“Peaceful retreat!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Peaceful retreat!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for during our babymoon and had a fabulous time! The room was comfortable and well appointed! It was furnished with modern amenities while maintaining, it's old world charm, our room had a great view of the garden and it was quite nice to be able to look out the floor to ceiling window in the morning while sipping on a cup of tea. My only complaint was that there were no elevators to take us to our rooms and we had a bit of luggage since we were traveling for two weeks! The room was a bit small, but that is to be expected with a boutique hotel.
The staff at the front desk was extremely helpful when we had an issue with our credit cards and had to call our bank from overseas! They made great recommendations as to where to go for dinner and which historical sights were worth the visit!
The complimentary Scottish breakfast was excellent, the service was quick and the food selection was vast, I was told that everything on the menu was sourced locally, which you could really taste. It's truly a great way to start off your day. I highly recommend the smoked salmon and eggs, it was simply divine. The dining room is busy in the morning, but I'm glad we were able to take our time without feeling rushed, go earlier if you want a quiet breakfast.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay, I wish Nira Caledonia was a little closer to all the attractions, but it was fairly simple to get a taxi back to our room! We would definitely stay here again, if we are ever back in Edinburgh!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LVoeME
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
LVoeME
What a nice review and I hope your babymoon was nice and relaxing. All our rooms vary in size and decor as each is individually styled and thus each up have their own personality. The sizes we try to make clear on the web site , petite doubles being the smaller of the room types but perfect for just 2 people for 1 night or 2! As with all these things the suites and jacuzzi suites cost more but you get more , however I love the cosy factor that the smaller rooms offer. Perhaps after baby is born you can return and try our Nira Signature Suite, all the room you could need and garden access.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a garden jacuzzi suite for my birthday - WOW! Amazing hotel and the service and staff were brilliant!
My partner and I got engaged here so it will always hold special memories, and I hope to go back again next year.
Rooms were clean, really good size, the location is perfect for shops, restaurants and bars. Not one single fault to mention!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Victoriam19477
Hello Victoriam19477
Short but sweet review that really says it all . We are a small boutique hotel with a dedicated staffing who pride themselves on discreet service with stunning standards, I'm chuffed you loved it.
Please come and stay every year on your anniversary.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I wanted somewhere special as we could only have a two day honeymoon due to emigrating to Australia. After looking at the Nira Caledonia website we decided on this hotel after comparing it to others, the winner for us was the joint spa tub pictured on their website.

After booking I rang to confirm our booking and asked what the website meant by the three spa tub rooms being different and was assured that the only difference was the layout of the rooms, so after being told this I assumed we were getting a spa tub like the one advertised.

My husband and I couldn't really afford such a luxury place and really booked it specifically for the spa tub and was disappointed to find that our tub, was not unlike the ones you would buy for your own home.

We felt a little cheated and conned to be honest.

That being said the staff made up for our disappointment (the glass of bubbly and card on arrival was a lovely touch). We asked reception if they could print some tickets we had ordered via groupon and the lovely young man even brought them down to our room. We also had a late train departure and after checking out were able to store our bags at the hotel still as we explored the city a little more.

This is a lovely hotel, but I wouldn't recommend it as it doesn't match the cost you pay to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_L_Everitt
RoryGM, Front Office Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Mrs_L_Everitt,

Thanks for taking the time to review us after your stay in February.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and adding little touches that make stays memorable and I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your arrival gifts and that our concierge Jamie was able to assist you.

I was however sorry to hear that our jacuzzi suite wasn't to your liking. As you may or may not be aware we have three unique jacuzzi suites within the hotel and pictures of all three are posted throughout our website, trip advisor and other various booking sites. All of our jacuzzi suites do feature a double spa tub just in various shapes and the room you stayed in features a beautiful corner jacuzzi. Infact since its refurbishment in January it's become our favourite room so much so that we have renamed it the Nira Caledonia Signature suite as it comes with it own little garden which is a little peace of tranquillity in Edinburgh.

We do try and endeavour to meet all requests for specific rooms and offer guarantee's at a supplement however unfortunately this was never specified on your booking therefore I feel the use of words conned and cheated rather harsh.

Nevertheless should you ever wish to return please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

With kind regards,
Emma Dickson
Reservations Manager
Midlothian
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We decided to try Blackwoods at Nira Caledonia for a meal, as my husband had a josper grill meal abroad and wanted to try Blackwoods which also cooks this way.
Our waiter had noted my allergy (mentioned at time of booking) and pointed out items on the menu to avoid.
Bread was brought to the table with butters and oil/balsamic, and our waiter explained the bread was made locally - Peters Yard, and the contents of the butters explained.
Complementary Amouse Bouche was brought to the table. For starters we chose scallops which were plump and juicy - cooked perfectly, and half lobster from the grill.
The waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine list - reeling off wines available by the glass without referring to the list.
For mains we chose pork, which was a lovely piece of meat, very juicy, and the ribeye steak, again cooked perfectly with a tasty peppercorn and whisky sauce with a langoustine on the side which had a nice smoky flavour off the grill.
An enjoyable meal, served by friendly staff and attention to detail.
We asked to see a room for possible future visits, and this was done with no problem. The room looked to have been recently decorated, and to an extremely high standard. Would not hesitate booking here for a special overnight stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellersHHJH
Dear TravelersHHJJ
Thanks for this review, nice to read you loved the Josper Grill. It really is a stunning bit of kit and our Chef's work really hard to create the char grilling its so famous for, as well as using the best produce possible ( our steaks are Highland Drover). The whole team take a great pride in spending time reading these reviews and it spurs us onwards In our quest for the perfect guest experience
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have just spent a lovely weekend at this hotel. It is perfectly situated in the heart of a beautiful city and offers comfort and class at very reasonable prices. The staff are absolutely fantastic and aim to make your stay as enjoyable and stress-free as possible, nothing is too much to ask of them. The room was beautiful and clean with a delightful touch of a Nespresso coffee machine and tunnocks teacakes! The food was delicious and I would highly recommend dining in. I would certainly look no further than Nira Caledonia when returning to the city, in fact I am looking for any reason I can to make a return trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
DianeL
well here we go again, Tunnocks Tea Cakes stealling the show. We do love the fact that these famous Scottish treats feature more on our Tripadvisor page than any member of staff .
The Whole team are a bit obsessed with them and especially Georgie, one of our housekeepers who is know to scoff 5 or 6 on any shift.I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira soon
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is absolutely amazing. To anyone looking for a unique and very special hotel experience at reasonable prices- you have found your place. My husband and I stayed here for our wedding night and we honestly can not rate this place highly enough.

We were looking for a boutique hotel with character and warmth - some of the much larger 5* hotels in Edinburgh we find can be very cold, over charge and do not go the extra mile at all.
From the moment I got in touch to arrange our stay the staff were extremely friendly and excited for us, which you want for your wedding night accommodation. As soon as we arrived we were treated like royalty and all the little touches and effort made for us was amazing.
Rory, Neil and Emma, along with ALL the other staff (I cant remember their names but wish I could), were by far the best hotel staff I have ever come across and went to so much effort to make our stay wonderful in every way- without being at all intrusive.

We stayed in the garden jacuzzi suite and it was beautiful, I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a space to lounge and relax in in the evenings.

Thank you so much Nira Caledonia for being by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in- and we have stayed in many many hotels, and for helping to make our special night so fantastic!!!

Room Tip: Garden Jacuzzi suite is wonderful
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Firminator
Great title for a review. Its always great to read reviews such as yours and know the team got the job done and done right.Thanks for the name chack for Emma and Neil, both play a very important role in the service delivery at Nira.
Thanks for taking a few moments to post a review they really do make our job worth while.
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

If you have seen my previous reviews, you'll know I think this is a hidden gem in Edinburgh. Well this is maybe my fourth stay and I still love it. It is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in, for a number of reasons which I am more than happy to point out:

- the team at the Nira are just super. Nothing is too much hassle. You will never go to bed in need of something. Their aim is for you to have a relaxing stay, business or pleasure
- the food is just perfect - not too big, not too small, cooked to perfection by a great kitchen team who are only too happy to cater for people like me with 101 allergies
- the rooms are wow. Whether you book the petit double or a suite, you can't be disappointed with the nespresso machine, quiet mornings and super comfy beds. If on business, a petit double is all you need. It is as it sounds, petit - but you're usually only there for a short stay so weigh it up - travelodge with hard matresses and pillows and restless sleep or arrival to a cute room, playing classic fm, and a team who make you feel very at home - the price differential is minimal at certain times
- location is great for thr city. 10 mins in taxi from train station and about 20 mins from airport on a clear run. You can walk out if you like but try tge restaurant, it's a big plus!

On that note, I will leave you to click the 'book' button!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello MissV

What can I say? Your review captures the very spirit that is Nira Caledonia. Our team here are all about service, with a bit of style and lots of substance thrown in. We are pushing the envelope on what I like to refer to as "guest centric" experiences , and each day we learn a little more and try a little harder. Reviews like your one today make my fly as it proves we are getting it right, thank you for being a loyal guest and for recognising true boutique service .