“Didn't get past first base - Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Lioness of Leith

Lioness of Leith
Ranked #932 of 2,448 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Didn't get past first base - Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

As a recent contributor to this site, I hate to leave anywhere poor feedback. However, this place gave me no choice, last night.
Similarly to the previous reviewer, my girl and I were left sat at a table (which we had to choose ourselves, having had nobody engage us for the minute or so after we walked in) with nary a glance from the staff there. I counted 4 people working there, on a Wednesday night when the place was perhaps half-full. So there was no excuse for that that level of of oversight.
One doesn't mind waiting to have their order taken, but not when you don't even have a menu to peruse. So alas we voted with our feet, reckoning that this didn't augur well for the service and food to come.Especially as - just before we left - a waitress succeeded in walking right past our table, holding an elusive menu!
I hope the Lioness serves great food, and that our visit was just bad timing. However, the sullen look on the staff's face makes me fear otherwise. That's very poor for a bar/diner, and not how we do things in Leith.
Thanks instead to nearby Diner 7. Saved the day, in terms of both prompt and friendly service, as well as the usual great meal. It shouldn't be that hard.

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank Mark P
Benny A, Owner at Lioness of Leith, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
I'm sorry you took such offence to the staff's accidental oversight.
We do strive to greet people on arrival to the Lioness, but we also have a very relaxed clientele, at least half of whome prefer to saunter up to the bar, peruse our drink options, ask for a menu and then grab a seat at their leisure. Another common route to order is to grab a table, then saunter to the bar and peruse the drinks before a staff member engaging and taking care of your every need.
We are after all a bar in equal measures to being an eatery and find on quiet evenings walk in visitors often want to be given their own space to relax and approach the bar..
It's unfortunate you didn't adopt this approach, at the point of mentioning a menu or food, service should certainly have switched 'dining' mode and you would hopefully have gone on to enjoy your evening with us..
Anyway, I hope you have a chance to try us again sometime.

“Cheesecake <3<3”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Third visit to the lioness, finally having the evening menu, previous visits had been for a drink and brunch which had been good.
Service was quick lots if staff on place was busy, I ordered the plaice and my partner ordered the special of squid with pasta. The plaice was OK the seasonal vegetables were very tasty and the parsley sauce was good! The squid was rubbery and not enough sauce, what sauce there was again very tasty. We had desserts the cheesecake was brilliant and the accompanying sorbet was good, chocolate mousse also was good. All food was served in good time staff were friendly.
Only one grumble sort the toilets it does let the place down!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good place, good beer, meagre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

It's a nice place, and it had a selection of real ales on tap, but don't order food if you're hungry! My £12 main course was delicious but it was the size I'd expect of a starter.

• Visited May 2014
“Birthday treat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Once again we chose to go to Lioness for a little birthday supper. Luckily we had our favourite waiter, Nackynumnums, who as usual gave us friendly, efficient service with just a touch of humour thrown in. A nice touch was a free cocktail for my friend whose birthday we were celebrating. [We didn't get a free one ;-( ] We shared the bread/olives/hummous to nibble whilst waiting for our mains. We all agree that the food this time was much better than previous visits. better flavours, and nicely presented. Friends laughed when I said my marinaded tofu with spiced peppers was delicious, but it was!
We love the buzz of this place, and will be back.............. BUT.............. there's always a BUT huh...
guys............. do something about the gents! It's vile!

• Visited April 2014
“Lovely Lioness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I'm a big fan of The Lioness, and I take issue with claims that staff were drinking at work. I know for a fact that's not true. The beer is always good, with a good selection. The prices are today's prices for pubs that are good. People have said it is too expensive but these people are not used to good pubs and don't recognise one when they see one.
I've eaten here at lunch and dinner and never been disappointed. The staff here are a great laugh too, always leave this place with a smile!

• Visited April 2014