The furnishings in the room were very smart, as were the features in the bathroom, but for 300€ a night (peak season) it was a ridiculously small space for a couple.
There was one tiny wardrobe, about 50 cm wide, with 6 hangers. There was no space to keep 2 suitcases, instead they provided fold.out stands to put them on. The problem being, there was so little space to put them that once set up, one blocked the entrance doorway while the other forced you to step over it in order to get into bed.
There was a lovely writing desk and chair facing a window, but again there was so little room between them and the bed that it was barely possible to sit down at it.
There were not enough hooks in the bathroom to hang up sets of towels for 2 people, and the shower unit was tiny. 'Tiny' meaning that turning around in it required pinning your arms down to your sides and swiveling on your feet.
We were unable to check in till after 2pm - the reason given that they'd had a late check-out. However, after requesting a late check out for ourselves based on the fact that we had to wait so late when we checked in, we were reluctantly given an extra hour (of course they stated their Ts & Cs of not guaranteeing check-in before 3 pm!)
Technically of course they are legally covered but it would have been a doable concession to make for a disgruntled customer (it would take 15 minutes to turn the room over).
Yes the location was lovely and the breakfast excellent, but given the price of the hotel we left with a sour taste due the lack of comfort and the slight meanness on the hotel's behalf.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Prestigia so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland