“Beautiful Setting.”

and 1 more site!
Abercorn Guest House
Ranked #38 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Burke
Reviewed 13 September 2006

When I arrived at the Abercorn B&B Guest House, I was very pleased. It is a beautiful and very well maintained home built in 1870. Angela and her family live there and have restored and upgraded the house. Angela is friendly and welcoming. She is helpful and provides an excellent breakfast with a large selection of food. There was plenty to eat. The choices comprised of cereals, breads, yogurt, fruits, eggs, meats, juices, coffee, tea, jams and jellies. There are snacks and an electric pot to make hot beverages in the room. The room was lovely and the bathroom in the room was beautiful. Everything was very clean, nicely decorated and cheery. I particularly enjoyed my breakfast in the sun room. The weather was fantastic.

I walked to the beach several days which is only a few blocks from the Abercorn B&B.

My last day walking back fron the beach, I stopped to sit on a bench at a beautiful little park one block from Abercorn B&B. This was a nice ending to a very busy and fun extended weekend to Edinburgh.

I highly recommend the Abercorn B&B. It was an excellent retreat after a busy day in Centre City. The price is reasonable. The house is beautiful. Angela knows how to treat her guest.

• Liked — Angela's personality along with the house and it's surroundings
  • Disliked — I wasn't able to stay longer
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want a different breakfeast each day, please fill out the breakfeast menu in the room.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
3 Thank ks4u
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2006

I agree with the July 22 review. I stayed at the Abercorn in July too after reading the rave reviews. I admit that my expectations were set high after that and so I was a little (just a little) disappointed when I arrived. It is quite a ways outside of the city but the bus stop is close to the house and it takes you directly to Princes St. But at the same time it was neat to be so close to the beach. I did also have problems with the toilet flushing well and the shower pressure. But overall I was comfortable there and Angela was definitely very nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank FloridaGirl21
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 29 July 2006

we have been staying every year at the Abercorn Guest House for the past nine years. We found it quite by accident as the hotel we origionally chose was full up, and we were asked to try Mr and Mrs McDonalds. As our title tells you we have named it 'Our little piece of Heaven'. Its a totally home from home establishment and rate it along the lines of some of the top hotels that we have stayed through out the world. Hospitality is Excellent, Food is Fabulous, Angela always gives a top class breakfast, and is easily approached, she helped with taxi's, theatre tickets, and places to see, I can honestly not say enough about this accommodation, we have recommended it to family and friends throuout the world, and even they say how wonderful it is. You will not be dissappointed with this accommodation, and it offers a fantastic oppurtunity to see Edinburgh. All i can say is try it for yourself, if this was not a nice place to stay i would not return as often as i do, i can't wait to go back this September and returning is like visitng old friends. I am not worried about leaving my details unlike some reviews made. Hope to see you soon, Mr and Mrs R Larkin.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank ange67
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2006

We stayed at the Abercorn in Mid July and had a great visit. Angela was extremely nice and very helpful. Anything we asked for was provided. The house is beautiful and the decor splendid. We had an upstairs room, which was a bit tough managing heavy suitcases, but help was always available and friendly. Unlike the previous review, we enjoyed the breakfast, although it was not always consistent. One day 2 of everything was served, the next, only 1. However, I'm sure if we asked, more would have been provided. The shower was a disappointment. The bathroom was very nice, but the water in the shower was a slow dribble. Seperate hot and cold spigots were an inconvenience for shaving.

Overall, we really liked this place and would recommend it. The location was very convenient, and the bus service into town was great. Angela was extremely nice and helpful.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank wvgolfchic
Manchester, England
Reviewed 22 July 2006

Reading all the other reviews about this guest house you'd think it was the Waldorf. We had a comfortable four days in Portabello - the weather was great and the hotel is only a five minute walk from the beach. Public transport into Edinburgh was very convenient. The guest house is a beautiful Georgian building. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well decorated, and we loved the shutters on the window which stopped the sun waking us up in the early hours.

BUT not everything was perfect; did the other reviewers have very low expectations or am I just very picky? The en-suite toilet was a very poor flusher, the shower was a dribble and the breakfasts, which everyone else has raved about, were very ordinary English (not Scottish - no sign of porridge) which you had to order the day before. I only had one cooked breakfast; sausage not best quality, eggs a bit overcooked, mushrooms and tomatoes sitting in a pool of oil. After that I just had the "continental buffet" - cereal, a bowl of apples, bananas and oranges, grapefruit a little past its best (slightly fizzy), toast and jam/marmalade in those little packets which never taste as good as the stuff in jars. The breakfast was OK, but not as fantastic as the other reviewers make out.

Still, this was a good B&B, better than most hotels in that price range, and I would recommend it to others, just don't expect it to be as good as Tan-yr-plas in Porthmadog - that really is a fantastic guest house, but not convenient for Edinburgh!!

• Liked — Georgian building
  • Disliked — toilets
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family