“Fantastic hotel, so friendly”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Fantastic hotel, so friendly”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just back from a 2 night stay in Edinburgh. The Nira Caledonian is a fantastic little hotel right near the centre, prefect for sight seeing. Being a listed building it has lots of character and is decorated to a really high spec. We stayed in the petit room which was small but had everything you needed and more. The room was furnished beautifully, with good quality pieces. Little touches made the room special, such as classical music playing on the stereo and a good coffee machine. However the best thing about this hotel is the friendly staff, the reception team are excellent, along with the porters and dining staff, but a huge thank you must go to the hotels manager Rory, who made us feel welcome from the minute we arrived. Well done to all, we will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Well hello nation1
You guys were great fun, I love when arriving guests "get it" . Arrive , go out for a few drinks and a nice lunch , come back about 3pm ish, happy and joking with the staff and straight to your beautiful rooms. The 4 of you were a pleasure to look after and all the team enjoyed your time with us. I hear you are all coming back next year. I'll see you then.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very glad we stayed here for this years Edinburgh trip!
Very helpful and friendly staff and lovely decorated room.
Wished we could stay a few more nights here but we will definitely be back for our next vacation here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Well ojs
Sounds like the perfect stay, you liked everything, everyone looked after you and you would defo come come back. Great review, thanks for taking the time to post. I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira in Edinburgh soon.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family and I stayed at Nira in July on our UK trip from Australia. It was the first time we had brought my two young sons to the UK and with one of them having severe allergies we were somewhat paranoid about where we stayed and how we would be catered for. When booking we were told there would be no problems and we were not let down! We had the most wonderful stay, the rooms were perfect and we were looked after beyond expectations. Every member of staff were so helpful at all times, my son's allergies were catered for and nothing was too much trouble. I could not help but recommend Nira to anyone looking to stay in the centre of the beautiful city that is Edinburgh.

Thank you Rory, GM, for such a wonderful stay, please pass on our thanks to all of your staff.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff to ensure they have what you need.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew C
Hey AndrewC
We loved looking after the 4 of you and the fact we catered for all your sons dietary needs makes me happy. The whole F&B team loved bringing you room service as they loved your accents and both your boys were great fun. Families at our hotel are always well looked after and we thought that you guys taking adjoining rooms allowed for some private time for mum and dad, this was a great move, I'd have done the same, hope the trip back to Oz was ok. Hope you come back soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I acknowledge our experience was a bit different. We needed a room for three people and so the price for the suite was rather expensive in this little boutique hotel. The room was very nice. Both the bathroom and bedroom have been updated and have a very modern, classy look--it was just pricey. The shower in the jacuzzi tub leaks onto the floor unless you position the glass correctly. The morning breakfast was excellent. The staff was outstanding and very helpful. They almost justified the price. It is a bit on the outskirts if you are walking to the castle or the Fringe Festival, but definitely doable if you don't mind an invigorating walk. Points for being away from the craziness of the Festival. Hats off to the front desk who helped me download the scalped tickets for the Military Tattoo. Loved Edinburgh--wish we had booked another day.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bradsd1
Hello Bradsd1
Yes your stay was a slightly different one , working 3 people into 1 room but I'm glad we managed it, in August all rooms everywhere in Edinburgh are at premium rate due to the festival and we do charge for extra beds so this will have added to your bill. We like to think we are central enough for a dander into town but hidden away enough to miss the madness and any way Stockbridge is way cooler than town. Glad you thought the team were excellent we have all pushed through a crazy summer and as I write this the festival has just ended and we me can all go and hibernate.
California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We just returned from visiting Edinburgh and stayed at the wonderful Nira Caledonia for a few days. Our room was very comfortable, and the entire hotel was beautifully restored. The staff were amazingly attentive and knowledgable about Scottish & Edinburgh history which made our visit very memorable. The restaurant is excellent (we had dinner and breakfast there) as were the other restaurants suggested by the staff. The hotel is conveniently located in the Newtown area and allowed us to walk all over Edinburgh and get to know the city firsthand. We highly recommend the Nira Caledonia and Rory's wonderful team.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Blanca R
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Wow BlancaR
Thank you for a stunning wee review, our team here at the hotel really do try to deliver a personalised guest experience . I like to think that we touch each guests visit in a way that makes them feel at home, rested and looked after so that when guests leave they do so feeling revived , refreshed and ready to go back to their normal lives, please come again soon and remember to book direct.
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We loved this place for its beautiful decor, excellent breakfast and quiet but central location. A five minute walk puts you in the middle of George Street so don't be deceived by maps -- it is very centrally located. The staff were terrific too!Definitely would recommend to family and friends!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugalex1
Morning Hugalex
Thanks for a quality little review. I'm sitting here having my morning coffee before we go in to a busy August day and reading this review cheered me up. Our hotel is well located for everything in Edinburgh and of course , we are part of the Stockbridge village . I hope to welcome you again soon to Nira in Edinburgh
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the Nira recently during the Edinburgh Festival as part of our mini-honeymoon.

The room itself was very nice. We had a jacuzzi bath and it was fantastic, probably the best bath/shower I've ever had. The bed was super comfortable as well. The rooms are beautiful and the garden ours backed on to was very nice.

But there are a couple of things I'd like to pick up on. The bed side tables are useless, the lamps on them take up all the space so you can't put a glass of water on theme without the glass being unstable. My wife had trouble drying her hair as there was no plug point available near a mirror. Overall I'd say there was a lack of plug points to charge gadgets. Also there wasn't a bottle opener or price list for the mini bar which meant a couple of phone calls. The wifi in the room was very unreliable, it kept disconnecting on all our devices.

These are small points, as the breakfast was amazing, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. But overall I do not think it was worth the money we paid for the room (although I know we payed a festival premium).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bugenglishteacher
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Hello bugenglishteacher
Oh, some work to be done here I see.. Right then . Firstly brilliant you over nearly everything and that you thought the staff and breakfast were amazing,

Secondly, these bed side tables.. I totally agree they are in some too far too cluttered. I stay every week and often try to fix such things while I'm in the room. Some rooms how beer there are just not enough space for the needed basics like lamps and coffee machines, but trust me we are working on it, I'm not sure which room you stayed in but I'll have a look today and see if I can work it out.
Great review, not amazing.. Next time we will be just amazing....