“Beautiful”

Ranked #15 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My partner took me here for a birthday surprise and we loved it!
We stayed for one night in The Wilson Suite and we were blown away with the size and pure elegance of the room. The room was special it didn't feel like a hotel, everything was top quality and styled to perfection.
The staff were lovely, friendly and professional, I think it was Shon who was there when we arrived and when we left. We were given a warm welcome with a glass of champagne to our room. My partner doesn't drink so I enjoyed them both ;) We were in walking distance to City Centre so we went out for dinner.

We had breakfast in the Nira and it was fantastic, not only can you pick a meal from the menu but there was a very classy breakfast buffet, which had fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and pastry. YUM! I had the full Scottish/English breakfast, some fruit and a few croissants. Everything was so fresh and cooked to perfection. The coffee was really nice too.

This was such a special birthday gift, really enjoyed our stay.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hello LeanneC
Well well, another mention for the now famous "Shon". He really is a sensation and is professional and well mannered to boot ( it's his hair we all love however.) We as a team are dedicated to a guest-centric experience and we are all working hard to deliver this everyday . I'd like to thank you personally for choosing our hotel and taking the time to post a review. Every review really counts I our journey on Tripadvisor .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Greek first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Having stayed at The Nira in it's previous incarnation "Number10" we knew what to expect. As a treat, given the reason for the stay, I upgraded to the Blackwood Suite. I say "upgraded, but the room last time was beautiful anyway. The Blackwood, however, was immense. Jacuzzi bath, separate lounge area, patio garden & a huge bed that devoured us. The hotel arranged a bouquet & even printed off the tickets for our evenings entertainment for me. "In-room" breakfast with a sunday paper topped off a very successful weekend with the added bonus of not having to book out till 12.
Wonderful hotel with the nicest staff to be found. Great location being 5 min walk from Princes St. Parking not a problem at either time we were there which can be a problem at other Edinburgh hotels. Almost a hidden gem.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Niall S
You didn't mention if she said YES ?? We were all waiting to hear but were afraid to ask! I'm chuffed you loved the room and the service , our newly refurbished Blackwood suite is beautiful, and I personally oversaw this rooms refurbishment as it is a special special suite. W spend a great deal of time reading these reviews and the good ones make our day. Thank you for posting . I do hope to welcome you back to Nira Caledonia soon.
Killearn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a wee gem of a hotel. Discreetly positioned in Edinburgh's New Town, Nira Caleodnia manages to be both glamorous and welcoming. Small enough that everyone knows your name but spread out enough to afford great privacy. The rooms were luxuriously decorated and because we were with friends, we got to nosy into theirs too. All the rooms are different and each has a special something. Ours had a a breathtaking view across rooftops to the forth and a grand bath in its own room - there was even a separate shower and toilet. It was almost like having an apartment. Next time I want one of the rooms with it's very own private garden. Where on earth do you get that? Great location to let you enjoy the area like a local. The terrific food was served in a beautifully lit restaurant. Candlelight and mirrors - always flattering.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Killearn
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Killearn.
You are so right, "a wee gem of a hotel" this is exactly how I'd describe our hotel. Sounds to me like you all had a great time and I'm glad you got to look at other rooms, we have 28 individually styled rooms and each has its own personality, if you agency a suite with a garden next time, try 1003 with its own private garden and a jacuzzi . Remember to always book directly with us , ask for Emma in reservations.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were given a one night stay in a Jacuzzi suite as a surprise birthday present from my step daughter. We were met at reception and although we had arrived early we were greeted nothing was too much trouble for them. On checking if our room was ready we were told it would be a couple of minutes till the room had been checked by management. In no time at all we were greeted by Rory the manager and then taken up to our room by Katie. The room was very tastefully decorated and very spacious and the large Jacuzzi adjoining the bedroom looked amazing. A few minutes after entering the room we had a knock on the door and on opening it was greeted by Rory with a bottle of Proseco, Katie with a slate serving tray with delicious Hors d'oeuvres followed by Andrew with our case. This was a beautiful touch and staff seemed to take delight in making you feel so comfortable and relaxed. After going to see friend in city centre we returned to find the room all lit by candles, Jacuzzi filled, petals scattered over the bed and floor(Housekeeping must love this beautiful touch lol), another slate serving tray this time with strawberries coated in chocolate(mmm Delicious) and a bar of chocolate on bedside table. We then found out it was the romance package we were being treated to and Jamie we complement you for making the room such a romantic setting and making our night in your hotel so amazing. In the morning we went for breakfast around 10 and were met by smiling staff eager to do anything for you. The selection at breakfast is first class and the cooked breakfast was the best I have tasted everything cooked perfectly and served piping hot. Another surprise came when waitress supplied with champagne to round of a beautiful stay. Staff attended to everything you asked but were not in your face annoying you, just what you want from a hotel. The Manager Rory even took time to speak with us to check everything had been to our satisfaction and explained things were coming together in the way that he wants the hotel to run.

To summarise we would recommend this hotel as everyone makes you feel special and nothing seems to much trouble. We congratulate you Rory on making this such a special day for me celebrating my 50th birthday.

A warm thank you to all the staff both front of house and backroom staff for the way in which they present this luxurious hotel.

Room Tip: For Luxury ask for large larger Jacuzzi room
Hello louedin.
Firstly WOW, your review is a peach, with lots of photos too. Thank you for taking a few moments to post. All the team at Nira Caledonia love seeing their names mentioned on Trip Advisor. I've spoken to Jamie , Katie , Andrew and ensured they all read the review and thanked them for their hard work. We very much hope to see you again soon .
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having my own young business and 2 young children, it generally means that a night away is a real treat, and definaltly not an opportunity to be wasted. And if there was ever one night of the year that my wife and i should buck the trend it should surely be our wedding aniversary. So after a very enthusiastic recomendation from a good friend, we booked here for a single night away on a mid week night in March.

Upon arrival, the attention to detail was immaculate. It looked as though somebody had gone to great lengths in the lobby to ensure that every booklet, flyer and flower were in pristine positions. We were greeted by Shaun, who was the embodiment of perfect customer interacton, friendliness and professionalism. We were late checking in, really late, but nobody so much as battered an eyelid at our time keeping. Our bags were whisked away and we were shown to our newly renovated suite. No expense spared here i can tell you (i know this as my wife chose exactly the same carpet for our home and the bill was really something to behold). A well travelled friend once told me that you should never stay in a hotel unless it is just as nice, or superior, to your own home. Well, the room was immaculate with some lovley little touches. My wife is a stickler for nice bed linnen, and she thought that it was first class, so there was no remeniscing of our White company bedding at home. Moreover, the room had its own Nespresso coffee machine and i can hardly function in the morning without my own in my kitchen at home, so this really was a wecome sight. We were handed a booklet with all the normal hotel info inside, and a weather report for the duration of our stay which is a new one for me in any hotel. A glass of wine and a cosmopolitan for my wife were delivered and very happily recieved. A great start.

We got changed and went upstairs for dinner. The restaurant is dark, moody and sophisticated and really fitted the occasion. The menu is well planned too, and we toyed with the idea of the 7 course taster menu, but due to us being generally late for everything on this day, we would have felt obliged to pay the staff for over time. So a la carte it was. Lobster ravioli, awesome. Scallops 3 ways, Light and well ballanced. They make a big deal of having a Josper grill (a bit like an in-door BBQ) and alot of the main components from the main menu are cooked in this. We both had steaks for mains and they were beautifully charred on the outside and tender an juicy in the middle. Both were cooked just how we liked and it was very apparent that chef knew his way around a sauce pan as the pepper sauce was deep and rich. The wine list, although small, was well selected and well priced, maybe a little too well priced as i didn't spare a second thought as i ordered glass, after glass, after glass, after....... surely this is a sign that i was having a great time?

The restaurant service was just right. Friendly, well paced, attentive but not intrisive, and Chef even came out to check on our main courses which was a really nice touch. So far, i was getting real brownie points from my wife for booking here as they really didn't put a foot wrong. We went back to the room after dinner and they had filled our room with candles and made the place look really romantic. Another really nice touch.

The next morning, after a long lie in to sleep off the wine from the night before, we went to check out at 11 am. Agan, the smiles and enthusiasm of the girls on reception was commendable. Now, some hotels only serve breakfast until 9.30am, some until 10, but here they will accomodate you with a smile until 11 am. So a full scottish breakfast was happily supplied. Most people think that a cooked breakfast is an easy thing to execute, and i guess it is in some ways, but to do a really great cooked breakfast as not so easy. Every component of the plate was immaculate, and it breathed life into me with every perfectly cooked mouthful. Bliss....

In summary, this place is beautiful. The staff are well trained, organised and seem like they genuinley want to make everything as perfect as they can. We wished that we could have stayed for another night or 6, but duty called us back home. Maybe this should be the aniversary destination every year? And with access to the rest of the city just a hop skip and a jump away, its really well place to do whatever you fancy in this beautiful city that i used to call home.

1 Thank theadamson127
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear theadamson127
All I have is WOW... What a review. It is the longest I think we have had!! I can tell you that Shon will be chuffed with the mention and the comments on his professionalism ( he also has great hair.)
We are working hard to create a boutique hotel experience unlike no other and the attention to detail and level of service you mentioned let's is know that we are getting there. Great to have you stay with us , the whole team really enjoyed looking after you. I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia soon.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

What a great hideaway from the hustle and bustle of the city centre! Within easy walking reach of the main city streets, the Nira Caledonia was a very quiet, relaxing hotel with amazing food and good service. Highly recommended for a short break in Edinburgh.

2 Thank preWebIT
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello preWebIT
Reading your review makes me smile, it's says exactly what we are trying to archive.Great food, a relaxing boutique hotel and stunning service. So many potential guests use trip advisor as a tool to make their choice of hotel but so few actually post a review after staying, so thank you from us all for taking the time. I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia soon.
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a nice stay. Upon arrival, the hotel informed us that we would be upgraded. We stayed in one of the rooms at the top floor. The lack of a lift made for a little exercise, but the hotel staff graciously brought our luggage upstairs for us. They also advised us on where to park and allowed us to charge coins to our bill so that we had change for the meter. It is in a convenient location, within walking distance to Edinburgh Castle. Room decor was nice, bathroom was lovely. Staff were very friendly. Ate dinner at the hotel - good food, but a little slower service than expected. There seemed to be only two people working - with over 10 tables. We would stay again for our next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canesgirl2006
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear canesgirl2006.
Great little review, sorry we didn't score 5 stars though from you? Perhaps you caught I so a very busy night in BlackWoods restaurant . We do try to always staff correctly but sometimes it's difficult to predict just how many guests and non residents will turn up to dinner so if we were a little slow I am sorry. A great chef friend of mine used to say "good food takes time" and we really believe this idea and thus our service is aimed at a long relaxing dinner over a good bottle of red wine. I hope the next time you stay we can deliver the full experience.