“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I recently enjoyed a wonderful Friday night stay at this hotel with my wife on a first time trip to Edinburgh. This stylish boutique hotel is within walking distance of the centre of Edinburgh and is perfect for a romantic getaway.
This hotel had all the ingredients for a great weekend. Room was immaculate and service excellent.

2 Thank RJC1
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

Your comments have been passed onto all the team and we are all delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia in the near future.

James Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were upgraded from executive to jacuzzi suite which was fantastic. The staff were faultless - Roman was very warm and attentive along with all of the other reception staff and restaurant staff, David the chef was also very friendly. The rooms were spotless the cleaning staff do a perfect job. Jacuzzi suite was lovely, nespresso coffee machine, nice towels, great bed and pillows. I had the window open all night and it was very quiet. The dining experience was very good the waiting staff talked about the food and the chef David also cam and spoke with us. It was a real pleasure to stay here.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the special rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JetFox
Thank you for taking the time to post you very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

I have passed your comments on to all the team. David and Roman where particularly pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much.

In the meantime, please do let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

Fantiastic !!! What a gorgeous hotel! Awesome jacuzzi bath aswell!! This stay was a surprise by my boyfriend for my birthday and to be taken into a suite with roses on the bed and a bottle of campayne on ice was just amazing!! Staff very helpful and nice,lovely decor,complementy use of umbrellas was handy as it rained heavy one day so we borrowed it! :) overall would defo stay again!!!! Without a doubt! :)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Jade0000
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

It was a please to read such a positive review and on by half of the Nira Caledonia team, THANK YOU!!!

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh in the near future. In the meantime, please do let us know if we can be of any assistance.

New England
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was my first visit to the Nira Caledonia. It won't be my last, but I will be much more choosy about my chosen room next time.

The hotel is in leafy Stockbridge, a very nice predominantly residential section of the city. It would be fine for first time visitors who wished to avoid tourist immersion, yet be within a five-ten minute walk of necessities. Quickly down a flight of stairs and you're on a stretch with all the coffee, pastry, wine, restaurant, clothing and other shops you might wish.

This is a fine boutique converted Georgian town-house. That said, there are definitely structural limitations as to what the property can offer. As others have noted, there is no lift, so expect a natural stair-master exercise (in fact, relish that everywhere in this city). And you'll note the consistent feel of narrowness in the public passageways, of which there are few.

Service is tip top from all you will encounter. Check-in and out is effortless, the breakfast is delicious and efficient, room cleanliness and comfort is great. All in all, well done.

The only drawback on this visit resulted from my lack of inquiry. I needed a room with two beds, and was booked into a twin bed executive. This turned out to be a room in the basement of the building. I was in the room facing the street (with the sole window opening to the ground floor one level below the passers-by on the street). That also is the level where all room maintenance staff and delivery persons enter the hotel. So it gets very busy during high service hours, and notwithstanding best efforts, can be a very noisy din of activity. The twin beds are tiny, but plush. I slept well, but worried that I might impale myself on the adjacent side dresser corners were I to turn over quickly in the night. Then the worst problem: the room would not take a wireless internet signal, which unfortunately was a necessity for my visit. Despite asking multiple times, the best explanation was that the router and booster placement made service to that room inadequate. So I had Chaplinesque periods of walking the bottom and first floors to try to find an adequate signal, then having to sit in the eating/bar area to work (see above, however, as the service staff was all about trying to find an appropriate drink for me in my travails). I put all this down to the funkiness of the adapted building structure, but it was an irritation that I would avoid in the future. [And the building was good enough to discount my stay for the problem].

Final verdict - try the Nira Caledonia if you want a nice, relaxed experience in a wonderful quiet, convenient part of the city, but avoid the basement....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ValuingTraveler
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Nira Caledonia on tripadvisor.

We were delighted to read that you intend to stay with us again and we have noted your comments regarding your room choice.

We were also pleased that you enjoyed the location of Nira Caledonia which boarders New Town and the village of Stockbridge.

Yes, as mention in your review we do not have a lift in the hotel, this is due to the Grade A listing of our two building.

Thank you for you very kind and positive comments about the service you received while in the hotel. I have passed them on to the team.

I was sorry you felt the twin bed where to small and suggest that on your next visit we allocate a Suite room which has larger beds in a more spacious room. I was also sorry to read that you had problems accessing the internet while in the hotel. In fact we recently carried out a review of signal strength in the hotel and did not find an issue in your room at that time, however as a result of your feedback I have ordered an upgrade of the system to ensure we do not have a repeat of this issue.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. At such a time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally make your arrangements.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We recently spent three nights at this beautiful hotel and would certainly return - we did not eat dinner in the hotel but breakfast was tasty and a good selection of food available. Most of the staff were very friendly. We were disappointed when despite having reported the fact that our light bulb in the bedroom needed changing it was not changed during our stay. Our room was not ready at the time we checked in and because of this we received a complimentary glass of wine. It is a short walk from the town centre. People should be aware the hotel has no lift so we would certainly not recommend it to anyone who has difficulty climbing stairs.

2 Thank Deborah S
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh.

We were delight to read your very kind and positive comments about Nira Caledonia and we really appreciate the time and effort our valued guests take to provide feedback in our endless endeavour to improve both the quality and service we provide our guests.

I would like to take this opportunity to profusely apologise for the lack of attention to detail with regards to changing the light bulb in your room. I have personally addressed this issue with both our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure we do not have a repeat.

Once again, thank you for this review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

It's a very elegant hotel, a bit tucked away in a pretty neighbourhood and we felt as if we were the only guests in it - it was fantastic. Excellent service and staff, very friendly and helpful. Decent size room with a huge window, big tall bed and great decoration. Very clean, excellent bathroom with mirrors everywhere,jacuzzi bath and shower. We loved the classic fm that greeted us from the radio/idock station and the complimentary bits we found (bottle of water, newspaper, coffe and biscuits). The location can be a bit of a problem if you can't or don't want to walk, even though it's only about 15 minutes away from the main street (a bit longer if coming from the station - only a few minutes if you were to take a taxi) and the neighbourhood is truly great: beautiful Georgian buildings, peaceful parks, plenty of cafes and independent bakeries around. The cheesemongers by Gloucester Street was amazing! I will definitely stay here again in my next visit to Edinburgh and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet and luxurious spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post you very positive and kind review of our Edinburgh boutique hotel.

I have passed your comments on to our team and I can tell you everyone was delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. At such a time, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance.

Kindest regards,

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Perfect hotel for honeymooners and for luxury week-end and of course for wealthy businessmen; best location in Edinburgh (though parking fines at £60 are tough: better leave your car, pay the fine by Internet at a discount of 50%, still cheaper than the parking meters); luxurious rooms, very stylish, cozy atmosphere, personnel very helpful but discreet, excellent food at surprisingly decent prices.
Nice bathrooms with jacuzzi, radio with iPod connection, TV with DVD player (collection of DVDs available at the reception) and many more nice amenities.

1 Thank Labienus