“CHEAPEST DRINKS IN TOWN”
Review of Bar Salsa

Bar Salsa
Ranked #123 of 215 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 19 December 2014 via mobile

Best place to grab shots, beers, spirits, cocktails and mixers in town, to get your night well under way for less.
It's a bit of a dive, the crowds are pretty grungy and the toilets are grimey but the price of the drinks and variety available far out ways the greasiness.

barsalsa, Manager at Bar Salsa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2015

Hi ZeeTee,

Thanks for taking time out to drop us a wee review!

I'm happy to hear you took in what we aim our bar to be (apart from a dive!). We sell cheap, but quality drinks and try our best to provide the variety you mentioned. I'm happy to hear such positivity from you. Thanks again and hope you enjoy your next visit as much as your last.

Reviewed 3 September 2014 via mobile

The only "trouble" I've ever experienced on a night out has been at salsa, maybe it's a mixture of cheap drink/drunks and the high ratio of men to women, but on the whole this place attracts unsavouries. .....avoid unless you want your head kicked in!

5  Thank CLAIRE G
barsalsa, Manager at Bar Salsa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Hi Claire,

Thanks for taking time out to give us a review and I appreciate your opinion, however I feel it is very misleading.

Here at Bar Salsa me and my assistant manager do everything in our power to stop any violence in our premises. Our bar staff are very strict with intoxicated people and will never give the benefit of the doubt and we will politely ask them to leave. We strive to meet all our licensing objectives and securing public safety is one of these.

I strongly apologise if your visit was marred by violence however it is an almost non-occurrence now at our bar.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Located right on the Grassmarket, its location is as central as they come. It's open early and a perfect place to start a night out. Often busy but the staff are speedy and do their best keep everyone happy. I love how they join in the fun and sometimes end up dancing on the bar. Can't think of anywhere else with such a sense of fun. If you're visiting Edinburgh, maybe staying in the backpackers, give it a shot to get a sense of what a real rowdy Edinburgh night out can be like.

It's not just somewhere to start a night-out. Salsa's outdoor seats are a bit of a hidden gem - when the sun's going down late afternoon, your view of the castle is incredible.

People who moan about the bar need to go in with an open mind and no George Street expectations. There's a reason this place has regulars: folk love it. Edinburgh is getting ridiculous with its £4+ pints but Salsa keeps it real and drinks are well cheap.

The guys who play Jack and Victor off Still Game were there the other week. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for you.

Hi Michael,

Thanks you for taking time to review our bar.

I'm glad to see you have got a total understanding of what our bar is meant to be; cheap, fun and sometimes a bit mad!

I couldn't agree more on your 'George Street expectations' comment. We do the best we can to keep the bar clean and tidy, but most of the time customers turn a blind eye if it gets a bit out of control as they're all having too much fun! We pride ourselves on being a down to earth bar and just here for the party!

I appreciate your raving review and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I cannot stress how correct the last few reviews are when it comes to the staff of this establishment. I was absolutely flabbergasted at the way they spoke to me when I simply pointed out I had been waiting a lot longer than another customer who barged past me at the bar, only to be told in a very sarcastic manner whilst smirking antagonistically ''ok then, cheers'', I then asked to speak with the Manager and it then became abundantly clear where the problem lies. Her attitude was truly abismal and if the owner of this establishment is reading this then i STRONGLY suggest they take heed of all of these warnings, get rid of her immediately she will alientate any customers you soon have left, she as an immature, unprofessional and appauling manager/human being, she should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

17  Thank Marc H
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I can't stress how disappointed I am writing this as I previously left a raving review about the bar 'cause i love it! However as me and 2 male friends tried to get in the other night, we received just complete abuse from the doorstaff. They looked up from their phones and told us 'not tonight' and when we asked why they aggressively swore and were threatning. We asked to speak to the manager but they refused to let us. Very disappointed as i love the atmosphere of bar salsa and the drinks are very cheap!

6  Thank Edinburgh1995

Hi 'Edinburgh1995',

Thank you for taking time out to review our bar.

I can only stress my apologies to you and any friends who were greeted so rudely and aggressively by our door staff. We have taken all these reviews into consideration and have changed door staff and company. I hope you'll be back again soon and greeted politely and professionally.