Nira Caledonia
US$613
US$129
US$125
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
Agoda.com
US$185
US$167
1,226 results
All reviewsjacuzzi suiteprivate gardennespresso machineboutique hotelchateaubriandstockbridge arealovely hotelno liftlisted buildingturn down serviceon arrivalsmall hoteltop floorquiet streetgeorge streetfull scottish breakfasta wonderful stay
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in the Nira Caledonia for a whole month whilst away on business and can I note that I had booked other prestigious, well known accommodation for subsequent weeks and cancelled them on the first day of staying at the Nira Caledonia, it was that good! Once you have stayed here, you will not stay anywhere else in Edinburgh.

I ate in the Blackwoods Bar and Grill nearly every night of my stay and I was never once disappointed! The food was cooked to perfection every time.
Bread was always brought to the table with butters and oil/balsamic and the waiters always explained the different breads and the contents of the butters. Complimentary amouse bouche was brought to the table every night and these were always to die for. I had every starter on the menu and everything was always cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend the prawns and the mackerel. (Before my stay here I did not eat any fish!)
I also had the opportunity to try everything off the main course menu and everything was always cooked exactly to my requirements. The steak was cooked on a josper grill and it came with a delicious choice of sides. Every meal in Blackwoods was enjoyable with the staff always being very attentive and as I was dining alone, I never once felt it.

From the moment I entered the Nira Caledonia I was greeted by pleasant reception staff that catered to my every need. All the staff were very welcoming and made me feel right at home. The waiters were very friendly and their service was superb, I must mention three in particular who happened to be working in the hotel at night, Murray, Roland and George. These three were so knowledgeable about the food on offer, the beverages they served and the local area. They were discreet but always appeared just when I needed them. It has been by far the best service in a restaurant I have received to date and due to my work, I have dined in many places.

I also would like to mention the outstanding service provided by the manager, Rory. As I was staying the hotel for a whole month I got to know Rory and he was very accommodating and made me feel very welcome with all the little personal touches that larger hotels seem to forget about.

I stayed in a variety of different rooms during my stay and all of these were beautiful and very comfortable. They had lots of little touches that made the rooms homely, for instance a Nespresso machine, iPod Docks and lovely floor to ceiling sash windows which were wonderful. A couple of rooms I stayed in had Jacuzzis, these were amazing after a long hard day at the office and the smaller rooms I stayed in had glamorous modern bathrooms.

I do plan to go back to Edinburgh for a holiday and I will most definitely be staying in the Nira Caledonia. I wouldn’t go anywhere else after my stay here and I would also now consider visiting the other Nira hotels as I am sure the service will be to the same standard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Well JoanneC
I can with out a doubt you were one of our favourite guests to look after. With such a long stay you became a valuable part of the team, trying out refurbished rooms before we released them to the public, sampling the new menu before launch etc. Thanks for remembering to review us , trust me it really helps. The whole team loved looking after you , it's guests like you that make our job a real pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

From the moment you walk through the door of this fantastic hotel, nothing is too much trouble for the friendly and professional team. Upon our arrival we were made to feel very welcome and immediately offered a lunchtime drink whilst our luggage was taken to our room, which was beautifully furnished and overlooked the very quiet and elegant Georgian street. The decor and ambience throughout is delightful and just what was promised however, more than anything it was the wonderful people who looked after us which made our stay so perfect. A special thank you to Emily and Sean at front of house, David in the restaurant and bar and also chef who made us a lovely late night snack.
We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and look forward to staying here again in the future.

Hello DavidV
I can tell you both Emily and Shon are delighted that you named dropped them for giving great service , Emily was so chuffed to see her name in lights. David in the bar is a regular on here with slightly more mentioned than the now famous Tunnocks tea cakes. For reading your review is looks like we got it right, im glad, it's takes a lot of work to make a stay a special one.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Enjoyed our weekend stay at this lovely hotel, good location around 10 mins walk from Princes St and only 2 mins from Stockbridge which has plenty of shops/restaurants. Staff were great, really helpful and friendly and loved the breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Missmilly
Quality little review, thanks for taking a few moments after your stay with us to post. We feel our location is a little bit of a hidden gem, StockBridge really is one of the coolest areas in Edinburgh but yet it still feels local and a bit special. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I do hope to welcome you back to Nira Caledonia soon

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of Nira Caledonia is perfect for a city break. Tucked away in a beautiful cobbled street only minutes away from the heart of the Edinburgh action. The building is very impressive and that theme carries on inside. The welcome we received from the front of house staff was perfect. We arrived early and was instantly offered a welcome drink in the bar while the final touches were made to our room. It was my wife's birthday and they'd set out some beautiful chocolate dipped strawberry's and a hand written card. A full brief on the facilities in the hotel & the room was expertly given by Sue. The garden suite we stayed in had been meticulously prepared and is decorated to a fantastic finish. Blending a contemporary flare with a traditional feel. The gardens are a real treat, with patio doors opening directly onto a terrace with a seating area to relax in. After a trip along George St taking in the sights and Edinburgh hospitality we returned back to the Nira for dinner. We were not disappointed with that either. The waiter had excellent knowledge of the whole menu including it's provenance. The meal was fantastic, the goat cheese starter and the gazpacho beef were a taste sensation. But the real star of the show are the steaks, which were cooked to perfection and served with a great choice of delicious sides. The extensive wine list was also fabulous, we opted for a fantastic Italian Red on the advice from the hotel manager Rory, we were not disappointed. After a delicious meal and after dinner coffees we retired to our suite. The staff had turned it into a candle lit heaven with the turndown service. The bed and pillows were probably the most comfiest I've ever slept in for a long while. A fantastic nights sleep was had and we were fully refreshed in the morning. The breakfast didn't disappoint, it was at the same standard as the evening meal with great produce and a wide selection to choose from. Overall the Nira Caledonia is a fantastic hotel and I would recommend it to everyone. From check in to check out it was a pleasure to stay. Can't wait till we're staying there again.

1  Thank bustasdits

Well bustadits.
What a review.. Seriously . Reading it makes me happy. As I write this we are about to walk into a hellishly busy Friday but I always take a few moments each day to read and reflect on the days reviews . It was great meeting you both over dinner and I'm chuffed the Red wine I suggested was a hit. It's guests like you that make our job a pleasure,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is an excellent hotel close to nice shops and bars in Stockbridge. We were in the Blackwood Suite, which opened out onto a garden on the basement level. Room was fantastic, jacuzzi bath and jet shower. Staff were great, always happy to help and very friendly.
No problem in recommending this hotel for a weekend trip to Edinburgh, we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Blackwood Suite is in the basement, but opens out onto the garden, great to sit out with a coffee.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hey Matt S
Thanks for a great little review. The BlackWood suite is a special room for lots of reasons, it's name which harks back to the days of Christopher North who once lived here and also the name of our Restuarant. The private garden is also a nice little extra. Glad you guys had a great stay. I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.