“Hit a jackpot”

Ranked #48 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Pisa, Italia
“Hit a jackpot”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Looking for two rooms because the previous hotel was full for my second night, I was very lucky to find it!
With its central position, very close to the Royal Mile and the Edinburgh Castle, it is perfect for your journey in the capital. It is in the Grassmarket where you can find several pubs and bistro. Minimalist and bright furnitures in the rooms (very nice the wall used as a map of the city with magnets to mark points of interest) which are also extremely clean and quiet. Staff was friendly and helpful.
In conclusion, a very nice place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Marco_Robbe
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Hello Marco_Robbe.

I am delighted you found a moment to provide us with your feedback of your experience here at the Grassmartket Hotel whilst I'm also pleased to hear that we were able to look after you with your previous hotel being full.

I must agree with you in regards to our location, we are very lucky and couldn't be in a better one. Underneath Edinburgh Castle and in the heart of the Old Town, what more could we ask for, we even have the Sun.

I'm very pleased to hear that the team were able to take care of you during your stay and ensure you had everything you needed, there all delighted with your comments.

Myself and the team here at the Grassmarket Hotel all hope that we can welcome you back in the near future, please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to make a reservation - grassmarket@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk.

Kindest,

David & The Grassmarket Hotel Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Israel
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We came at the hottest time to Edinburgh:during the edfringe and eif festivals. Initially we were not satisfied with the room (much too small) and the appliances (wifi and safe were not working properly), but since we came for a 8 day stay we dared to ask to change the room and we were fortunate to be moved to another room, much better, with good WiFi and safe. From that moment on everything was perfect, We even got an adapter for the electricity socket!!
The location is ideal for the festival, breakfast is tasty , we had a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: It is difficult to choose a rppm during the Festival
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Karina17
Hi Karina17.

Thank you for your review.

Firstly I must say that when I started reading your review I was slightly disappointed that your initial impression and indeed arrival to the Grassmarket Hotel was not satisfactory, however I was then pleased to read that my team were able to turn this around for you. I will certainly look into the Wi-fi issues that you were experiencing in your arrival room and have this reported to our IT department.

I'm delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy breakfast in our sister bar 'Biddy Mulligans', I will ensure I pass on your comments to them, they'll be happy to hear of them I'm sure.

Overall I'm happy to hear that your stay with us here at the Grassmarket Hotel was good and I do hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future. Don't forget to contact us directly where we will not only be able to take care of any special requests you may have, we will also be able to work our magic on the best available rates with our fantastic 'returners rates'.

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Best feature of hotel room was the bathroom. Decor is nonconformist, not pleasing. Building and room smelled dank, or old. Breakfast should be included for the $400 a night rip off. For such an old hotel and strange features this hotel should not command the rates charged.

Room Tip: Read hotel reviews, we did not.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Marie-Beth W.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of your recent stay with us here at the Grassmarket Hotel, Edinburgh. We appreciate all of our guests feedback, whether positive or negative as we strive to improve on the service we provide.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you found our decor to be 'non-pleasant'. I would say that we are different to many other hotels in the City and whilst the majority of our guests find this to be 'quirky' and 'unique', I can of course understand that it is not to everyone's liking.

In regards to your feedback on the hotel building smelling damp and indeed your room, again I am sorry to hear this and would of course have advised that you brought this to the attention of Reception during your stay in order for my team and I to re-allocate your room, however I can assure you that not only will I look into this immediately, the hotel and all of it's rooms has only recently been refurbished.

Marie-Beth W in relation to the cost of your room being £200.00 per night, this is a rate that competes very competitively with the majority of hotels based on the same star rating within the City and even more so throughout the month of August where the City of Edinburgh hosts the famous Edinburgh International Fringe Festival. I see that you made your reservation via one of our 3rd party agents where Breakfast would have been advised as not included, I'm sorry you feel that the rate and package were not justifiable.

The Grassmarket Hotel is very popular with many visitors to the City and indeed locals and whilst we are constantly working to improve our guests experiences, I do take your comments on-board and am saddened to hear that you would not return to us.

Thank you again for sending me your feedback.

Your's

David Rushforth
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My camp this year for the annual pilgrimage to the Festival fringe and lots of stand-up. So, a week where you might not be spending much time in the room, but need a very handy central base without paying the extortionate prices that the City demands at Festival time - Grassmarket hotel is a very good bet. A boutique hotel attached to a pub with a lot of whimsical Dc Thomason/Dandy/ traditional scottish, whimsical touches.

Can't be bad getting a couple of Tunnock's Teacakes appearing in your room each day!

It's not full service/room service etc...but hey there's a chip shop across the street - and if you want/need: there's breakfast in the pub attached. i have heard they had some very small rooms so went for a larger double up top at the back : which was also quite: handy during Festival time.

Room Tip: Go for the larger sizes, higher up and at the back if you want a quieter time : but some of those do...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Steve E
Hello Steve E.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback based on your recent stay here at the Grassmarket Hotel, it's great to hear from our guests once they have departed.

I'm pleased that you found our little hotel's location to be just right for your stay and of course your enjoyment of the Fringe Festival activities, we certainly are right in the heart of the action during this period with the majority of performances right on our door-step.

I must agree with you in regards to the Tunnock's Tea Cakes, they are yummy, I really must stop eating them but pleased to hear that they were indeed replaced on a daily basis for you.

We do have many different categories of rooms, sizes, locations both front and back facing and I'm pleased that you found the right one for you. Some of our rooms are indeed on a smaller scale, we like to call them 'Cosy' but of course they all come with the same high standards and funky décor.

Thank you once again Steve E. Don't forget, should you be lucky enough to return to Edinburgh in the future (maybe next years Fringe Festival), we have some great 'returners rates' available. Call us direct and we'll take care of everything for you - 01312202299 or grassmarket@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk.

Many Thanks,

David & The Grassmarket Hotel Team.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Loved the location! The room was really fun, clean and fully equipped.................................
Just be prepared for enjoying late night music! Great location for seeing the city and of course festivals

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Pat C
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Pat C.

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at the Grassmarket Hotel.

I'm so pleased that you found our rooms and décor to be 'fun', we have tried to make them very different from many other hotels in the City so it's great to hear that we got there whilst I'm delighted to hear that the standard of your room was is I would expect, clean and to a high standard.

As you have mentioned, our location is a busy, popular one with many Café's Bars and Restaurants around and therefore there may be a little street noise dependant on the location of your room, however I do hope that this did not disturb your sleep as a good nights sleep is important.

Myself and the team here at the Grassmarket Hotel would love to welcome you back again in the future and would invite you to contact us directly should you be re-visiting the City where we will take care of your reservation for you, providing you with some really great 'returners rates'

Thanks again,

David & the Grassmarket Hotel Team
norwich
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here a couple of days after the fringe festival late August 2014.
I booked the hotel because I loved the way it sold itself and the way the quirky rooms stood out from the other boring hotel rooms everyone finds themselves stuck in. I did have some reservations after reading the negative reviews on trip advisor but they where quickly dismissed after we turned up at the hotel.
We had room 207 which faces over the front. There was noise outside if the window was open but if we didn't want that we closed the window and if it got hot we turned up the air con. Some people have complained about space in this hotel and the rooms not being big enough. Our room was huge. I have travelled to the four corners of the world and it was one of the biggest on suite rooms I have ever stayed in, and an added bonus the TV was decent size, no squinting at a 15 inch box in the corner of the room.
The staff where polite, respectful and helpful whenever we had a query.
We never ate in the pub next door as we found another little eatery which we liked and was within a stones throw of the hotel.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to family and friends alike.

Many thanks for making our stay so pleasant.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ady_mills
Central E, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hi ady_mills,

Thank you so much for your review, I must say it was a pleasure this morning to log onto TripAdvisor and read your comments.

I'm so pleased you found our rooms to be 'quirky' and yes I agree, they certainly are different from other properties available within the city. It's good to be different whilst I'm also pleased to hear that you did your research on the Grassmarket Hotel and of course decided to make your reservation with us.

207 is indeed a nice room (as are all of our rooms of course) but this one is a firm favourite of mine. You are indeed right in regards to hearing passers by in our front facing rooms, however as you've already said, closing the windows does delete this and with our room temperature control units, you will always get a good nights sleep.

Thank you for your feedback on the team, I'll certainly pass on your comments to them, they'll be thrilled. We are very passionate about customer services here at the Grassmarket Hotel so to hear that we're doing things right is certainly a good thing.

Thank you once again aby_mills, I do hope that you will be able to re-visit us in the future where of course I would be happy to personally take care of your reservation, providing you with some great discounted rates of course. Feel free to contact me - davidrushforth@g1group.co.uk.

Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I usually stay away in bland hotels for business purposes, but this was a weekend away with my wife. From the moment we walked through the door there was a "Difference" to this Hotel. The Staff were welcoming helpful and friendly, The Decor... Bright and very different.. but also well thought out .. From the Dandy Cartoon Wallpaper to the Magnetic wall Map of Edinburgh to plan your stay. . Amusing!!!! Nice touches like Cans of Iron Bru, Wiz bars and Caramel Wafer treats accompanied the lovely Tea and filter coffee.
Right at the center of Edinburgh, beneath the Castle and with the Edinburgh Festival Fringe happening literally on the door step!
Fantastic!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 3rd floor corner room. nice local views in two directions
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank 2CQREngineer
Good Afternoon 2CQREngineer.

Thank you for taking a moment to submit your review based on your recent visit to the Grassmarket Hotel, we really do appreciate all of our guests comments and feedback as we continue to improve.

I'm absolutely delighted that the welcome you received upon your arrival was memorable, we love welcoming new and returning guests to our very different and unique hotel as we're very proud of it. Our 'Dandy' & Beano wallpaper seems to go down a treat with all of our guests, certainly makes it a little different doesn't it.

Your comments on our location, again I have to agree, we couldn't be in a better one. Directly under Edinburgh Castle, a stone throw from the famous Royal Mile and within the buzzing Old Town, what more could be ask for. We even have Sunshine (sometimes).

Thank you again and please don't hesitate to contact us directly should you have the opportunity to return to the City, even for those business trips. grassmarket@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk