“Brilliant hotel!!!”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I would definetly recommend this hotel to groups. When I stayed here there was three of us all wanting to stay in the same room, we were able too book a room for three people with three real beds no problem.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The decor was quirky and fun, immaculately clean and in a great location. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Lil_lou_91
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Lil_Lou,

Thanks for the great review - sounds like you had a fantastic time in Edinburgh!

Looking forward to seeing you again in the future :-)

Rachel & The Grassmarket Hotel Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I am staying here for work, and the lack of facilities means it is not really an appropriate choice. I am disappointed to find there is no desk to work at, no room service or even a phone to reception, no hotel directory, so I assume no laundry service. There is very little space to lay out clothes etc, although there is a tall wardrobe. There is one lift to the first floor, and stairs after that up to the top floor. The stairwells and corridoers make it feel like a hostel, and having no lifts is no goos when carrying heavy luggage. Luckily, I don't have a lot of luggage this time. The window is single glazed, although it does not feel too cold.

I think the price is very high for such a basic hotel, although I appreciate the location is very central which will drive the cost up, especially at this time of year.

I think the room has been decorated to a high standard, although not one that would be to everyone's taste. The bathroom is bright and modern, and the toiletries are nice. I personally appreciate some of the touches, for example, two Tunnock's tea cakes, proper coffee in the rooms, a nice shower, clean, modern decor, which overall gives a nice feel to the room. The walls are plastered with Dandy comic book pages which some reviewers seemed to dislike, but I thought it was colourful and fun alongside the rest of the bright and pleasant design. I did think that some of the design touches are slightly annoying and deliberately twee, with childish, irritatingly chatty snippets of text and naive line drawings around the hotel. Overall though, it was done to a high standard.

This hotel might be nice if I was spending a weekend in Edinburgh for leisure, and just wanted to have a nice time and be in a good location. Saying that, if i was footing the bill personally, i would probably go elsewhere, pay a bit less and forgo the hipsterish style.

In summary, it is a very basic hotel, done up very nicely in a good location. For the rate I paid (£99 per night) I think I could have a more luxurious (and practical) experience elsewhere. i also think that the style is very modern and current, but will quickly date, which is a bit of a shame for the hotel. Lastly, I should mention, that the service was very pleasant and the lady on the desk had a very nice manner, which is important.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi Ellen,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay.

We sincerely apologise that you did not enjoy your time with us, this is not the experience we want our guests to take away with them. I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly throughout.

We have taken on board all your comments as we are always striving to improve on all aspects of our business. We hope that if you return to Edinburgh you would find that the issues you have highlighted have been resolved.

Rachel & The Grassmarket Team

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this gorgeous hotel. We were so impressed! Literally around the corner from the castle and bang in the middle of everything you could want to see and do in Edinburgh. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Attached to a fantastic pub, great food and great craic! The bus tour stops right outside so anything you're too hungover to walk to is easily accessed. We will definately be staying here again when we return to Edinurgh! I'm already receommending it to everyone I know!

Room Tip: We were in 210, was at the front of the building. We weren't affected by the noise of the stree...
2  Thank Laura M

Laura,

It’s great to hear such fantastic feedback about our brand new hotel product, and I am so pleased that you chose to write a review to share your experience with future guests!

I do hope you will come back and see us again soon; please contact us directly to ensure you receive the best returner rate.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights last weekend-fantastic hotel, staff were brilliant, I emailed the hotel before and they gave me great tips for restaurants. Its all the little touches that make this hotel stand out from the lighting to the tea cakes and teapot in your room. Will definitely stay when i return to this beautiful city. :) :)

Room Tip: My only tip is that this hotel is a little noisy - but its worth it for the central location and buz...
2  Thank Angel_cakes82
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hey Angel_Cakes,

Looking forward to seeing you again in the future :-)

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed for two nights earlier this week. Really warm welcome from the girls on reception, clean and quirky room with loads of attention to detail. Tunnocks teacakes and pots of tea! The room was quite small, but the thought into space saving ideas made it absolutely fine. Location is great, we always like to stay in the Grassmarket as its cobbled streets and range of independent shops are the best in Edinburgh. Really good value for money, would recommend highly!

2  Thank fion2412

fion2412,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I like the Dandy, and find Tunnock's Tea Cakes difficult to resist. If you know neither, then some of this hotel's charms will be lost on you.

Great location, as long as you're OK with the hill up to pretty much anywhere - Royal Mile ≤5 mins walk, plenty places to eat and drink.

Rooms small but clean and well-equipped for size - safe, iPod dock playing into bathroom as well as bedroom. Comfortable, but not sumptuous bed. Small bathroom, with good shower.

Breakfast in pub next door - irish themed, so potato farles not potato scones.

Warm, friendly staff - lots of good communication ahead of arrival.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nwfs

Nwfs,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us – we really appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests :-)

We hope to welcome you back again next time you are in Edinburgh! Get in touch and we will sort you out with a great returner rate!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a great hotel that is fun, informal and a wee bit different. They've put a huge amount of effort into each room and the bathrooms are always excellent - I've stayed in 4-5 rooms. The breakfast is good and the staff are very friendly. I'd highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Adam B

Adam,

We hope to welcome you back again next time you are in Edinburgh!

Best Wishes, Rachel & The Grassmarket Hotel Team