“Home from Home”

and 1 more site!
Ard-na-said
Ranked #13 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We have stayed at Ard-na-said guest house for a number of years and always look forward to our visit so thank you again Olive and Jim for looking after us. The wonderfully spacious rooms are immaculate and tastefully decorated with everything you need. The hearty breakfast another good treat with a great selection to choose from. We always feel looked after during our stay and our next trip has already been booked to avoid any dissapointment as we wouldnt consider staying anwhere else.

1  Thank dugetta

Reviewed 1 May 2011

After a long day of travel, it was disconcerting to find a note on the door that said the owners were away. As luck would have it, our taxi driver had a cell phone and was able to call them. They were just pulling out. This put them in a bit of rush as they must have been late for something. There was little in the way of welcome or explanation about where things were or how they worked. In fact, when asked for a restaurant recommendation, we were told to consult the map left in our room. The map points out restaurant locations but says nothing about them. I asked about what to see and do while in Edinburgh and the response was to look at the tourist guide left in the room. Jim and Olive are a lovely couple and obviously work hard at maintaining this beautiful Victoria house. It has to be a lot of work for the two of them. However, I think a little personalized attention is in order. I found the experience a bit too impersonal.

Breakfast was always good and the food hot. It was great to not only have Internet access but a laptop available as well. The location is very quiet. No street noise at all. The room was bright and sunny and had a great shower with plenty of hot water. There is a TV with a great selection of DVD's. Didn't watch any movies, but they are available.

The next time I visit Edinburgh I will stay somewhere closer to the center of town. The bus system works great (as long as you remember what the bus numbers are) but all restaurants are a bit of a walk. There is nothing in the immediate area and after a long day of walking the old town and seeing the sights, trudging to a restaurant about did me in.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank SanLuisLover
Reviewed 8 April 2011

This was my third visit to Edinburgh. On this trip I was in Edinburgh two different times, separated by about a week. The B&B where I usually stay (Dunedin House, right across the street from Ard-na-said) was unable to accommodate me the first two days and recommended Ard-na-said, knowing that I like that section of Edinburgh. I stayed at Dunedin upon my return. It really is remarkable to find not one but two fantastic B&B's on the same street. I recommend both.
I can't add much to all the other very positive reviews from other travelers, other than to say that they are all on target. My room was spotless, nicely furnished, and very comfortable. The hosts were wonderful, the breakfast was perfectly prepared and served in a lovely dining room. I met some very nice guests during my two-night stay and it was most enjoyable chatting with them over breakfast.
I realize that there are probably some very nice B&B's in Edinburgh closer to the city centre, but I find it no inconvenience to hop on a bus or even walk from Priestfield Road. Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities, and it's wonderful to have such great options for lodging in guest houses that leave a traveler feeling they've been so well looked after.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ArtloverAK
Reviewed 29 March 2011

this b n b was the best ever,my partner and i travelled to Edinburgh with our family for a wedding, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay so much, jim and olive could'nt help us enough ,they were so friendly and made a great breakfast !,there was such a great choice ,you could'nt ask for more,we're already making plans for us all to go back again !

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2011

this b and b was fantastic,we came for a wedding and wished we could have stayed longer !the room was amazing and jim and olive were such lovely people we will definetly be going back to edinburgh for a holiday now

Reviewed 27 March 2011

We have stayed here as a family and as a couple frequently for the past fifteen years. We have always found the owners, Jim and Olive, very friendly and helpful and have met our requests for different arrival times and requests for taxis to be booked when we have spoken to them in advance. Speaking on the telephone when booking is always a good idea and avoids misunderstandings! We have stayed in most of the rooms at one time or another; they are always very clean, the beds are comfortable and the facilities are good. The arrangements for breakfast work well and the food is freshly cooked. In addition to the excellent accommodation the location is a key feature. The City centre is walkable but the buses which go from round the corner allow easy and speedy access to all the places that a visitor might want to visit. If you arrive by car leave it in the car park. We find that B and B's provide excellent value for money and often use them; however remember that it is someone else's home that you are staying in.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PapaG61
Reviewed 20 March 2011

A beautiful building, lovely period home, Very clean catering for every need, very polite friendly & helpful service, perfectly situated for main City and other tourist attractions, would highly recommend.