“Found my base in Edinburgh”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #49 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Really happy with my room, big, clean modern, great facilities, with nice wee touches, everything you would expect and a little more... super friendly & helpful staff. Very quiet & comfortable. I definitely will rebook this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Gcglee
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Hi Gcglee,

Thank you so much for the lovely review - it's fantastic to hear such positive feedback about your time with us :-)

Please keep in touch to receive the best returner rate on your next visit to Edinburgh!

Don't leave it too long...

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed 5 nights and had a brilliant time. Rooms were well fitted out and had some great creature comforts. Location is excellent and found it super handy not having to leave the hotel for morning coffee and breakfast. Service of staff was fantastic, in particular Sarah was super helpful and cheerful. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 210... No complaints at all.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ollie R
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Hi Ollie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review about your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel!

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful - Sara will be touched by the personal mention! It also sounds like you made the most of our superb location right in the heart of the city :-)

Please let us know when you are thinking of returning and we will sort you out with a great returners rate.

Hope we can see you soon!

Rachel Duff

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Cool and quirky decor in the lobby and our room - very comfortable and cheaper and less stuffy than some of the grand hotels in the centre of the city. I also liked little touches including an ipod/phone dock which allowed you to play music in your room and the bathroom - and the tea cakes.

Our room was on the small side - but that's what you expect when you are literally staying so centrally you are next to the castle

Note that breakfast is in the Irish pub next door

3  Thank Catherine C

Hi Catherine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review about your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be cool and quirky; it also sounds like you made the most of our superb location right in the heart of the city :-)

Hope we can see you soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel was great really friendly staff. Nice quirky room, very comfortable. I had breakfast included in my stay which was served on a bar attached to the hotel I would recommend this as the food was fantastic, great choice

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Luciddream88

Hi Luciddream88,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review of your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel!

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed our comfy rooms and the hearty breakfast in Biddy Mulligans - I am sure they will be delighted when I pass on your comments :-)

Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

May be we were just unlucky, but our room had no where near the kind of space the ones in the pictures do. It was so small and cramped we had to take it in turns to stand up. The funky Dandy wallpaper, and quirky nik-naks didn't detract from the general pokiness. I wouldn't have minded this if we'd paid budget hotel rates, but at over a hundred pounds a night it seemed over priced. On our first morning we were awoken by an alarm which stopped just as we were about to evacuate - no explanation or apology given. On the second morning the shower didn't work and there was no hot water in the wash basin tap. Great! When we mentioned this on check out, staff said the manager would ring us about it at 10am.....several hours later now, and no call..........

1  Thank Aitchwit

Hi Aitchwit,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your feedback on our hotel. This really means a lot to us as we need to know what we are doing well and what we need to tweak to provide our guests the best experience possible.

Due to the age of the building the rooms do vary in size; I am sorry that you did not find the room you were in to be satisfactory. I would also like to apologise for the issue you experienced with your shower on your last day with us; this matter has been passed on to our maintenance team for full investigation. It is my understanding that Linda got in touch with you on the day of your departure to discuss a suitable resolve for the situation.

Thank you again for your honest feedback. If you’re ever returning to Edinburgh please let us know directly. We would be more than happy to show you than we have taken your comments on board.

Best wishes,

Rachel Duff – General Manager

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Grassmarket Hotel is without a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff was beyond friendly, always making sure I had everything I needed, asking me how I was and willing to do anything.

The room was spotlessly clean when I arrived, tea, coffee and chocolate provided. The bed was big and very comfortable - I could have spent an entire year there! I felt at home.

If you're ever in Edinburgh, this is the hotel to choose. I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Emma R
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Hi 446emmar

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here and that it's the best hotel you have ever stayed at. I will make sure that the rest of the team see your lovely comments.

Please do let us know directly if you are ever returning to Edinburgh, so that we can sort you out with a great returners rate.

Hope to see you again soon!

Best wishes

Rachel and The Grassmarket Hotel Team

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Loved this hotel. My wife and I stayed for a weekend and had a lovely time. Great location, great staff, comfortable rooms. Breakfast at biddy mulligans next door was great too. Pick up a take-away Edinburgh map in reception and they have 241 food deals printed on there for nearby places, definitely worth doing!

1  Thank Dean T
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Hi Dean T,

Thank you for this top rated review. It was a pleasure to have you both stay with us and a great to hear you thought our hotel was brilliant. If you are ever looking to return to Edinburgh let us know directly, we will be more than happy to assist. Again, thanks for taking the time to review us.

Best wishes, Rachel Duff - General Manager