“Great staff but smelly.”
Review of Hotel Twenty

Hotel Twenty
Ranked #148 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 April 2014

GOOD POINTS:
Location only 15-20 minute walk from the Royal Mile area, and competitive price. Very friendly staff, who were genuine, welcoming and chatty. Late(ish) checkout appealed (11am). Average room, which fronted onto the street but still was quiet enough.
BAD POINTS:
Mattress shot, in bad need of replacement (alcohol required to sleep well). Breakfast pretty cheap and cheerful, with a limited choice, and we had to beg to have more than half a small cup of coffee. Unfortunately there is a Thai restaurant in the hotel and the smell of the oil and the cooking permeates the whole hotel it seems. There were times when our room smelled of fish and cooking oil and our room was quite far away from the kitchen.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review and taking your time out to do this. It was a pleasure having you at Hotel Twenty and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again and hopefully next time you visit we would have completed some more of the upgrading. I

Reviewed 25 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed for 2 nights and found the hotel very clean, comfortable and welcoming. It's location is great and it also has it's own Thai restaraunt. We stayed in room 5 with a garden view which was very peaceful. Will be returning and highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review and taking your time out to do this. It was a pleasure haveing you at Hotel Twenty and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again and hopefully next time you visit we would have completed some more of the upgrading.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night and had a lovely stay. The staff couldn't't have been more helpful - giving us advice on where to go, free maps on which they marked out places we wanted to see, local bus information and suggestions that my daughter might like. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They also gave us passes for a free breakfast, even though we had only paid £28- a bargain price. Breakfast was lovely as well - fresh croissants and juice. We will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate M
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Hotel Twenty for one night last week. The hotel is situated around a couple of minutes walk from the Edinburgh Playhouse at the end of Princess Street and is easy to find. I can't comment on the parking as I was on foot.

When I walked in, the place smelled really clean and fresh. Always a good start! I had an early check-in which went smoothly and the owner John greeted me, introduced himself and shook my hand (which I thought was a nice touch). He said to ask if I needed anything and to enjoy my stay. He also explained that the hotel is being gradually renovated over time.
My room (room 1) was freshly decorated in a funky contemporary red/black and white colour scheme and of a fine size. It had a single bed, a large wardrobe with plenty of hanging space, a chest of drawers, a good sized digital TV (with working remote!) and a complimentary tray with tea and coffee. There was fresh towels, little soaps and some tubes of body wash.
The room was very clean, as was the en-suite shower room.
I was surprised to read that some of the other reviews found the room cold. I came back to the room at 9pm and it was lovely and warm, despite being very cold outside.
I checked out in the morning and chatted with one of the other staff and found him very friendly  and efficient too.
I can't comment on the breakfasts as I didn't have breakfast at the hotel.

A couple of small points to note is that room 1 is located at the front of the hotel and is level with the road. If you are a very light sleeper then the road noise may annoy you slightly, but I found it no trouble. Also, the room is above a pad Thai restaurant and the cooking smells were making me hungry!

I would definitely stay here again, and recommend this hotel to other travellers. I thought that the location and price was excellent for the city of Edinburgh. Also, it was very clean and the owner and his staff were very friendly, efficient and welcoming.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Miss G

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stopped here for 1 night in late march 2014,this hotel is warm and welcoming,clean with pleasant decor and a really good price for central edinburgh,with views overlooking carlton hill.
There are many shops,bars,restaurants,cinema and a theatre nearby.

Room Tip: booking.com
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for six days and it was exelente! Even if I was not lucky to have a new room wich I wasn't even bothered because I only used the room to sleep.
My room was tidy and clean! Eddie and John was exelente to me and my partner they helped us with any issue that I could have! The only thing that I did wrong was to go to the Thai pad on the last day because I coudnt go back again, it was delicious the staff was friendly!
Thank you for doing the extra mile for us!
Leonardo and Rubina