“Excellent WOWcher deal”

GreenLeadersBronze level
United Kingdom
“Excellent WOWcher deal”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We booked this through WOWcher - 2 nights incl. breakfast, 1 evening meal and champagne.
Parking could be a little tricky but it's free at the weekend (£2 per hour up to 4 hours in the week) and we managed to park ok. Quiet location, 10 minute walk from town.
Receptionist, in fact all staff, we're very friendly and helpful.
Our room (number 8) was on the top floor (up 60+ steps) at the back. It was quite small and didn't have the high ceilings that all the other floors had, but the view was excellent and the decor was very nice.
The room had a minibar, bottled water, large tv, ipod docking station, hair dryer, krupps coffee maker, tea making facilities, fabric brush, proper coat hangers, shoe horn, ample biscuits, excellent shower, jacuzzi bath, nice toiletries and so on. It was a little cold at first but we turned the radiator up and it soon heated up. The thick curtains allowed a good nights sleep however the bed was a little short for us at 5'10" and 6'4" tall.
Breakfast was excellent although we had to prompt the waitress for many things - milk for our tea, butter for our toast, mustard for our breakfast etc.
We ate the sea bass in the evening. This too was excellent and the waiter was very friendly and helpful.
For what we paid, this was an excellent hotel - a beautiful Georgian building with very helpful staff

Room Tip: Best views at the back, upper floors (there's no lift though)
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Janette N, Director of Sales at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review following your recent visit to Nira Caledonia. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and had time to make full use of our facilities, from our delicious Scottish breakfast to the peace and tranquillity of our location. Your comments regarding the attention to detail at breakfast have been noted and discussed with the manager for action and it will be a pleasure to share you feedback with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia in the near future.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Greek first
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife and I were treated to a Wowcher stay at the Nira Caledonia and whilst everything was fine we were both disapointed. The Petite Double, was extremely Petite, the on-suite wet room looked stunning until you needed the toilet and found you had to squeeze yourself in between the sink and the toilet, and neither of us are large.
We expected a bottle of Chapagne on arrival, we did get Champagne in a bottle but it was a half-bottle. The coffee, tea and biscuits were lovely, but not replenished and we needed to send down for milk. There was only one pair of slippers, the toilet roll was used up and because there was no spare we had to ring down for one.
At the evening meal we were surprised to find that we were restricted to a Wowcher menue of two choices only, Salmon or Chicken, however, we did enjoy it.
Breakfast was like a Curates egg (good in parts), the layout of the dining room made getting to the buffet difficult if more than three people were there at the same time. The service, was chaotic and unless you grabbed a passing membr staff you could wait for an age to order. On one day the breakfast items were luke warm to cold on the other some were hot and others cold, On the pluss side the selection on offer was good and all the staff were friendly.
Being a listed building, means that scope for change is restricted, it also means no swimmiming pool etc. and a small and cramped reception area.
All in all, it was a nice gift but not the luxurious break intended. We have stayed in several hotels in Edinburgh previously and this one, even at a discounted price would not be our choice again.

Room Tip: Do not accept a Petite Double
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Janette N, Director of Sales at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and as a valued guest, I was disappointed to read your comments that you may not return. I have noted your comments regarding the quality of the food at breakfast and this has now been addressed. Our petite double rooms offer some fantastic facilities with flat screen tv, dvd players, i-pod docking stations, Nespresso coffee machines to name just a few to create a luxury home from home experience. We are disappointed your expectations were not met and we have discussed your feedback with the relevant departmental managers.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Booked a jacuzzi suite , on arrival was given a dingy room with a tiny water jet bath ! Complained and received another room , ~ no remote for tv , no guest directory , no robes , no slippers , and room furniture was dusty !!!! At 200 pounds + per night , absolute rip off , no one knew how to work the jacuzzi , we were getting ready to leave !!

Disgusting. Would not even dream of coming any where near this place again. ,!!

Be warned

Room Tip: Here's a tip ~ don't stay here !!!!!
4 Thank Alan N
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and as a valued guest, I was disappointed to read your comments that you may not return. I was very surprised to read your comments regarding the quality of the amenities in your suite. We do have bathrobes in our rooms with slippers that can be found in the wardrobe. We offer a turndown service when the slippers are placed neatly at the side of your bed for your convenience. Your disappointment is our regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am unsure if you spoke with the duty manager during your stay to voice your opinion of the hotel as we appreciate all guest feedback. We apologise your room and service was not to standard and this has been addressed.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We went there end of april. When we reached there we were welcomed properly right from the reception. The hotel was fine and the room was fine but I think they're suffering a lack of staff because the person who welcomed us at the reception is the same guy who took the bags to the room and when we had a problem with the heater he was the one to answer to it and who brought us an alternative one.

First day when we went to breakfast the service was not up to the standards as I was asked what I would like to drink and I said orange and I was told by the lady to (go help your self!!). But second and third day the service was amazing as it was handled by a professional person with a suit. I'm saying that because I think there is a problem with the dress code as there was a person wearing a casual dull t-shirt acting as supervisors and I really didn't know what his designation was. This somehow affected the credibility of the hotel for me, especially knowing that the reference for it was from SLH.com which should be a bible for all luxurious hotels in the world.

Food was good. I guess with more variety on the menu it could've been better.

Room Tip: I haven't seen other rooms. But try not to check in rooms in the higher floors, the stairs are n...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shadi A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and as a valued guest, I was disappointed to read your comments. We are a small boutique hotel with 28 rooms and we create a luxury home from home ambiance. Our front office team do check you into the hotel and also offer to assist with baggage to create a seamless flow on your guest journey during your stay. I was delighted to read that the service you received during did improve. We have recently recruited new staff in each department and are now fully staffed. I have noted your comments regarding the uniforms and this is something that we are currently looking into. We do hope that you return to Nira Caledonia on a future visit to our wonderful city.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Bought this hotel through wowcher deal. Hotel is pleasant 15 mins stroll from centre with plenty bars and restaurants to choose from including hard rock cafe. Breakfast is brought to your table choice full breakfast aswell as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and cereals, fruit, yogurt and selection of preserves with croissants breads meats and cheese. The petite double we stayed in is petite but just big enough with wardrobe, big mirror, and good sized tv and dvd player with dvds to lend from reception. we had a nice big window with garden view. Staff are pleasant and Room service was good and they replenish fizzy water biscuits etc. You get a lovley coffee pod machine in the room - a great perk and good sound system for listening to radio or plugging iPhone in. Rooms are quiet, although the bed was only a double and personally I always except king size. The bathroom has bath with great powerful shower over and magnifying mirror and complimentary toiletries The restaurant and food is lovley I recommend the salmon cooked on the jasper grill - beautiful. We had a great waiter who couldn't do enough for s and gave us complimentary pâté on arrival. We would definatly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Lucy P
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Nira Caledonia on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking time to give us your feedback on your visit and for your lovely comments about the hotel, food, room amentities and location. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and please be assured all your great feedback has been relayed to all our team members. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

After reading the reviews I felt a little nervous about staying here but I can honestly say it was an amazing hotel. The majority of staff are quite new apparently but where extremely friendly and helpful. The restraint was brilliant for dinner and breakfast. All mod-cons in the room. A fab hotel, we enjoyed it so much we are looking at the sister hotel in Mauritius.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Janette N, Director of Sales at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review following your recent visit to Nira Caledonia. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and had time to make full use of our facilities, from the little personal touches in your room to the delicious food in Blackwood's Restaurant. Your comments regarding the friendlieness and warmth of service from my colleagues are especially appreciated and it will be a pleasure to share you feedback with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in 2013 sometime soon and do hope you visit Shanti Maurice for a truly relacing holiday.

Morpeth
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Whilst we enjoyed our weekend at the Nira Caledonia hotel we were a bit disappointed by the reception staff. We booked an Executive double room via a Wowcher deal for our Silver Wedding Anniversary, secretly hoping we might get upgraded (the hotel were aware it was our Anniversary). However, when we were shown our room it was quite small. I rang Mat in reception and he advised it was a Petite Double and there were no other rooms available although after checking he did confirm we had booked an Executive.

He did not offer me anything in "compensation". I asked if there was a better room available for the following evening and if we could be upgraded. He did agree to upgrade us to a suite for the second night and said we could have a bottle of wine with our evening meal (but only after I asked). I have just seen from the previous review that another couple were upgraded from an Executive room to a Suite automatically. I wonder what happened to their room??? A birthday is obviously more important than a Silver Wedding Anniversary or am I just being a little bitter!

Also, although the food was lovely, when I bought the voucher there was mention of the fantastic local food in the restaurant. I was a tad disappointed that the menu consisted of soup, chicken and ice cream.

I do feel that the rooms are a little dark, although this could be to create the ambience. Also, although there were 2 large mirrors, there was no socket near enough to plug a hairdryer in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MorpethCodester
Janette N, Director of Sales at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and as a valued guest, I was disappointed to read your comments. As the hotel was fully booked at the weekend, we were unable to offer you an executive double room. Matt did however, managed to offer you a suite for your second night. We can only offer an upgrade subject to availability on the day of arrival and we do upgrade when we have the rooms available. As you booked on a special offer we had recently, the dinner element of the package is a set menu and the dishes are taken from our main menu. I have noted your comments about the sockets and mirror locations and I will certainly look into this. We are disappointed your expectations were not met and do hope you consider returning to the hotel in the near future.