“Very good accommodation for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of KM Central

KM Central
Ranked #134 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cupar, United Kingdom
“Very good accommodation for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Room was fine and very clean.The bathroom was a little small but it was very clean and did the job. Very well priced for the location as it was very near the festival theatre. Breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Slightly shocked on arrival that this appeared to be a student type base. Not at all what was suggested on the booking site. Room was okay with the basic facilities and was spotless. Good bed and quiet enough location to sleep soundly. Definitely breakfast was the best I've had at any hotel for quite a while. Plenty of choice for continental and made to order Scottish breakfast. Staff where friendly and helpful. Despite my initial reserve I would use again if on a budget.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sunnydays247
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I wish their was an option between average and very good!
Some friends were visiting me for the weekend and as I live just outside Edinburgh and the last train leaves at 10.30pm I decided to stay over too.
Let's be honest, from the reviews and look of this place, if I'd have been involved in booking accommodation I would not have picked here. However I cannot fault it on cleanliness or comfort and as I only needed a bed for the night it meet my needs. I was pretty impressed with the cooked breakfast too, even if the waitress was less than impressed when we arrived 5 minutes before they were due to stop serving!
That said a few things made me pick average rather than very good..
The bathroom is tiny and the toilet was soaked after I'd had a shower... I discovered this the hard way.
The room was really hot (in November, in Edinburgh?! ). The hotel is on a cobbled street when I opened the window every car that passed made an incredibly loud noise that kept me awake.I appreciate they can't change this but a fan would have solved the problem.
Their was an abundance of tea/coffee but no water and I couldn't get the tap water to run cold.. And no vending machines anywhere to buy water. Given how hot it was this was far from ideal.
We were on the third floor.. No lift.. Heavy bags and sore feet + 40 odd steps is not good!
Finally their were some very dubious stains on the cushions on the bed... I don't even want to begin to imagine..

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CharlieCentral
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Very basic accommodation in Edinburgh. I rated it 'average' only because apparently Edinburgh scene is not brilliant for reasonably priced hotels but it's rather depressing. I think it was a hall for students, now used as b&b. Location is convenient, very near the University.
There is no lift, you will have to drag your suitcase upstairs on your own (3 floors in my case but there are more). There is a reception until 10 pm but they won't do much more than give you the key. Staff at reception is equally divided between very dismissive and helpful.
The room was small but clean, reasonably quiet: there was a musty smell from the toilet which is very small, with a noisy fan and an ultra basic shower behind a plastic hanging, almost on the wc: there isn't any shelf to put your things on, the only toiletry provided is a body wash, no soap (I asked for it, they had none).
There is a complimentary broadband: when it works it's fast, if it doesn't work you're in trouble because the so-called tech helpdesk you have to call is less than useless.
The breakfast is good quality.
If you can afford something better I'd recommend to go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank annamcherubini
Oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Kenneth McKenzie is a no frills establishment but with redeeming features. It looks as if it may have once been student accommodation but now used for conference accommodation and the like. It is a perfect location in terms of being central and only a block to walk to Nicolson Road that becomes South Bridge then North Bridge Road which takes you on to Waverley station - the main rail station in Edinburgh. (The Festival Theatre is located around the corner as you cross Nicolson Road).
The room itself is basic with a small en suite 'wet room' style shower and toilet. There is the added advantage of a secure cupboard safe for valuables - it was even big enough to take my laptop computer. The free wi-fi - though not the morning of check-out for some reason? was a plus.
My room looked out onto other buildings so no vista but you do get your own key to the building and room so can come and go at will. The 24 hour reception for check-in/out is 'around the corner' in a courtyard that I might have overlooked without the help of the taxi driver who knew the area.
The breakfast was an unexpected pleasure - with some self service for fruit and cereals but a menu of cooked food to select from served by friendly staff. I was particularly pleased to find vegetarian haggis on the breakfast menu in addition to the usual breakfast fare as well as toast from a range of granary breads.
I think I must have had the best sleep away from home in a long time in terms of the complete quiet.
There is also the option of leaving your luggage in lock-up before or after check-in/out.
Possible negatives are that there is no lift so plenty of stairs and I saw no indication of optional wheelchair access though I suspect that the cobbled streets and uneven pavements of the hilly city of Edinburgh that spans many bridged street levels are also not that wheel -chair friendly?

As I was partly in Edinburgh for work and partly for pleasure I am not sure how the rates compare with other accommodation but I would not hesitate to stay there again in terms of location, convenience and quiet.

Room Tip: No lift in this multi story biulding
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Safaria

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel for the last night of the Tattoo the room was basic but had everything we needed the breakfast next morning was to die for, it was worth staying here just for the breakfast the staff were very friendly and helpful and on the day of our departure we were allowed to store our bags there free of charge for the whole day thus allowing us to explore the city more freely highly recommended. 5 * for me

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed here for three nights in August, during the fringe festival, we were in Edinburgh for the military tattoo. It cost us $630aud for three nights and was not worth it in the slightest. I'm fairly sure I've stayed in hostels for $20 per night that were better than this. The room was small, which I don't mind because I don't go to a city to stay in my room all day. The bathroom was more like a shower room that you would find in a hospital therefore everything was soaked after you turned the shower on. The shower hardly worked either. The whole place smelt cold and damp and it looked dirty. The breakfast was awful, the waiter handed us our cutlery with his fingers all over the part you eat with, the lump of haggis and one egg looked inedible. We only had breakfast one morning because we couldn't eat there again. The room was so hot and the only way you got any air was by opening the window which meant you had seagulls screeching from the ledge all morning from about 4am. There was a worksite behind the building also which meant loud noise in the early morning. The good this was the close distance to the royal mile. 15 minute walk to princes street. They have a laundry and free wifi. Had this place recommended to us a couple of years ago and I think it must've gone downhill since then. The gentleman who greeted us upon checkin was lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends