can be a good or bad thing - but i wasnt disappointed. The staff are very good, the place is very clean and well run. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was heaven - very large with enough room for a wheelchar and disability touches (a fold down seat in the huge shower area). Though i am not disabled, the space was very well planned with good soft thick towels. There was also a proper tea pot - excellent! There are a good selection of books, papers and magazines to borrow and the location is superb.

Room Tip: I went for a twin on the first floor - not sure about doubles, singles etc
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MaryLouStockport
Hi MaryLou,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel!

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff to be lovely and helpful – I will pass on your kind sentiments to them personally.

We hope to see you again soon :-)

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

What wonderfully friendly and helpful staff! The one and only downside to staying in this hotel is having to leave - oh and navigating the corridors to your room. A huge thank-you to everyone - genuinely missing you already!!! Rm 302

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Nimrod71
Nimrod,

Thanks for this amazing full mark review!

We’re very proud of The Grassmarket Hotel and I am so pleased that you had such a great time during your stay with us. I will make a point of passing your kind words along to the staff.
We hope to see you again soon :-)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a central location for exploring the city. Rooms were well maintained and clean. Stayed on a saturday night and didn't have any problems with noise, but we were on the 5th floor so that may have helped.
I would recommend this place to friends and would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends