“Very sweet home-away-from-home style hotel in a stunning city”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #17 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sao Paulo, SP
“Very sweet home-away-from-home style hotel in a stunning city”
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

I visited Edinburgh for the first time and therefore wanted to be in a great location. I prefer small hotels with a more personal service and attention to details. Nira Caledonia was the perfect find. David prepared delicious dishes at dinner time while the rest of the team was always very alert and ready to help. My suite had a lovely private garden ideal for the sunny long days in the summer. I will return and highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Doncaster
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My husband and I travelled to Edinburgh with a friend on Thursday July 28th. We had booked two petite doubles for a one night stay as we were going to see a show. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we knew we had made the right decision. A beautiful Georgian building set the scene for the character we were to experience inside. Our rooms were right at the top of the building and the views made the climb up the stairs worthwhile! Classical music was playing in the room as we entered and the nespresso machine was soon in use. Although it was petite everything had its place and was perfectly formed. The ensuite was lovely with a bath and an excellent shower over. The towels were huge and the toiletries just lovely. The staff couldn't have been more obliging and genuinely friendly. That was so true of the bar man who served us on our return from the theatre. It was at that point we discovered there were no trains in or out of Scotland. We went to bed relatively unphased and watched the news the following morning. We made the decision to stay an extra night if at all possible. We knew they were probably full.The staff couldn't have done more for us and were given the same rooms for a second night. As a result we had a very enjoyable second day in Edinburgh. Breakfast was special, from the food to the service. The bed, bedlinen and pillows were exceptional.This hotel provides a very special experience for guests and I cannot rate it highly enough. The distance from the station to the hotel and then into the Playhouse, the Castle was perfect and we enjoyed the walk. We are already planning a return visit in the not too distant future. Next time we might eat in the restaurant in the evening as well. Thank you to all the staff at the Nira Caledonia, keep doing what you do so well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel was absolutely amazing. Though it has no lifts, as it is a Grade-A listed building, it has immense character. The rooms are stunning with wonderful amenities. The rooms do vary in size, however, and unfortunately we were given one on the smaller sized, which seemed a bit cramped for a couple. Despite a request for a transfer, and rooms being available on the night, we were not given another one - which is the reason for the demoted rating. However, the hotel is 5-star in every other way. The hotel is situated near the Botanical Gardens, and an easy 15-20 minute walk to the Royal Mile. The hotel does strive to make a wonderful experience for the guests - when you enter your room, you are greeted with classical music. The rooms have high Georgian walls, so you do not feel too claustrophobic, even though we were in a petite room. The bed is very comfortable, and the en-suite bath, though again on the small size, was very modern. I would stay here again in a future trip to Edinburgh, though I was a bit put off about not being re-assigned another room as mentioned above.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh, Nira Caledonia.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyable stay with us and I'm sorry that we were unable to allocate you a different room when you request one. I can assure you that it is our practice to change guest rooms, if for any reason the room assigned is not suitable and we have rooms available.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with your next stay, please do let me know.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Only stayed here for one night but I was so well looked after by the staff I wished I was staying for longer! From the moment my taxi pulled up outside, I couldn't have wished for better service. The property itself is an absolute delight - very charming, loads of character, beautifully decorated. I didn't have a suite, just a standard double on the 2nd floor, which wasn't huge to be fair but seriously well kitted out with creature comforts you wouldn't even see in a suite at a Hilton! I had dinner in the restuarant which was not what I would describe hotel food - it was superb; a well thought out menu, beautifully cooked to perfection, with a fabulous wine list to accompany it and staff knowledgeable about what wine suited which meal (tell me a hotel under £100 per night that does that?!). Dinner service was at a relaxed pace, you weren't rushed but equally you weren't neglected. If you are looking for a sterotypical bland hotel chain affair, stay here to redicover what customer service is really all about. Equally, if you want to be well looked after, well fed, get a great night's sleep, feel spoiled by waking up to your own nespresso machine with classic fm on in the background, book the Nira Caledonia, you won't be disappointed...by the way you'll see my reviews that I rarely offer an 'Excellent' score, but this hotel truely deserves it.

Room Tip: I don't think you'll get a bad room here!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for you taking the time to post your review of our boutique hotel, Nira Caledonia Edinburgh.

I have passed your comments on to our team and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our Chef was particularly grateful and says "THANK YOU"!!!

I look forward to welcoming in the near future and in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.

Scotland
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and myself stayed for two nights in the Wilson Suite last week. The suite comprised a very large bedroom and a sitting area with a leather sofa and coffee table at one end. The bathroom was rather small but absolutely fabulous. We had dinner with wine on one night and the chef was also the waiter so the food was piping hot when it came to the table and was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Breakfast was rather special too. All the staff we met were friendly but professional. Other reviewers have mentioned that it was quite a walk into town from the hotel but we didn't think so. Perhaps the other people are used to driving everywhere, whereas we walk a lot anyway.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaSi
Thank you for your very kind and positive review of Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you like the large Suite and sitting area in the room allocated. I was sorry that you felt that the bathroom was small. I assure you that as with most Edinburgh Boutique Hotels, and as one of the many listed buildings, each room is unique in configuration and shape thus giving our customers a real boutique feeling.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, but in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We were let down by the suite we booked with the large jacuzzi not being available due to maintenance but were given 25% off the suite we took instead and free breakfast. Modest and unassuming, it is situated in the smart end of town within walking distance of the centre. Great sized room with a huge bed. Not a lot of staff but the few there were attentive.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time for posting your review of Nira Caledonia on tripadvisor.

I am sorry the Suite requested was not available due to unforeseen maintenance. I was pleased that my team acknowledge your disappointment by offering you a discount on your room rate.

I was delighted to read that you liked our bed and attentive staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know.

Kindest regards,

Solihull
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I've stayed in a few hotels in Edinburgh but this was probably my favourite, a little bit further out (still only a 5 minute walk from George Street so don't let that put you off) but the street and hotel has so much character. I really couldn't fault the place, we stayed in the Wilson suite and was made to feel very welcome by the staff. I would also say that the breakfast we had was near perfection and I'm quite fussy. Overall would I go back....a big YES!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know.