Nira Caledonia
US$491
US$181
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$153
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$207
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$140
US$206
US$185
US$276
US$256
Agoda.com
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$271
US$226
Travelocity
1,215 results
All reviewsjacuzzi suiteprivate gardennespresso machineboutique hotelchateaubriandstockbridge arealovely hotelno liftlisted buildingturn down serviceon arrivalsmall hoteltop floorquiet streetgeorge streetfull scottish breakfasta wonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I acknowledge our experience was a bit different. We needed a room for three people and so the price for the suite was rather expensive in this little boutique hotel. The room was very nice. Both the bathroom and bedroom have been updated and have a very modern, classy look--it was just pricey. The shower in the jacuzzi tub leaks onto the floor unless you position the glass correctly. The morning breakfast was excellent. The staff was outstanding and very helpful. They almost justified the price. It is a bit on the outskirts if you are walking to the castle or the Fringe Festival, but definitely doable if you don't mind an invigorating walk. Points for being away from the craziness of the Festival. Hats off to the front desk who helped me download the scalped tickets for the Military Tattoo. Loved Edinburgh--wish we had booked another day.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bradsd1
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello Bradsd1
Yes your stay was a slightly different one , working 3 people into 1 room but I'm glad we managed it, in August all rooms everywhere in Edinburgh are at premium rate due to the festival and we do charge for extra beds so this will have added to your bill. We like to think we are central enough for a dander into town but hidden away enough to miss the madness and any way Stockbridge is way cooler than town. Glad you thought the team were excellent we have all pushed through a crazy summer and as I write this the festival has just ended and we me can all go and hibernate.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We just returned from visiting Edinburgh and stayed at the wonderful Nira Caledonia for a few days. Our room was very comfortable, and the entire hotel was beautifully restored. The staff were amazingly attentive and knowledgable about Scottish & Edinburgh history which made our visit very memorable. The restaurant is excellent (we had dinner and breakfast there) as were the other restaurants suggested by the staff. The hotel is conveniently located in the Newtown area and allowed us to walk all over Edinburgh and get to know the city firsthand. We highly recommend the Nira Caledonia and Rory's wonderful team.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Blanca R
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Wow BlancaR
Thank you for a stunning wee review, our team here at the hotel really do try to deliver a personalised guest experience . I like to think that we touch each guests visit in a way that makes them feel at home, rested and looked after so that when guests leave they do so feeling revived , refreshed and ready to go back to their normal lives, please come again soon and remember to book direct.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We loved this place for its beautiful decor, excellent breakfast and quiet but central location. A five minute walk puts you in the middle of George Street so don't be deceived by maps -- it is very centrally located. The staff were terrific too!Definitely would recommend to family and friends!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hugalex1

Morning Hugalex
Thanks for a quality little review. I'm sitting here having my morning coffee before we go in to a busy August day and reading this review cheered me up. Our hotel is well located for everything in Edinburgh and of course , we are part of the Stockbridge village . I hope to welcome you again soon to Nira in Edinburgh

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the Nira recently during the Edinburgh Festival as part of our mini-honeymoon.

The room itself was very nice. We had a jacuzzi bath and it was fantastic, probably the best bath/shower I've ever had. The bed was super comfortable as well. The rooms are beautiful and the garden ours backed on to was very nice.

But there are a couple of things I'd like to pick up on. The bed side tables are useless, the lamps on them take up all the space so you can't put a glass of water on theme without the glass being unstable. My wife had trouble drying her hair as there was no plug point available near a mirror. Overall I'd say there was a lack of plug points to charge gadgets. Also there wasn't a bottle opener or price list for the mini bar which meant a couple of phone calls. The wifi in the room was very unreliable, it kept disconnecting on all our devices.

These are small points, as the breakfast was amazing, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. But overall I do not think it was worth the money we paid for the room (although I know we payed a festival premium).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bugenglishteacher
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hello bugenglishteacher
Oh, some work to be done here I see.. Right then . Firstly brilliant you over nearly everything and that you thought the staff and breakfast were amazing,

Secondly, these bed side tables.. I totally agree they are in some too far too cluttered. I stay every week and often try to fix such things while I'm in the room. Some rooms how beer there are just not enough space for the needed basics like lamps and coffee machines, but trust me we are working on it, I'm not sure which room you stayed in but I'll have a look today and see if I can work it out.
Great review, not amazing.. Next time we will be just amazing....

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Upon arrival we were quickly checked in by a friendly receptionist who was very helpful.

We stayed in room 10/1 which is on the top floor. If you have any difficulty climbing stairs I suggest you request a room on the lower floors as it is quite a hike. The room was lovely. It came equipped with a kettle (in the wardrobe) and a coffee maker. The mini bar is fully equipped and not too badly priced.

The bathroom is really nice with lots of lovely bathroom products supplied.

The bed was very comfortable with lovely plump pillows. There is also free wifi and the signal worked perfectly both in the room and restaurant.

We had breakfast every morning at the restaurant. My partner varied his breakfast each morning and said everything was cooked perfectly. Im not much of a breakfast person but there was breakfast to order from the menu plus a selection of fruit, yoghurts etc to help yourself to. The waitresses were very attentive and served coffee and tea when required.

We also had dinner in the restaurant on one night. The restaurant looks lovely at night, lots of candles and a great atmosphere. The food was cooked to perfection and I would definately dine here again.

The walk into the heart of the city takes about 20 minutes. Just head upwards and veer left. Its quite a nice walk as the hotel is in a quiet part of the city with lots of beautiful buildings. If you prefer a taxi it is only a short drive and cost about £6.

The staff at this hotel were excellent. The receptionist was very helpful and even printed off our boarding passes.

Also I must mention how great the one barman was on Friday night. We meant to go back to sample one of his cocktails but we never had time, maybe next time.

This was our first visit to Edinburgh and we had a fab time. It is now officially my favourite city and I cant wait to go back and i would definately stay at this beautiful hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the lower floors if you have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireDaws

Hello ClaireDaws

What a great review, sounds like you really experienced the full Nira experience . 10/1 is one of our petite doubles but it's a great room with stunning views. We make a big effort at breakfast time to get it "just right" I'm glad you loved it and the transformation of he room at dinner to make it a dark and romantic restaurant I agree is fantastic. Thanks for the review. Everyone counts