“Not so fine and Dandy”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #49 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 February 2014

May be we were just unlucky, but our room had no where near the kind of space the ones in the pictures do. It was so small and cramped we had to take it in turns to stand up. The funky Dandy wallpaper, and quirky nik-naks didn't detract from the general pokiness. I wouldn't have minded this if we'd paid budget hotel rates, but at over a hundred pounds a night it seemed over priced. On our first morning we were awoken by an alarm which stopped just as we were about to evacuate - no explanation or apology given. On the second morning the shower didn't work and there was no hot water in the wash basin tap. Great! When we mentioned this on check out, staff said the manager would ring us about it at 10am.....several hours later now, and no call..........

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aitchwit
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Hi Aitchwit,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your feedback on our hotel. This really means a lot to us as we need to know what we are doing well and what we need to tweak to provide our guests the best experience possible.

Due to the age of the building the rooms do vary in size; I am sorry that you did not find the room you were in to be satisfactory. I would also like to apologise for the issue you experienced with your shower on your last day with us; this matter has been passed on to our maintenance team for full investigation. It is my understanding that Linda got in touch with you on the day of your departure to discuss a suitable resolve for the situation.

Thank you again for your honest feedback. If you’re ever returning to Edinburgh please let us know directly. We would be more than happy to show you than we have taken your comments on board.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Grassmarket Hotel is without a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff was beyond friendly, always making sure I had everything I needed, asking me how I was and willing to do anything.

The room was spotlessly clean when I arrived, tea, coffee and chocolate provided. The bed was big and very comfortable - I could have spent an entire year there! I felt at home.

If you're ever in Edinburgh, this is the hotel to choose. I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Emma R
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Hi 446emmar

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here and that it's the best hotel you have ever stayed at. I will make sure that the rest of the team see your lovely comments.

Please do let us know directly if you are ever returning to Edinburgh, so that we can sort you out with a great returners rate.

Hope to see you again soon!

Best wishes

Rachel and The Grassmarket Hotel Team

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Loved this hotel. My wife and I stayed for a weekend and had a lovely time. Great location, great staff, comfortable rooms. Breakfast at biddy mulligans next door was great too. Pick up a take-away Edinburgh map in reception and they have 241 food deals printed on there for nearby places, definitely worth doing!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean T
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Hi Dean T,

Thank you for this top rated review. It was a pleasure to have you both stay with us and a great to hear you thought our hotel was brilliant. If you are ever looking to return to Edinburgh let us know directly, we will be more than happy to assist. Again, thanks for taking the time to review us.

Best wishes, Rachel Duff - General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Rooms were different to any other hotels I've stayed in so that's why I picked it. Staff really helpful and even left a card and chocolates as it was my boyfriends birthday. Good location. Only downfall was that there was no car park and it was expensive to park in the ncp. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank LynseyvPratt

Morning LynseyvPratt,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Grassmarket Hotel and thank you for the top mark review! Great to hear yourself and boyfriend really enjoyed your stay with us, hope he had a good Birthday. As our hotel is so centrally located in Edinburgh, parking is limited but it does mean you’re in walking distance to enjoy the best of Edinburgh right at our doorstep. Come back and visit us soon, we would be delighted to have you both stay again…

Best wishes, Rachel Duff - General Manager

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Nothing to complain about here - everything was nice, CLEAN, spacious, and overall great. Well situated as well, in the heart of Grassmarket. You dont need to look any further! You've found your hotel here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Morgan989
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi Morgan989,

Thanks for this fantastic full mark review! The fact your overall stay was great is all we ever want for our guests and your comments are greatly appreciated, I’ll be sure to share this with all the team. We hope to welcome you back soon, best wishes,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I can't fault this place. Absolutely loved the fun and quirky attention to detail, the comic book wall paper, the lovely treats in the room (a real teapot!) great bathroom/shower. No noise complaints but I as there mid-week in winter. Amazing location, everything within city centre easy walking distance, just below the castle! A great winding street of restaurants and shops around the corner. The staff were super friendly and helpful and nice space to chill out in window seats, drink coffee or work on your laptop in the lobby area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Iascaigh

Morning lascaigh,

Big thank you for this great review, it’s a pleasure to hear you found your stay with us fun and relaxing. I will be sure to share your kind comments with the team also. Come back and visit us again soon, let us know directly next time you’re returning to Edinburgh and we will be more than happy to assist. Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Great little hotel centrally located. Good sized double room with a spacious bathroom and very comfortable large bed and plenty of storage. Loved the Dandy decor. It was my husband's birthday when we were there. I had notified the staff when I booked and he was given chocolates and a birthday card. Nice touch

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jean m

Hi Jean m,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us, it was a pleasure to assist in making your husband’s birthday a good one and great to hear you loved our Dandy décor. Come visit again soon,

Rachel Green – General Manager