We booked Abercorn as we were attending a wedding in Edinburgh. The hotels in the city were so expensive and car parking was not easily available. Being an avid Trip Advisor reader, we felt sure we would be well looked after at Abercorn.
There were a few emails back and to, between Angela and I, all very friendly and welcoming. On the Tuesday prior to our arrival on Friday, the clutch went in my car. Got it sorted by Thursday night and left home at 5.30 Friday morning, having thrown most of the bedroom in the boot of the car. Bad luck or what, the rear tyre blew on the motorway, 45 mins from home. Waited 50 mins for green flag to change tyre and then got well and truly ripped off by ATS in Westhoughton. We could not go all the way to Portobello without a spare tyre.
On arrival at Abercorn, Angela had popped out, but we had the warmest of welcome from her daughter, who showed us to our room and made a huge effort to make us comfortable. We unpacked and collapsed on the bed with a glass of wine. Not long after there was a knock at our door, Angela wrapped her arms around me and said "oh you poor things, what a nightmare"
From then on in I can't tell you how much we enjoyed staying with Angela and her family. John her father, was the most fantastic guy we have ever met. Interesting, knowledgable and just the nicest man you could wish to meet.
The house is undoubtably the best you will find, clean, comfortable, welcoming, beautiful furnishings, but most of all you are made to feel part of the family. Why pay extortionate fees to stay in the city, when the bus goes all day and night. We took a taxi into the city ( kindly arranged by Angela). Not the best thing to take the bus, when in wedding finery. It was £11.00 going and not much more coming back.
The rooms are so lovely, gardens to sit and chill, nothing was too much trouble. I am certain you will not get a better, tastier, or varied breakfast menu anywhere. All freshly cooked (I think by hubby on Sunday) and served by the gorgeous lady herself. Boy does she look good when she's had a night out. Energy, enthusiasm abounds, she is just amazing. Very sad we didn't actually meet Mr. but he was washing the pots.
The two dogs are a joy, all staff fantastic, lovely extras in the room, there was nothing we needed to ask for.
Portobello was basking in sunshine whilst we were there, what a stunning place to be. The beach, dining options, and hospitality all round was superb.
Having the problem with my car, prior to leaving home, I missed my nail and hair appointment. I called at Live Laugh Love, hair and beauty, an Aveda salon, just over the road from Abercorn, on the off chance they would try to fit me in. They didn't have time for my nails, but managed to fit me in to wash/blow hair. What an experience. Full head, neck and shoulder massage, prior to hair washed conditioned and styled. I took a fascinator to be fitted and although the stylist had never met me before. My hair was amazing. I felt a million dollars and would recommend this salon to anybody staying with Angela. We will be going back soon to stay with Angela and family, but I will also be making an appointment at the salon.
Sorry if this was a long review, but believe me you must just GO.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Abercorn is a large Victorian family property, an Old Manse built in 1870. This luxurious four-star GOLD accommodation has recently been refurbished and offers double ,twin and family rooms for up to 5 persons. Easy access to city center every 10 minutes and the buses are 24 hours a day and close to sandy beach, shops and restaurants. A very warm welcome awaits, so why not book today and have a superb stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Abercorn Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Abercorn Guest House Hotel Edinburgh
- Abercorn Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland