“Beware of Room 8”

Ranked #144 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“Beware of Room 8”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I chose this hotel mainly because of the reviews and location. I booked for 3 nights.

I arrived at about 3.30pm. When entering the hotel I found the reception downstairs. I was met by the friendly receptionist. He gave me the keys for Room 8 and told me this was the quietest room in the hotel.

The room was directly across from the reception. Room 8 was a double room and I was surprised there were no wardrobe and a lack of drawers for clothing. The shower room was quite small and the toilet brush was dirty and disgusting. There were no lights on the ceiling and generally the lighting was poor. There was no fridge in the room.

After settling in I became aware of the noise. The reception was outside the bedroom door and I could hear every noise quite clearly. I could hear the noise from the reception, reception area, restaurant kitchen, takeaway area and the restaurant toilet that was next to my room. The noise was so clear I could hear the receptionist typing, munching a bag of crisps and burping. There was a lot of noise from the staff and I also heard swearing.

It was raining quite heavily outside so decided to stay in my room. At about 7.30pm I had enough of the noise and made a complaint. The girl was very friendly and helpful and said I could move to another room the following morning. There was no shaver point in the shower room so I asked if there was an adaptor I could use. She said there wasn’t. The noise lessened during the night and I finally got some peace and quiet at midnight.

I moved to Room 9 upstairs the following day. The room was a lot bigger than Room 8. The shower room floor was quite dirty and there was a lot of dust in the room. Parts of the carpet were threadbare and the curtains and blind were see-through. The room was certainly a lot quieter than Room 8 and even had a shaver point, and I also found a shaver adaptor in one of the drawers.

Both rooms were looking tired and badly in need of a refurbishment.

I had a look at the decking area outside and it looked dirty and the seating was in a poor condition. I didn’t see anyone use that area during my stay.

I had breakfast each morning. There was only a choice of continental. I was surprised they didn’t offer a cooked breakfast considering they had the restaurant kitchen. The food and drinks were of poor quality.

I was disappointed I wasn’t offered some form of compensation for my first day/night, even a free meal in the restaurant would have been acceptable. I think Room 8 is totally unsuitable for guests to stay in.

I think this hotel has a lot of potential and just needs the owner to spend some money on refurbishment.

This hotel seemed more like a 2 star rather than a 3 star. I’ll not be back and will not be recommending to any of my friends and family.

Room Tip: I you plan to book a room make sure you don't end up with Room 8!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael R
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest ,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel and can only hope that if you visit again you will have a much more positive one. As you are well aware we are under renovation and are replacing all the beds and furniture in the rooms. Your reviews are important to us and will be taken in to consideration.

Yours sincerely
John Kelly Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed overnight as we were going on holiday the next day
We get into the room and it was tiny they bed sheets had crumbs on the beds and black marks but we didn't say anything the bathroom was terrible and so small
In the morning we got our breakfast, very simple and my apple juice was fizzy and the milk for the tea was floating on top it was disgusting

• Stayed July 2014
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest ,

Yours sincerely
John Kelly Manager

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel as the reviews of other peoples stays were very good. We were expecting to be wowed due to these review but we did not receive this same experience, however this didn't mean we didn't enjoy our stay here. The hotel was very busy and the staff tried to be as helpful as possible but they were very busy at times. The continental breakfast could be improved as it lacked a bit of quality, the coffee was not great to be honest and the cereal tasted cheap. I would have preferred to have paid more for better quality produce. The location was very good for us and the hotel was very good value for money. No real complaints just a few improvements could have made us feel wowed. Hope not to sound too negative I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fitzybear619
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review and taking your time out to do this. It was a pleasure having you at Hotel Twenty and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again and hopefully next time you visit we would have completed some more of the upgrading.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Excellent value for money the staff are friendly and make you feel welcome my father and me had a comfortable two night stay in a front facing room and has easy access to public tansport and is only a short walk from bars resturants and the playhouse and city center. The room was a twin room with two single beds wich was modern and clean.Breakfast was simple but filling.The only concern i had was the main road outside wich is busy and noisy throughout the night so i would recommend a back room other wise a very nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this review, 1 July 2014

Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I travelled alone & had a single road facing room (16 June 2014). I always wear earplugs & they were most certainly needed. the room itself was modern & very clean. the breakfast was the most basic I've ever encountered but adequate.
not for a long stay in my opinion, but if I'm travelling alone in Edinburgh again I would use it.

Room Tip: the road facing rooms are very noisy due to the busy road..
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed one night, then a further two nights after being on tour for a few days.
Firstly, let me dispel some of the other comments about the breakfasts, there is plenty of selection to satisfy anyone, cereals, juices, tea and coffee, bread and waffles and the loveliest of cheeses, jams, etc etc. I have watched them be replenished with speed. No one should go hungry here.
John is making a superb effort with the refurbishments of the rooms as far as we could tell. Plenty of drawer space, nice floors, bedding and towels very good. And all for a very reasonable price.
We found all members of johns team extremely friendly and helpful, Eddie is a gem, and the very pretty dark haired lass (sorry did not get her name) and John himself, could not do a better job.
Only thing I found hard was the traffic, it's non stop all night but there's nothing these good folk can do about that in reality.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dingdongNewZealand

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel excellent location, handy for walking and all buses. Plenty of restauants and bars near by. Staff very helpful and knowledgeable about the city. We did not have a refurbished room the bedroom was large and at the back of the property so was lovely and quiet during the night. The bathroom certainly needed upgrading we are 3 mature ladies and missed not having a shelf to put our toiletries on or hooks to hang our towels. The management are in the process of upgrading rooms. The restauant in down a spiral staircase, not too good for the less able. The breakfast is very basic with cheap yoghurts, and cereals and the croissants were horrible. We would willing have paid more for a better quality breakfast. The cooking of the Thai restaurant did permeate throughout the building.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends