MW Townhouse
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$606
US$488
Hotels.com
US$250
Hotels.com
US$196
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$271
  • Bar/Lounge
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$198
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$279
US$222
US$202
  • Pool
All reviewswould stay here againpleasant staytop floorguesthouseensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2008

do not stay .this has changed ownership since recieving 4 stars.
we booked a double. they had no record of booking we recieved
a twin. the general maintenance has stopped, grass at front of building hadnt even been cut. have never recived such a bad
breakfast as as the one we had. spoke to the lady who owned the b and b to be told that she has never cooked meat before buying the bb.never been so dissapointed. would rather stay at a travel lodge and have breakfast at mcdonalds.

seriously think this should now be classed as 2 star!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dom2208
Reviewed 29 June 2008

MW Townhouse was an acceptable accommodation in Edinburgh. In a very quiet neighborhood not far from Arthur's Seat, this B & B had rooms that were perfectly acceptable with decent beds and bathrooms. Breakfast was quite nice with decent hot and cold foods. The proprieters were friendly and helpful. The location is a fair hike from the royal mile, but we did not mind and walked both ways each day. It is a reasonable place to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank clsohiotraveler
Reviewed 3 November 2007

This accommodation was booked for me by some course oganisers. I told them my budget and then they sent me the details of this place.

I was a bit dubious when they referred to it as a B&B but it was nothing of the sort. There were no grumpy old landladies giving you lectures about making too much noise and not a piece of chintzy furnishing in sight!

Arrival was a little disorganised as I had forgotten to tell them when I was arriving but I found someone else from my course on the doorstep when I arrived who had phoned the owner and he was there within 10 mins.

Like many people have mentioned on here we had to check-in round the corner at the sister hotel and then walk round. The owner accompanied us and made sure we were installed in our rooms.

My room was beautiful and showed off the Edinburgh architecture at its best. Big room, high ceiling, shuttered windows, cornicing etc. I lived in Edinburgh for several years so this brough back happy memories! The room was very contemporary (see photos) and very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a large shower and very soft towels.

Breakfast was cooked to order and looked lovely although I didn't have one (not a fan of cooked breakfasts!) but the tea was good and came in large pots!

Check-out was fairly easy even though there were quite a few of us from the course who stayed their and we all paid individually. The owner made sure that we all got out on time and phoned for a taxi for us as well.

I should also mention that although there was no wireless, there was a computer in the foyer that you could use (free of charge obviously) and I used this with no problems at all.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank machar
Reviewed 8 September 2007

I know we stayed here several months ago but I only now had time to write the review. I found out about the MW Townhouse by looking at the Visit Scotland website and the one for the property itself. I liked the way it looked and the prices are very reasonable given the current exchange rate. I contacted the property directly and made a reservation. A few weeks before my mom and I were to arrive we were offered a room upgrade at no addtional charge. We stayed at the MW Townhouse for 5 nights in the Laphroig room. It was nice and spacious and looked liked it had recently been redocorated and painted. Katie greeted us at MW Guesthouse and took us over to the townhouse. After we got situated and let Katie know that the airline would be dropping off my mom's luggage that didn't make it one the connection from Heathrow, she gave us an overview of Edinburgh and what buses to catch and where places were located that we might want to visit. The townhouse was located on one of the main bus lines so it was convienent to head into the city center. The next day my mom's luggage arrived while we were out so the staff placed the luggage in our room. The breakfast every morning was very good. It came hot and fresh from the kitchen. You had the choice of having toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, porridge, and/or a full Scottish breakfast. For drinks you had the choice of coffee, tea, or juice. Katie or May were there during breakfast every morning to see what our plans for the day were and if we needed anything. If we needed to use the internet during our stay there was one to use in the foyer which was very convenient when keeping in touch with relatives in the states. Everyone on staff that we met and interacted with during our stay was very nice and helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I ever visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank denni005
Reviewed 31 August 2007

Our stay at the MW Townhouse got off to a bad start, sadly. I had booked from the 1st to the 6th August 2007 to celebrate both my husband's birthday and the start of the Edinburgh Festival. Although booked into the Townhouse, we were told to check-in at the MW Guesthouse around the corner. Abrupt receptionist's first language obviously wasn't English! She told us that we should have gone straight to the Townhouse, although when she walked us there, the place was locked and deserted! We had to ask when breakfast would be served the following morning, and were told "8.30" When I asked when it finished, I was told "9.30" We found our own room (nice; only crititism would be that the shutters were only half-painted!), put the kettle on (first cuppa after our 8-hour journey!) There was no milk! Went back downstairs, couldn't find anybody, eventually found my own way to the kitchen and the milk. Felt a bit guilty sneaking around, but the place was like the Marie Celeste! Conditions in the kitchen were less than hygenic (towels on floor mopping up leaks, frying pans still on stove, with solid fat in, uncovered)
Next morning (Hubby's birthday!), turned up for breakfast at 9.20. We were served by a different Slovakian(?) lady, more language problems; told us in no uncertain terms "breakfast finish" After a protracted discussion, the Chef was persuaded back into the kitchen to "cook" us a cold fry-up! Not a great start. Asked for milk for the room; but still wasn't there by the evening- another kitchen foray when we returned that night. Next morning however, May the owner came to our breakfast table for a chat. Super lady, very helpful and friendly. She made up for all the other staff, with lots of useful local info etc. Sadly though we didn't see May on checking-out: Our card payment was carried out in total silence on their part. Regrettably I probably wouldn't book here again, just because of the staff.

Stayed: August 2007