“Fabulous”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Prestwick, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Taken there by my husband as part of my birthday treat. Fabulous! We were upgraded to a suite, whilst unpacking there was a knock on the door on opening it there was a member of staff with two glasses of champagne to celebrate "my 21st" very diplomatic! We have stayed in many hotels around the world but this was one of the best experiences we have had from start to finish, each member of staff we encountered was brilliant and made our stay extra special. Keep up the good work!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My boyfriend treated me to a night at the Nira Caledonia for my birthday to get me to relax, and it worked!

I knew we were going to Edinburgh for the night but didn't know where we were staying as he had planned it as a surprise. When we arrived at the hotel a porter took us to our room which was in the building two doors down from reception. Our room was on the top floor and when we walked in, the room had been set with a rose petal turndown and was lit by an array of candles. There were petals on the floor leading through to the dressing room with more candles surrounding the jacuzzi bath. A couple of minutes later there was a chap at the door with a bottle of champagne!

We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious, the best steak either of us have ever had. Our Scottish breakfast the next morning was freshly cooked to order and I would have loved to have had more space to eat more of the continental selection.

From what I understand the service prior to our arrival was excellent and the service when we were there was also excellent. Thank you to all for a very special and memorable birthday :)

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

After deciding I wanted to propose to my partner in a romantic hotel in Edinburgh in the run up to Christmas, I spent hours searching for the perfect venue - and I'm glad to say I found it. I could not have wished for a better experience at the gorgeous Nira Caledonia. I must say a massive thank you to all the staff for helping to create the perfect proposal setting. Everything from the welcome we received at reception, to the amazing food and wonderful service in the intimate restaurant, to the effort that was put into making the room so romantic, was above and beyond my expectations. The reaction of my girlfriend when we walked into our stunning candle-lit jacuzzi suite with the rose-petal turn-down is something that will live with me for a long time. A special thank you also to the hotel manager for helping settle my nerves - a wonderful personal touch - and to those who dealt with my email enquires in the run up to my arrival. We will definitely be returning in the future, and I would happily recommend the hotel's jacuzzi suite (room 1006) as the ideal place to pop the question. Oh, and in case you're wondering, she said yes!

Room Tip: If there is a more romantic hotel room in Edinburgh than the Nira Caledonia room 1006 then I'll...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Not one for writing reviews - so much time has usually lapsed by the time I get around to it but I feel that I need to (reluctantly!) share this wonderful place. My partner & I stayed at Nira Caledonia for his birthday. It was exceptional. We were upgraded free of charge to a room with a Jacuzzi & the manager Rory left a personalised card in the room wishing him a Happy Birthday. We especially loved the ‘Tunnocks’ goodies as a little treat - not a custard cream in sight! The hotel speaks for itself in terms of beauty & location - we loved the little suburb of Stockdale - just a short walk down the hill with amazing little coffee shops & great pubs (especially Tom Kitchin’s new gastro pub.) Walking into town took was an easy 10 mins so no need for cars/taxis or buses. Reading back through some other reviews people have commented about the lack of a lift & smallish rooms. This is absolutely absurd - what do you expect in a beautiful listed town house? If you want the ‘facilities’ of a large bland chain hotel then stay in one.

The staff could not have been more helpful. Katie? (very blonde receptionist) was lovely, showing us to our room & showing us how everything worked. The ladies at breakfast were pleasant & efficient & the bar staff were friendly & attentive. The hotel is split into 2 buildings spaced one apart. We stayed in the ‘other’ building (not where reception was) & it was great. It was like coming home to your own home of an evening as you had your own front door key!

This place is a real find, especially if you’re like us (a young-ish couple who travel a lot with a penchant for nice things!) & like small boutique places with character rather than the big bland chains As the hotel is so small all the staff make a real effort to talk to you - especially the manager Rory who was great & extremely passionate about Edinburgh & what it now offers. I would seriously recommend this place. Due to the storms we nearly got stranded for an extra day… both of us were secretly hoping that we would as neither of us wanted to go home!

Thank you to all the staff at Nira for making my partner’s birthday so special. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We were in the lower ground floor in the second building (room 1003) & had a little patio &...
1 Thank Millytravels395
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Me and my husband decided to visit edinburgh coz inwanted to see the castles and other historical places there. We wanted to stay in a victorian kind of a place on our holiday coz contemporary architecture is all so common.
Nira caledonia was just perfect. It has the feel of old world with the comfort of modern days. Our room was nice and big, but very cozy. We got a beautiful view from the window. we had got an upgrade to a room with jacuzzi fitted bathroom and it was awesome! The staff were very nice and friendly, and were ready to help wherever possible. The breakfast was very good as well with loads of variety and me and my husband would stuff ourselves every morning! Even the food from the bar/restaurant was quite good, but i would sure prefer if they increased the choices on their menu. Although its not a big deal coz theres too many restaurants around it at walking distance.
I would definitely recommend the hotel, especially to couples as it is very cozy and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at the Nira Calendonia for two nights for my birthday weekend, my welcome was curt and polite but not particularly friendly or unfriendly. My room was in the basement of the second building, the receptionist showed me to my room and carried my bag which was nice. My room was nicely decorated- wood floor, single bed, desk & chair, wardrobe and private bathroom- all of which were clean. After maybe two minutes in my room there was a knock on the door and a complimentary glass of champagne arrived (my birthday!) that scored them some extra points! I went out for dinner then returned to my room, showered and went to bed but I didn't sleep- from 11 pm- 4 am there was constant noise, if it wasn't a door being slammed it was people talking, people walking above my floor- it was a constant borage of noise, I think I finally slept around 5 am and got up at 9! Princes street is a stones throw away which in short means all the attractions are very close at hand. Edinburgh castle is wonderful, if you are a walker Arthur's seat is a must, the bus tours are excellent, because it is close to Christmas there is a wonderful market in Princes street gardens, there are kilted men playing bag pipes all over the place (which was so exciting to see!), there is an abundance of things to see and do.
My second night at Nira Caledonia was worse than the first, with some people coming in at around 5am and to make it worse a member of staff had to help someone get into their room- they spoke loudly in the hallway and then the member of staff sounded like he stamped across the upper hallway then, of course, slammed the door shut behind himself! Then that morning someone propped open the emergency exit and stomped in and out from 6am until about 8!
As far goes the location, room decor, cleanliness and general hotel, I would give the Nira Caledonia 10 out of 10 but the walls are paper thin and no one realises that people are trying to sleep, all this said I would stay again but in a different room

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor, the basement is dark and noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I don't often write about 5-star stays because I feel they speak for themselves - at least that is the experience I've had in the past. But I feel compelled to put a few flags out there for someone who thinks this hotel may offer exceptional treatment.

I forewarn that though this is a charming hotel to extend your stay, I would not pay what I had if I had known better. I stayed in the Scott's Suite and I would unfortunately advise against this room. It happens to be right underneath the kitchen, so not only did we hear the bass of music until 1am, we then heard footsteps above our room from around 3am onwards. I may be sketchy on the times, but it was early. Too early. I understand the kitchen needs to prepare, but for what you pay, you should be able to sleep in peace. My fiancé was not feeling well, this was supposed to be a peaceful stay and it was not because of this.

The suite at first appearance is lovely. The welcome reception we had, I believe her name was Katie, was warming and incredibly sweet. They left a hand-written note welcoming us, a very nice touch. Yes, in this suite you do get the gardens outside your door and it's charming. But do take note that another suite is next to you, so if you go outside and happen to turn around, you can well see into the suite next to you. May not bother some, but it alarmed me. I wouldn't exactly step out in my robe due to that lack of privacy. We also noticed rips in the wallpaper and the carpet needs replacing. On a good note the bed was lovely and comfortable and the bathroom is luxurious and clean. The touches for a turndown is peaceful to come back to after a long day of walking around the city.

Yes, there is the element of no elevator, which I knew and expected. But when we left, no one offered to help take up our luggage. Additionally the front desk staff was indifferent to us. My fiancé would ask a question or make a sweet comment and at no time did the gentleman smile at him or acknowledge him. The nicest of the staff was in the kitchen, and the wait staff. It was the wait staff who offered to help with our luggage, not the men at reception. I felt strange taking him up on his assistance, but he was more than willing. Such a nice man. We had also asked the evening staff the night before about a pub that is literally a five minute walk from the Nira Caledonia in Stockbridge. Neither of them knew how to get there and gave us a cold shoulder.

I will agree with others that the breakfast was good and fresh. And yes, this hotel is perfectly located to all attractions. A ten minute walk to the Old Town, and the New Town is at your doorstep.

This is my third time back to Edinburgh and unfortunately I did feel disappointed with our stay here. For the price I would stay at other 5-stars. So again, I don't advise against staying here, I just advise to be aware. They say this is a 5-star. I've stayed at 4-star boutique hotels in London which surpass what you get here.

Finally, and I have to say it - and I know that there may be a rebuttal on the hotel's response to this - I won't be surprised. But I had left, my fault entirely, a bag filled with toiletries and a pair of $400 reading glasses, amongst other things. The bag was designer. I went straight from the hotel to the airport and realized at the airport I did not have it in my purse. I left it in the suite. I called the hotel about 45 minutes after we left and explained that I left it, clearly offering to pay all expenses to get it back to me. The man who answered the phone went down to the suite and said he couldn't find it, but that the maid was cleaning the suite. I followed up with an email when I got back to the states, as I had heard nothing either way. I was told that it just wasn't found. They did offer apologies, but that's the end of it. How can something be missing within 45 minutes. And, I know it was there because it was one of the last things I wanted to put in my purse before heading to the airport. I knew where I had approximately left it. I understand that they can only do so much and if they don't' see it, fine. But - where did it go. I'm out over $500 on the loss. Again, my fault and lesson learned, but really - 45 minutes later… nowhere to be seen? Perhaps it was an honest mistake and it was thrown out on accident. I don't know what to think of this, and feel very conflicted about my rating of this hotel because of it.

Sadly, even though there are charming points to this hotel, I won't be returning here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple