Stayed here for 2 nights over a wknd to celebrate my husbands 30th birthday. Got a very good advance rate purchase on a petite room. Expected the room to be tiny from reading reviews but was sure the hotel would make up for the smallness of the room. Also it states clearly the size of the rooms on the website so I knew what to expect.
Before arriving the hotel helped me to organise a birthday cake in the room and offered us a free bottle of wine as it was a special occasion, this was an excellent touch. The cake was there on arrival and was gorgeous, the wine was on ice and tasted delicious. We were upgraded to an executive room which we really didn't expect but really appreciated. All in all a great first impression!
The room was fab, with lots of luxurious touches eg a nespresso machine and iPod dock. There was a nice couch to relax on and the mini bar was well stocked and reasonably priced. The tv was huge with lots of channels. The bed was so comfy and I never wanted to leave it! The furnishings in the room were beautiful and a million miles away from typical, generic hotel room furniture. The bathroom, although a bit on the small side, was very well kitted out and high tech. The room overlooked the cobblestone street to the front so was a little noisy at times but in general it was a quiet street and didn't disturb us. The windows were hard to open and close but this is a historical building so its to be expected. It was lovely to come back in the evening to Classic FM playing and the lamps on. We stayed 2 nights but I wish it had been longer.
We loved the location, it was in a gorgeous, leafy residential area away from the tourist trap of the Royal Mile but only a 5/10 minute walk to the main shopping streets. The best thing was how friendly and helpful the staff were especially Erwin on reception. We arrived on a very early flight and left on a late one and both days they kept our bags for us. We had continental breakfast both mornings and this was excellent. The small bar/restaurant area is so beautiful and relaxing. We didn't dine here but I imagine it would be lovely. We dined in the nearby Stockbridge restaurant and would highly recommend it. We also dined at the nearby Honours based on a recommendation but we were not overly impressed with it.
Overall I would highly recommend Nira Caledonia particularly if you are a fan of small boutique hotels. I asked my husband what he thought SLH stood for as we were leaving and he said sexy, little hotel. I had to laugh, not quite, but I liked his interpretation! Thank you to all at Nira Caledonia for making our special occasion extra special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland