Lets start from the beginning. The outside of the building is very grand - situated in a quieter part of Edinburgh and in what looks like a mix of residential / hotel accommodation. Just a short taxi ride from Waverley station. The entrance looks small and that it is. When checking in be prepared to move around the reception desk as other people try to get past you as you check in. There is room in the corridor for 1 person only. Check in guy had the personality of a wet fish.
After getting checked in, we were taken to our room. We booked this hotel based on the description of the character of the building and the style. It is also listed as 5 star so this was another factor in our choice. We climbed the stairs, climbed some more and then left the beautiful stairway for what looked like an entrance to staff quarters. This further staircase took us to our room. The door opened and before us was our very own little cell. We had booked a standard double room that was supposed to be upgraded thought the hotels partner which it clearly was not. In fact, it was downgraded. The room had enough space (just) for the furniture and a bathroom so small that you could touch the shower cubical with your feet as you sat on the square shaped toilet. There was absolutely no room to move in it. As other reviewers have commented on the rooms , I can only confer with their testimonies. This room had none of the features , charm, decadence or otherwise that we're used to describe the hotel. The bed was a dubious double bed with both my wife and I spending the night tossing and turning with the ever present though of falling out of the bed a very real possibility.
I would love to have put a review on here telling potential visitors that the hotel accommodation lived up to the 5 start rating and describing the room with all of the wonderful features described on the website but as I have yet to experience it , I cannot review it.
The only saving grace the hotel had was the restaurant. We had a very attentive waiter for our evening meal who , along with the food, was quite faultless. From the chefs taster to the final course , the food was excellent with the quality of the ingredients and the chefs ability shining through.
In summary, the Nira deserves the 1 start it got for the food , should have been 5 starts but the accommodation let it down so badly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland