“A wonderful, friendly and comfortable home from home.”

and 1 more site!
Abercorn Guest House
Ranked #34 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Think of all those attributes you wish for in a B&B, a comfy home from home, friendly and helpful and well priced. The Abercorn and it's lovely owner Angela provide all these in spades and much more as well. I stayed here last January, visiting Portobello for a very sad occasion and Angela was nothing short of marvelous and lightened my mood and made me feel very welcome. I wish the Abercorn every success in the future and I hope other B&B owners learn from Angela's wonderful example!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jelliski
There are newer reviews for Abercorn Guest House

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We booked Abercorn as we were attending a wedding in Edinburgh. The hotels in the city were so expensive and car parking was not easily available. Being an avid Trip Advisor reader, we felt sure we would be well looked after at Abercorn.

There were a few emails back and to, between Angela and I, all very friendly and welcoming. On the Tuesday prior to our arrival on Friday, the clutch went in my car. Got it sorted by Thursday night and left home at 5.30 Friday morning, having thrown most of the bedroom in the boot of the car. Bad luck or what, the rear tyre blew on the motorway, 45 mins from home. Waited 50 mins for green flag to change tyre and then got well and truly ripped off by ATS in Westhoughton. We could not go all the way to Portobello without a spare tyre.

On arrival at Abercorn, Angela had popped out, but we had the warmest of welcome from her daughter, who showed us to our room and made a huge effort to make us comfortable. We unpacked and collapsed on the bed with a glass of wine. Not long after there was a knock at our door, Angela wrapped her arms around me and said "oh you poor things, what a nightmare"

From then on in I can't tell you how much we enjoyed staying with Angela and her family. John her father, was the most fantastic guy we have ever met. Interesting, knowledgable and just the nicest man you could wish to meet.

The house is undoubtably the best you will find, clean, comfortable, welcoming, beautiful furnishings, but most of all you are made to feel part of the family. Why pay extortionate fees to stay in the city, when the bus goes all day and night. We took a taxi into the city ( kindly arranged by Angela). Not the best thing to take the bus, when in wedding finery. It was £11.00 going and not much more coming back.

The rooms are so lovely, gardens to sit and chill, nothing was too much trouble. I am certain you will not get a better, tastier, or varied breakfast menu anywhere. All freshly cooked (I think by hubby on Sunday) and served by the gorgeous lady herself. Boy does she look good when she's had a night out. Energy, enthusiasm abounds, she is just amazing. Very sad we didn't actually meet Mr. but he was washing the pots.

The two dogs are a joy, all staff fantastic, lovely extras in the room, there was nothing we needed to ask for.

Portobello was basking in sunshine whilst we were there, what a stunning place to be. The beach, dining options, and hospitality all round was superb.

Having the problem with my car, prior to leaving home, I missed my nail and hair appointment. I called at Live Laugh Love, hair and beauty, an Aveda salon, just over the road from Abercorn, on the off chance they would try to fit me in. They didn't have time for my nails, but managed to fit me in to wash/blow hair. What an experience. Full head, neck and shoulder massage, prior to hair washed conditioned and styled. I took a fascinator to be fitted and although the stylist had never met me before. My hair was amazing. I felt a million dollars and would recommend this salon to anybody staying with Angela. We will be going back soon to stay with Angela and family, but I will also be making an appointment at the salon.

Sorry if this was a long review, but believe me you must just GO.

Room Tip: We were on the front of the house, but it's so far back from the road, you couldn't possibly...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jackie132
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Beautifully furnished B&B with a wonderful hostess at a great location. We loved the breakfast, the hospitality, and the very quiet location close to Portobello beach. A trip to the city with the bus was simple, parking on the road was easily available and free.
We had a beautiful upstairs room with all the amenities you need (and more).
Would like to mention that the heating was great - not a given in the UK!
We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Edinburgh!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013

A 15 minute bus ride outside of Edinburgh, but only a five minute walk to the beach. A stunnning building with very comfortable and spacious rooms. Angela was very accommodating, nothing was too much trouble, breakfast was great. Very happy to recommend (and make sure you ask to meet Lilly and Henry)!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank damo71
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We spent 3 nights with Angela at the Abercorn and found the whole experience fantastic. Angela is generous with her time and is obviously passionate about what she does - running a great B & B. The location is close to the ocean with plenty of eating and drinking options and a short bus ride from the centre of Edinboro. The guest house is an old building with big rooms that have been refurbished with easy street parking right outside. The breakfasts were great as were all our breakfasts at the places we stayed. We would recommend this to family and friends and have no hesitation in staying here again. Thanks Angela

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2013

the host is a doll and her husband you really feel at home, very helpful on sites and city knowledge. walking in is a pleasant experience, smells fresh and is beautiful. room is very spacious with lots of little touches, up to-date comfort - if your looking for hotel greetings that is super nit picky stay away its all about the homey feel you might make a new friend. very easy to get to Edinburgh city by bus, the location is 2 blocks from the beach which we loved just getting away from the busy city. the ocean is awesome with plenty pubs and resturaunts. we would not recommend the tapas resturaunt - loved the stay will be back - next time we will book direct with the owners as booking dot come takes 20% of the owners price plus 20% VAT tax. they work hard for the money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Just returned from a short trip to Edinburgh, where my Mum and I stayed at Angela's lovely Abercorn Guest House in Portabello. Angela was welcoming and friendly our rooms were comfy and breakfasts were good too! The Guest House is a short bus ride from Edinburgh's City Centre (number 15 or 26 bus). The seashore is a three minute walk from the Guest House and you can find nice cafes, pubs, shops and some restaurants close by.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family