“Delightful stay in Edinburgh”
Review of Ard-na-said

and 1 more site!
Ard-na-said
Ranked #13 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Jim and Olive Lyons treated us like royalty. We had a beautiful bedroom on the bottom floor with a window out on the garden. The bedroom was bright and lovely with two chairs by the window to sit in. The bathroom was luxurious with a great shower and more room than I've ever seen in a B&B bathroom. We enjoyed Jim's sense of humor as he served us a traditional breakfast. They were both very personable and took an interest in all we did. We loved staying there and hope to go back again in the future- worth staying more than 2 nights!

Room Tip: We recommend a ground floor room so that you can see the yard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is a really lovely B&B in a quiet and convenient area of Edinburgh. The breakfasts were delicious and our hosts were very welcoming and helpful. We had to be at the Waverley station before 7.00am for a steam special to Inverness on the Saturday morning of our 3 day stay. We were able to catch a bus from just around the corner, leaving our car safe in the hotel car park. We were provided with a "take away" breakfast, which was well put together.
Our room was spacious and comfortable with all the luxuries of an expensive hotel; big, soft, fluffy white towels, bath robes and slippers.
I would definately recommend this B&B to anyone and we will stay here again if we return to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Scott room and it was lovely with a great view of Arthur's Seat
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJJPFJ
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I can't recommend this place highly enough. It's located in a neighborhood outside of the downtown area, which is actually nice to be in a more quiet, quaint neighborhood. It is less than a minute walk from the bus station to get to/from downtown, which is very convenient.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. I had my own spacious bathroom and a little patio to look out on. I felt like I was in a close friend's house. You can choose which breakfast you want each morning, and the food was DELICIOUS! I only paid 45 pounds/night for my single room, which is really affordable.

Jim and Olive knew I was traveling alone, so they were extra sweet and helpful. They packed me a sack lunch the morning I left since my flight was at 6am.

I would highly recommend staying here, especially if you are looking for a warm, comforting, nice place that feels like a friend's home.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This B&B was so lovely! The room was clean and modern! The food was great! The owners were very hospitable and even had a list of restaurants that were near by, that they tried and enjoyed. It was very helpful when looking for a good restaurant is an unfamiliar city. I would recommend this B&B to any of my friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AbbyB397
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This is a lovely B&B located off Dalkeith Rd. in a wonderful older home with high ceilings and period artwork on the walls. Hosts Jim and Olive are very helpful in providing information about Edinburgh. Our room was a large one with a comfortable bed and a large bath (shower) . The breakfast was delicious and even conducive to vegetarians. One needs to take a bus to town but that was easy to get the hang of after one trip ; we did take a taxi to the airport. There are a number of very good restaurants in the area which we frequented for dinner. I highly recommend this B&B .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We spent three days at Ard-Na-Said. This was our first Bed & Breakfast experience and it was an exceptionally good one. The hosts, Jim and Olive, were very accomodating and excellent sources of information and assistance. We stayed in the Burns room while our traveling companions stayed in the Wallace room. These are large, well-furnished rooms with modern bathrooms. Excellent breakfasts are provided with considerable selection. The B&B is close to a bus stop with frequent service into downtown Edinborough (10 min away).

Room Tip: The other rooms may be a little smaller, but we did not see them. Rooms are very quiet; did not hea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We spent two nights in the Wallace room which is huge and beautiful. The in-room tea/hot chocolate service and cookies was a nice touch. The room was very quiet and dark. Our only complaint was that the bed wasn't very comfortable. The four-poster was so grand and beautiful I was very surprised that the mattress wasn't comfortable to match. I realize that everyone's tastes in mattresses are different and it's hard to please everyone- but I'm the type of person that can sleep on just about anything, so if I notice it, it's a big deal. The Wi-Fi was fast and reliable. The location isn't super close to the main part of town, but it's only a short walk to the bus and we had no issues navigating the bus system - it gets you to attractions very quickly. Breakfast was wonderful - Smoked salmon and eggs was so yummy! And having a private car park was a bonus. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple