“Found where ill stay in Edinburgh everytime”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #51 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Room and atmosphere was great, staff really helpful and the modern room was amazing. Great location with great bar attached. The layout was great and teacakes instead of biscuits was a nice touch. Easy walking distance from the castle and some great night life and attractions. Breakfast is good aswell

Room Tip: Well worth a stay, easy walking distance from Waverley station which will save you the taxi fair. Th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank TomQuayle
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review of your recent stay with us :-)

It’s great to hear you enjoyed the room, our unique atmosphere and our superb staff! I must admit; the teacakes are a favourite of mine too….

Hope to see you again in the future,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel has been tastefully and uniquely modernised, the beds were very comfortable and we had a very good nights sleep until the window cleaner woke us up before it was even light! The staff were friendly and helpful and I would definately return

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlisonR217
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hi Alison,

Thank for the great review; it sounds like you had a fantastic trip to Edinburgh - I'm pleased we could play a part in that for you :-)

I am sorry to hear that the window cleaners disturbed you; I will look into this and discuss it fully with our team.

It's great to hear you would return - please get in touch and we will sort you out with a great returner rate!

Rachel

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Brilliant location right in the old town, The room was very well cleaned spacious and comfy. The staff were all friendly and happy to help. Great little hotel very reasonable prices. We stayed on my wifes birthday and arrived back to find a card and chocolates left in the room. there are many little quirks at this hotel that sets it aside from the rest. will definatly stay again

Room Tip: The top floor had brilliant views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tatt00dle
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hi Tatt00dle!

Thank you so much for the fantastic review of your stay – it’s great to hear such positive feedback about our wee hotel :-)

I hope you and your wife had a lovely trip to Edinburgh for her birthday, and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future – please keep in touch!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A real find! I spent only one night here but savored every minute and wished I could have spent more time here. The room I took was the smallest option. Nonetheless, I was very comfortable in it.

As a graphic designer by profession, I was instantly drawn to all the design details starting from the key display in the lobby to the typographic product layout of the bathroom products. I particularly loved the magnetic map wallpaper - simply brilliant!

The only downside (which is why I didn't give it 5 stars) was the unfriendly receptionist who greeted me upon check-in. Maybe she was having a bad day so this could have just been a one-off thing but it did not match well the rest of the vibe of the hotel which is very upbeat and trendy.

I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

Insider Note: They sell some nice totes and goodies in the lobby that make great souvenir gifts. Some items are custom to the hotel and you won't find elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank IFBF-Travel

Hello IFBF-travel!

Thank you so much for the great review of your stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel!

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your short stay with us, and that you found it so comfortable. It’s also fantastic to hear such great opinions on the design features of the hotel – it means a lot to us :-)

I am so disappointed to hear that you did not feel your welcome to the hotel was up to scratch on this occasion; we pride ourselves on our customer service and I will investigate exactly what happened.

I do hope you will come back and see us again soon – please keep in touch!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location in the centre of Edinburgh, but the downside to this is that this means there can be a lot of noise. I was awoken one morning by the guys from the bar next door emptying out all the bottles from the previous night into the outside bins. Can't do much about that of course, but then the hotel staff decided to vacuum the corridor and that was before 10am on a Saturday so I thought that was a little inconsiderate, especially given the check-out time for the hotel is not until midday.

Rooms are well kitted out, and having speakers for the iPod docking stations in the bathroom is great. The shower was really nice but I did struggle with the temperature settings (lowest temperature available still seemed to be too hot but the fittings are quite slippery if your hands are wet, which is not ideal for a shower, so it was hard to tell if I just wasn't turning the dial correctly. There were no instructions. The shower could have done with a bathmat too - I was afraid I would slip.

The staff are friendly and when I stayed they were doing a deal with the bar next door so you could get discounts on food and drink. For what you pay for it is a good deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hi Superjen,

Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay with us – we appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests :-)

I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed our fantastic central location right in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town. Due to being so central, sometimes there are noise issues outwith our control and I am sorry that on this occasion you experienced these. However, we can control the internal noise and I must apologise that the housekeepers woke you on the Saturday of your stay – I have brought this to the attention of our Head Housekeeper and we are working to resolve this issue.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your room and the facilities within them, including our fantastic showers – I am sorry you found the shower difficult to operate, and bath matts are available from reception.

I have passed on your kind words to the team, and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to see you again,

Rachel

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

After looking at several other hotels for a long weekend in Edinburgh, we chose The Grassmarket Hotel because it was a lot cheaper than many others.

Unassuming from the outside in this convenient corner of Edinburgh; close to the castle (be prepared for steps!) and the royal mile, but as soon as you step inside you realise that this is not your average hotel! The reception feels very informal, with board games and drinks facilities. The hotel adjoins the pub next door; I can recommend the full Irish breakfast! Alternatively a juice bar around the corner (Hula) do a fine bacon bagel.

The room was quirky, one wall was papered with Dandy comics, there were teacakes in lieu of biscuits and the mugs (available for purchase) featured Scottish icons. The bed was comfortable, and although the room itself wasn't that big it was well laid out and never felt cramped.

Customer service was excellent from start to finish, the receptionists were always helpful and polite. I strongly recommend The Grassmarket Hotel and would gladly stay again if I return to Edinburgh.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel L

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review of your recent stay with us here in Edinburgh – we really appreciate it!

I’m so pleased that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed many aspects of our wee hotel; from the amazing central location, to our cosy reception area and our fantastic staff. I will personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto the staff – they are what makes the hotel :-)

Please keep in touch if you are returning and we will sort you out with a great returner rate!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Great location, walking distance to the Castle. Nice staff, the girls helped to book a tour to the Highlands (fantastic!). Awesome breakfast (ask for the omelette and for a hot chocolate!).
However the elevator is still out of order!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank DiogoGo

Hi DiogoGo,

Thank you for the recent review of your stay with us here in Edinburgh!

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, our fantastic location, the breakfast next door in Biddy Mulligans, our lovely staff and your trip to the Highlands!

As you have noted, due to the age of the building, not all of our rooms are accessible by elevator but instead by stairs. If a guest requires elevator access we can arrange this by request.

Hope to welcome you back again soon,