“Very nice hotel”

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a lovely stay there. The service was great, the staff were very friendly and the room was excellent. One minor criticism would be the jacuzzi having a bit of scum frothing from the tap and maybe the pump was a little low on power but other than the everything was really great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello donnie745
Love that you enjoyed the service and the rooms, that's really the key things any hotel should get right. Just so you know I've spoken to the "scum" that frothed around your tap in the jacuzzi and gave it a telling off and told it not to come back ... I real terms though, this is probably the Edinburgh water as it's pulled up through pipes that really are very old.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I can't rate the Nira highly enough! Stayed for 1 night for my husband's 40th but wish it could have been longer.
It's located on a lovely quiet street - you wouldn't think you were only 10 minutes walk from Princes Street.
From the moment we arrived we felt very special - not least because of the upgrade to a garden jacuzzi suite and glass of champagne. It's the little touches - the handwritten welcome card, the bags taken to the room before being escorted there, the beautiful smelling toiletries, the fresh milk for the Nespresso coffee...
And then there's the breakfast! Absolutely top quality.
Every single member of staff was wonderful too.
Thank you so much for making our weekend so perfect.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank jo s

Hello Jo S
I guess it's the. Little things that make us stand our , the hand written card, a little comp drink to a room on a special occasion , or just the way the whole team strive to make each guest stay a personal one. Reading your review to the team at our morning meeting made everyone's day. Thanks for taking the time to post. I hope you return again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I went for our anniversary and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel so "at home". Every single one of our needs were catered for and the room was a complete delight with a stunning little garden. The Jacuzzi bath was a dream and dinner in the restaurant was the perfect way to end our night. The people who work here are very passionate about what they do and it's lovely to see such great attention to detail. Special thanks to Rory, you made our stay very memorable.
Don't hesitate to visit - Top marks!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimi r
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hello mimi r
What a truly great review, sounds to me like we hit the ground running with this stay, it was great meeting you both and we all enjoyed making your stay a special one. It's always very humbling to see myself getting a name check, but please know the whole team work the magic that makes Nira such a special hotel. Look forward to seeing you both on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

been here twice and the hotel and service is second to none, stayed in the jacuzzi suite twice which is amazing and very big, its a hotel that you really need to spend the night in the room to make the most of it, on our first visit we got the honeymoon package which our bed was scattered with roses and a bt of champers, love the place

Room Tip: the jacuzzi suite is amazing
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello missbk79
Sounds like we rolled out the old romantic turndown for you, glad you liked it, the concierge team (Neil and Jamie) really love making a room look just perfect and a cheeky bit of champagne always helps . A all read every review and trust me it makes a big difference to our day . Thanks for posting a great review,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nira Caledonia is an elegant, most friendly, convenient, boutique hotel at the centre of lovely Edinburgh.
The rooms are wonderful ( as long as they are not on the top floors) fully equipped, and very comfortable. Service is excellent, and most friendly.
The restaurant , is really fantastic. We enjoyed breakfast ( Scottish +++) truly wonderful
We had dinner and truly enjoyed everything it is a gourmet chef restaurant with classic service and quiet elegant surrounding, truly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Elchanan. I tell you what. Your review says exactly what we are trying to achieve .
Thanks for posting a review, so many guests rely on this forum to make a choice about traveling but so many more don't post. Glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner we pride ourself on great locally sourced foods.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights in May. We had 2 beautifully appointed neighboring suites on the lower level, sharing a beautiful semi-private garden in the rear of the hotel.
From the moment we checked in, the staff was friendly and attentive. Katie at the front desk and David our waiter for dinner and drinks deserve special mention. All staff members extended themselves to assure our comfort.
The hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile and very convenient to a number of restaurants just minutes away from the hotel by foot.
The restaurant located in the hotel serves an excellent dinner. The included breakfast provided both buffet selections and a nice choice of freshly prepared dishes.
We loved the Nira. When we return to Edinburgh, this will be our first choice of hotels.

Room Tip: The lower level suites in unit 6 were beautiful and have access to the garden in the rear
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Wow Sdthum
What a title for a review, honestly that makes me smile.
Thank you for name dropping Katie on the front desk and David in the restaurant. Katie has been with me for a long while and really knows 5 star service inside out ( although she sometimes gets confused with countries on a map )
It's great to hear you are planning to return. Remember to book direct.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Been to Edinburgh many many times in my life. This time in Edinburgh for a family wedding for a 3 night stay in June 2014. Needed close access for walking into city centre and wanted a nicer B & B than the ones I've stayed in the past.
- Very quiet area of Newtown. Very nice walk up hill to Princes Street.
- Hard to find on map the 1st few times when coming back to hotel - would suggest an area map for guests or possibly a map or even a phone number on the access card. Coming back late the 1st night in dark took me forever to find Gloucester Place as there are gardens and alleyways surrounding this small street and its not on the main tourist maps.
- No air conditioning and it was a hot weekend so was desperately hot after taking a shower. A fan would have been nice.
- The breakfast was plentiful and good. Very charming breakfast eating area.
- Room was adequate although if I had had the energy I would have complained and asked for upgrade. I was below street level and the window wouldn't open above 5 inches. Further to compound that, the area outside the window is where the maintenance worker has his things and takes his break. I don't smoke and the smoke coming in from his cigarette drove me crazy.
- Front service people were very friendly and helpful in many circumstances. I was most impressed.

Would I recommend - yes. I am upset I didn't ask to be upgraded to another room upon seeing it but I had just been on an overnight flight, spent the morning touring, so was too exhausted to deal with it.

Location, breakfast, and quiet charm make it a solid 4*

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Gottogetaway01
Interesting little review, thanks for posting after your stay. Thanks also for your suggestions, I thought I'd take a few moments to address them in order,
We offer maps at reception and in our welcome packs so I'm a little surprised you never had one, but simply asking at reception could have resolved this for you.

Air conditioning. You are right we do not have any air conditioning. This is due to the hotel being a listed building and such aggressive works in a building of this nature are not permitted, we do offer cold air fans with temperature controls for the few days a year that Edinburgh is actually warm, just ask at reception and we will happily put one In your room.

Looking at your booking, you stayed in a petite double room as per your booking, if you had of required a larger room or more space booking an executive room or a suite would perhaps be a better idea. With regard to the staff member smoking outside your room, after investigation this was an outside contractor doing work in the hotel, I have since spoken with their company, but thank you for bringing this to our attention.