“Good location”
Review of Hotel Twenty

Hotel Twenty
Ranked #148 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a rough start finding this place. There are several London Sts in this town. You need the one north of the park. This is north and a little west of the main bus station on the bridge. Once we figured out where it was, the walk to the bus station in 17 minutes (which takes you directly to the airport- Airlink 100).

The place could use some updates. The bathroom was small. The carpet needs replacing but they had throw rugs on top of it. It is a nice looking Georgian row house close to the action.
It was clean enough to be ok.

Continental breakfast buffet (cereal, yogurt, toast)-free

There is a thai restaurant in the basement which was super convenient for dinner (plus a 10% discount for hotel guests). You can smell the thai food, which is fine with me, but would not be good for people who don't like spice or thai smells.

The hotel staff was super kind. I lost my credit card and they helped me call my credit card carrier to cancel it.

Room Tip: Wifi only works in the main hall
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for your positive review and taking your time out to do this. It was a pleasure having you at Hotel Twenty and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again and hopefully next time you visit we would have completed some more of the upgrading.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Unfortunately I don't have many positives to say about this place. I stayed here for two nights, in which the first night I found the bed had strange white marks on the red sheets (your guess is as much as mine as to what those marks were). The pillow stunk of hair products and fungus that I inhaled during my sleep, oh and long black hairs. The bathroom is tiny, you shuffle sideways to get in (I'm not a big person either). The shower was like you were standing in a foot basin, you could turn around 360 but watch your shoulders!

The toilet when we arrived had poo in and around the toilet bowl, we called the cleaner in who was rather annoyed at us for asking him to clean, funnily enough that was his job..
He got the toilet cleaning brush, wiped around the toilet, inside - no cleaning, so poo was just getting smudged into the seat. He then turned off the light (oh, forgot to wash his hands), opened the bathroom door, then the main door, then wondered off with a very angry bang. Who knows where those pooey hands continued..

When I asked the lady downstairs the next morning to clean the pillows at least, she responded in a way that tells me she gets asked that frequently. However, the pillows were changed after the 'cleaners' had come in. They smelt clean too. Phew!

Breakfast was interesting. Everyone was quiet, I think they were inspecting their food rather intensely. One of the waitresses went to put more cheese on the board, came back and dropped the whole plate of cheese, saw my stare, went into the kitchen and left the plate (probably pretending to change the cheese) and came back out with the same plate, and cheese, not touched. I was horrified. Did I mention the floors look dusty and dirty? Yikes!

This hotel wasn't something we could come and relax in, it smelt horrendous and just dirty. So lying around and relaxing was not something you could enjoy here.

My suggestion to this hotel: Get better cleaners. The place has a great location, close to Princes Street and could be rather nice (like the photos on here) if you found some cleaners who actually did a good job. It's a shame, as it was a massive let down.

Room Tip: Rooms that are clean perhaps?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lannah1986

Dear Guest ,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel and can only hope that if you visit again you will have a much more positive one. As you are well aware we are under renovation and are replacing all the beds and furniture in the rooms. Your reviews are important to us and will be taken in to consideration.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here with my partner over Easter weekend and I can not fault this hotel, rooms were fab, staff were so helpful as well. The location was spot on, 10min walk from train station and close to bars and restaurants. We never had breakfast (too hungover) but it was offered. Will definitely be staying again. Thanks John for a brill stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest ,
I thank you for taking your time out to comment on your stay at the hotel . As you are aware we are under going a full refurbishment and when complete hoping to reach a 4* standard we feel this hotel should be at . Again i thank you for your stay and look forward to you visiting again.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I chose this hotel mainly because of the reviews and location. I booked for 3 nights.

I arrived at about 3.30pm. When entering the hotel I found the reception downstairs. I was met by the friendly receptionist. He gave me the keys for Room 8 and told me this was the quietest room in the hotel.

The room was directly across from the reception. Room 8 was a double room and I was surprised there were no wardrobe and a lack of drawers for clothing. The shower room was quite small and the toilet brush was dirty and disgusting. There were no lights on the ceiling and generally the lighting was poor. There was no fridge in the room.

After settling in I became aware of the noise. The reception was outside the bedroom door and I could hear every noise quite clearly. I could hear the noise from the reception, reception area, restaurant kitchen, takeaway area and the restaurant toilet that was next to my room. The noise was so clear I could hear the receptionist typing, munching a bag of crisps and burping. There was a lot of noise from the staff and I also heard swearing.

It was raining quite heavily outside so decided to stay in my room. At about 7.30pm I had enough of the noise and made a complaint. The girl was very friendly and helpful and said I could move to another room the following morning. There was no shaver point in the shower room so I asked if there was an adaptor I could use. She said there wasn’t. The noise lessened during the night and I finally got some peace and quiet at midnight.

I moved to Room 9 upstairs the following day. The room was a lot bigger than Room 8. The shower room floor was quite dirty and there was a lot of dust in the room. Parts of the carpet were threadbare and the curtains and blind were see-through. The room was certainly a lot quieter than Room 8 and even had a shaver point, and I also found a shaver adaptor in one of the drawers.

Both rooms were looking tired and badly in need of a refurbishment.

I had a look at the decking area outside and it looked dirty and the seating was in a poor condition. I didn’t see anyone use that area during my stay.

I had breakfast each morning. There was only a choice of continental. I was surprised they didn’t offer a cooked breakfast considering they had the restaurant kitchen. The food and drinks were of poor quality.

I was disappointed I wasn’t offered some form of compensation for my first day/night, even a free meal in the restaurant would have been acceptable. I think Room 8 is totally unsuitable for guests to stay in.

I think this hotel has a lot of potential and just needs the owner to spend some money on refurbishment.

This hotel seemed more like a 2 star rather than a 3 star. I’ll not be back and will not be recommending to any of my friends and family.

Room Tip: I you plan to book a room make sure you don't end up with Room 8!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael R

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed overnight as we were going on holiday the next day
We get into the room and it was tiny they bed sheets had crumbs on the beds and black marks but we didn't say anything the bathroom was terrible and so small
In the morning we got our breakfast, very simple and my apple juice was fizzy and the milk for the tea was floating on top it was disgusting

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel as the reviews of other peoples stays were very good. We were expecting to be wowed due to these review but we did not receive this same experience, however this didn't mean we didn't enjoy our stay here. The hotel was very busy and the staff tried to be as helpful as possible but they were very busy at times. The continental breakfast could be improved as it lacked a bit of quality, the coffee was not great to be honest and the cereal tasted cheap. I would have preferred to have paid more for better quality produce. The location was very good for us and the hotel was very good value for money. No real complaints just a few improvements could have made us feel wowed. Hope not to sound too negative I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fitzybear619
John K, Manager at Hotel Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Excellent value for money the staff are friendly and make you feel welcome my father and me had a comfortable two night stay in a front facing room and has easy access to public tansport and is only a short walk from bars resturants and the playhouse and city center. The room was a twin room with two single beds wich was modern and clean.Breakfast was simple but filling.The only concern i had was the main road outside wich is busy and noisy throughout the night so i would recommend a back room other wise a very nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family