“Defiantly recommend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Middlesbrough
“Defiantly recommend”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This was our our second stay staff were really friendly and would go out of their way to make you feel welcome and do anything for us, Ordered room service and the food was gorgeous. The hotel and the suite we stayed in was clean and modern not one thing to complain about! It's only a short walk from the centre, will be staying again in the future without a doubt well worth the money we paid

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello StephanieL
Nice little review, short and sweet but does what it says on the tin. Thank you for posting after you stayed , we love to read the great comments . Return guests comments mean more as it suggests we are getting it right over and over. I hope you become a Nira regular, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 days in April 2014. Let me say right away that the staff in the hotel are excellent, friendly and helpful in every way. Five stars for them. The hotel however is what it is - a Grade 2 listed building that has restrictions on what can be done to the interior. While the decor is very nice the hotel has some problems. I was given a single room on the top floor and, while the views were very nice, there is no elevator and the stairs are rather steep. This may sound strange but I had just spent a week doing some serious hiking in the Outer Hebrides and my legs were shot, so climbing the stairs was not ideal. How I wished for that elevator! Also, being on the top floor, water pressure was poor, the jacuzzi tub jets did not work and the rainforest shower was so weak that it was unusable so I had to run the tub for about 20-25 minutes to clean up.
Reception is rather narrow and those coming in and going out have to make way for each other.
I made a reservation to eat at Blackwoods Grill one night but the reservation never made it through to the restaurant so I had to be accommodated as a "last minute" arrival (maybe only 4 stars for the staff). The wine list is very poor. My glass of Merlot was as cheap as it gets. I still find it hard to understand why a country that sits next to France struggles so badly with the concept of good wine. I was told that the hotel was cognizant of the wine situation and that improvements were coming.
Location is very good for this hotel. It is in a quiet high quality area only a few minutes walk from High Street, Princes Street etc and close to the Botanic Gardens. It was nice just to walk around the neighborhood and it reinforced my view that Edinburgh would be a nice city to live in. All in all, I gave the hotel 3 out of 5 stars but I understand that, as a listed building, some things are beyond the control of the owners. I think that a lower floor and larger room would be the way to go here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Diabaig
Well Diabaig.
What do we have here ?. A 3 star review? For Nira Caledonia.? We were all in shock this morning.
Let's address the "elevator" situation since you refer to it a few times. We would LOVE a elevator and trust me after carrying bags up and down all day long our poor conceriege pray for it, but alas as you state we are a listed building and thus it's just not possible, on the plus side our porters and conceriege have great calf muscles ... Thank you for taking the time to mention that all the staff were great, ill pass this on to them all personally . It might be worth noting that we send our a pre arrival email to all guests so if you specifically do not want to top floor room you could have requested this in advance , also we upgraded you as you had booked a single room but we thought to be nice since we were slow on the dates you stayed we gave you a petite double .
Now water presssue and your jacuzzi jets! Edinburgh has water issues, you are on the top floor and it's a listed building and it takes a little time for the water to travel from the pavement level to the top floor of any building , the jets in the tub itself only start working once they are covered in water, I guess tho never happened and thus no jets, but a quick call to reception would have had this explained and or we would have sent up a member of staff to assist.
Now the wine list,and the dreaded Merlot.. I guess it's down to taste as it one of our best selling wines, you did mention to a number of the team that you were a trained a sommelier and even recommended new wines for us to consider , these have been taken to our F&B Manager for his consideration as he to is a trained sommelier . I hope some of your ideas make the cut. All in you seemed to enjoy your time with us out with the minor issues mentioned as always we encourage any issues to be highlighted to us during any stay so we can assist and make better as reading about them on forums such as this retrospectively is difficult. I do hope you return and allow us the opportunity to show you a different stay, ( ground floor this time )
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Visited for family anniversary and was not disappointed. Food excellent and great service once again. Steaks are delicious. Thanks to David and Marec for their hospitality. Looking forward to returning in near future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hey derek1975
Thanks for posting another review, most guests don't have the time .
The secret to our fabulous steaks is the Josper oven and our trademarked secret spice mix that marinades them. I've spoken to Chef and Marek and passed on your comments to them both, we look forward to seeing you again soon
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The warm welcome on arrival set the tone for a great time at Nira Caledonia. The staff were all enthusiastic with attention to detail and a genuine interest in their guests being qualities that shone through again and again.

Beautifully decorated the interior does not disappoint with the Blackwood's Bar & Grill a highlight - we had decided to have Sunday Lunch and the warm intimate atmosphere made us feel like we were at home with friends and not in a busy restaurant. Our waiter David was very attentive and showed a great sense of humour particularly with what my daughter calls my embarassing "dad" jokes. A nice touch when the rest of the party had wine my irn bru was brought out in a wine cooler as to not make me feel left out.

The Head Chef popped out to say Hello which I thought was a really nice touch and the General Manager Rory even took time out of his day to chat with us for a little while which again shows the level of interest in their guests.

I'd definitely return and have recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the amazing food at their restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hello JimKY11
It was great meeting you and your party on the Sunday you all had lunch. The F&B team really enjoyed looking after you all, especially David ( BanterPants as he is known here) . Our Sunday lunch is perfect for those days you just can't face cooking yourself, I'm chuffed you all had a good time. Our new summer menu just went live this week, so come back soon and try it,
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 15 April 2014

From start to finish, this was a wonderful experience. We spent 5 days at the hotel in early April 2014, The hotel is situated on a lovely, quiet street of Georgian homes. Yet a 5 minute walk down the hill brings you to the local neighborhood of Stockbridge with its restaurants, bars, bakeries, butcher shops, fish mongers and thrift stores. A five minute walk up the hill brings you to the Center City. Five more minutes gets you to the castle, museums and other attractions. We were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go.
The hotel itself is charming with a lovely back garden and an elegant bar/restaurant. Breakfast was delicious and we also had two wonderful dinners. Great, attentive service in addition to scrumptious food.
All around, the service was friendly and helpful. From giving directions, to recommending local restaurants, to making sure we had umbreallas when we went out in the rain, the staff made us feel cared for in every way.

1 Thank Paula R
Hi PaulaR
What a great little review, thank you for taking a few moments to post it. The team here at Nira really try hard to push the envelope on every guest experience and it gives us all a great amount of pride to read the reviews that our guests post. I hope you have a chance to come back and stay again in the future,
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We tried to book a room in the hotel for a long weekend but the hotel was full (no surprise as it is such a changed place). We did however manage to book a meal for the Sunday night and I am pleased to say that the quality of the food was matched only by the service. From the welcome at the entrance to the hotel all the way through our meal , we felt like we were the only people there (although the restaurant was almost full). The knowledge of he waiting staff was excellent and we enjoyed every bit of the meal.

The only disappointment was that we were unable to book a room - need to plan ahead for the next time.

Keep up the good work, Rory and the rest of the team.

1 Thank Robert C
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Well RobertC
What can I say, it seems we have truly made you part of the family at Nira, I'm so glad !.
We are really busy now so if you are booking we always suggest well in advance , please always book direct and ask for Emma.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

don't normally write reviews but for this hotel it was a must. I don't know were to start. Before we even got to the hotel the service was brilliant. I had a few questions and the woman Emma is reservations was amazing with e-mails back and forth very quickly. We arrived at the hotel and the staff and so friendly and welcoming. I never got the name off the man at resorption unfortuatly but he was great so helpful. We were personally taking to our room with a lovely surprise off an ungrade to one off the jacuzzi suits, it was our first wedding anniversary so this was very special for us. We went for dinner in the restaurant the menu was great and the food was so tasty. The waiter sorry I never got his name either. Names are not my strong point lol. He was very attentive and service next to none. Check out strait forward and once again greated by friendly staff. Also forgot to mention the little touches like the music already playing in the room, the tunnoks teacake. The private garden off or room amazing. The shower was massive the towels and dressing gowns in the room had a beautiful smell to them. The room was absolutely spotless and very tastfuly decorated room 1003. The only thing was we were asked if we wanted a turn down service and said yes but it never happened. But honestly the best hotel I have ever stayed in. We are booking for our anniversary next year. We only came home today and I have recommended the hotel to 3 friends that have special occasions coming up. I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel for making myself and my husband's first wedding anniversary a truly memorable one. We can't wait to return.
The Arnotts

Room Tip: Go for a suite, you won't be disappointed
Hello jennifer32happy
What a stunner of a review, thank you , myself and the team really enjoy reading all the feedback.
1003 is one of our newly refurbished Jacuzzi suites and has its own private garden too. It sounds to me as if you really enjoyed it. Great to see you have rebooked already, see you next year.