“Great stay”

Ranked #146 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Loule, Portugal
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel back in March and I'm sorry I have not written my review sooner.
The staff at the hotel were so nice I had e mailed them before we arrived as we were not getting to the hotel till gone midnight, it was no problem and there was someone waiting to let us in . The room was clean and lovely and warm. Breakfast was good more than we were expecting for the money we paid.
The location of the hotel was good too close to most things. If we ever go back to Edingburgh we will be staying at Hotel Twenty.
Thank you all for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback . As you are aware we are upgrading the hotel and hopefully we will reach the 4/5 star standard we are looking to achieve, as well as keeping the prices very reasonable. It was a pleasure having you at Hotel Twenty and hopefully we will see you again in the near future.Thank for choosing to stay at Hotel twenty.

John Kelly Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Having booked for a night at Hotel Twenty at an extremely reasonable rate, we began to wonder before arrival whether it could be as good as we had hoped. We knew it was being updated, but any worries we had were soon allayed as we were warmly greeted by John the manager. The bedroom was very clean, the breakfast very good,and the management couldn't have been more helpful. Add to that a very good Thai restaurant on the premises and a very central location, and here is a good place to stop, which will certainly do on our next visit to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Our room at the back was nice and quiet.Telephone the hotel first to discuss your requirements with...
Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. It was a pleasure having you as guests at Hotel Twenty. As you are aware we are upgrading the hotel rooms and reception areas, we are hoping to achieve a 4-5 star standard hotel and still charge 3 - 3 1/2 star prices. We are hoping that when you come again you will see a big difference in the Hotel, Bar, Restaurant. Again thank you from all here at Hotel twenty.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel the night before my uni interview and couldn't have asked for a better place. The hotel has recently been taken over and refurbishment is still being finalised but this doesn't affect your stay. My room was perfect, clean, basic comfort with free wi-fi. The hotel staff were more than helpful, putting breakfast on early for me, booking a taxi and allowing me to leave my luggage for free, alongside just great customer service from both the manager and other staff. The hotel is in a central location just beside the Playhouse and has a thai restaurant and bar attached, I would gladly return for a longer stay, highly recommended, thanks Hotel Twenty :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Bitburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I appreciate that this hotel is being done over, and I hope that when it is complete it is all the owner hopes for, but at this time it is not a venue I recommend.

The rooms are on street level, but reception is down a flight of stairs, so when guests enter, they do so right outside the rooms and then have to figure out where to go and what to do with their luggage, so it is an awkward set up and can be quite noisy. I also did not feel as though this was secure, since during the day the front door was wedged open. Anyone could enter off the street, and not be seen by the front desk since that is downstairs. There is a sticker on the door announcing CCTV, but the cord to the only camera I could see dangled unplugged next to our room door. The door was locked in the evenings, which made me feel a bit better.

Our bed had a very poor mattress on it which I would liken to a futon mattress. We were there to participate in a sporting event, and had really hoped for good sleep but were not able to do that largely due to the mattress, but also due to the noise level from other guests and possibly even the night staff. I believe the bar staff (possibly it was guests, but the discussion seemed to be about the renovations) was smoking out back under our window and having a very loud discussion in the wee hours of the morning which woke us and kept us awake. I never saw other guests, but by the sound of it there was a bachelor party taking place in the halls that night.

One small thing I think could make a difference would be if management adjusted the springs which close the doors automatically. These are currently set to slam very loudly, but I believe they could be readjusted to pull the doors shut quietly as they are in other hotels. The doors slamming throughout the night really wore on our nerves, as it was so loud as to be heard through our earplugs.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly to us, but our room was unfortunately not cleaned to my standards. On our first night there, whilst looking for the missing remote control I found an empty crisps bag and candy wrappers underneath the bed. That could be simply an oversight, but it caused me to look more closely at the room and it wasn't as meticulously cleaned as one might hope.

I do think that this could be a great place after the renovations are done, but I would suggest the management bring in a consultant to work out the final details and make it more enticing and comfortable for the guests. Best of luck on the renovations.

Room Tip: Perhaps there are quieter rooms than those which open to the entryway; if I were to stay again I'...
1 Thank AmyJosie

John Kelly Manager

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

It is an absolutely amazing hotel! Locate at a quiet place but quite closed to the city center. Cozy room, good service with reasonable price. I stayed there for only one night with my mom but both of us like this place very much! The breakfast buffet was AWESOME and so was the inner decoration i.e. the stairs, the trousers iron board (which is quite British lol). The hotel managers are warm and friendly. P.S. Manager John is cute lol

Room Tip: room 10 is quite nice! quiet and with a view of a small garden!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Moondust_wuwowow

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I spent 5 nights in Hotel Twenty with my wife. Really good location only 8 mins walk from Waverly Station. There are plenty of beautiful places to see a very short walking distance (Calton Hill, Regent Gardens, St James Centre). The room had absolutely everything we needed. The manager, John, was the best. Eddie is a really friendly and helpful man. Our plane was landed at 23:00 pm, but was not problem in check in. They are always reply for all e-mails. The breakfast was perfect. We recommend to anyone staying in Edinburgh! Thank you for a memorable stay. Lots of luck for the future!

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

the location is grate and the staff are friendly and helpful. another plus is that they have a Thai restaurant downstairs that serves some of the best Thai food i have ever eaten (in or out of Thailand)

John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay, and you had such a wonderful meal.

We have concentrated our repairs to date on the reception, restaurant and bar areas, and hopefully within the next 12 months, we will have the whole hotel to the same standard as downstairs.