“Great Place To Stay In A Good Location”

Alba Hills Guest House
Ranked #91 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
lincolshire
“Great Place To Stay In A Good Location”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for three nights in August 2012. The staff are very friendly and Itziar the manageress is very warm and welcoming.
I had a single room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. The room has recently been converted to an 'en-suite' with a very modern bathroom. My room was tidied every day and the breakfast from a menu is more than ample to set you up for the day. Buses run from outside the front door every few minutes and take you directly into town. I'll be back next year to the festival and I'll definately stay here again, so save me a room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bigguyx
albahills, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you very much for your kind coments. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay at Alba Hills and Edinburgh. We are already looking forward to welcome you again next year and to hear your recommendations for the fringe shows. From all the team at Alba Hills Thank you!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I typically stay in hostels when footing my own bill but decided to splurge on a B&B as I was traveling alone in Edinburgh and didn't relish the idea of a hostel without friends. I found them because they were offering a Groupon, which was unfortunately sold out, but contacted them just the same and was able to get a very reasonable rate for a single room for three nights!

It was a little more than 30 mins walk for me (short legs) to the royal mile from here, and maybe a ten minute bus ride (including wait time) but the bus stops are very convenient and the fare reasonable so I didn't mind the distance at all.

The room was absolutely lovely and the bathroom blew my mind with its heavenly scented toiletries and (!!) towel warmer. The sheets were a crisp cotton and the decor was both luxurious and homey at the same time. The food was delicious and the hosts were always friendly. I was having a bit of a taxi/airport emergency and was even offered a free ride to the airport!

Not only is this a nice, respectable B&B but the people go out of their way to make you feel welcome and the prices are very reasonable. I will not stay anywhere else on future visits to Edinburgh. Also, bonus points for giving me a new truffle and hot chocolate packet when I used mine - such a nice treat after a long cold day!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BananaMartini
albahills, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us and other travelers your feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time at Alba Hills and we did manage to make you feel comfortable and welcome. We will be very happy to offer our hospitality to you again in the future. From all the Alba Hills GH team, thank you very much for the best reward to our work: the guests positive experience.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed 3 nights with family of 3 with intention to go to the zoo to see the pandas! Room clean and well maintained, a little small maybe with a double and single bed plus the space taken by the ensuite facility however it served us well and the feel of the place, the staff and the breakfast well made up for the slight lack of space in the room. We weren't in the room that much anyway.
There was a tv which kept my 12 year old entertained in the mornings and free wifi an added bonus as we had taken the ipad and could research our next days activities.
The rooms could get quite hot, we were fortunate? if thats the right word that the weather was not scorching so the windows open was enough. However in August heat you may need a fan. No idea if they have any but might be worth considering if the owners read this.
The staff were great, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely, great choice and freshly cooked not all laid out for hours on end. We ate so much we didn't have a proper lunch any day just a quick snack and then an evening meal.
Great location on several bus routes straight to North Bridge (near royal mile) or Princes Street. Very easy to get about and a day ticket was great value.
Several restaurants in walking distance from the B&B.
There is parking out front for 3 cars but its on first come basis. However down the nearby streets you can also park but be careful as on side is residents permit holders only.
We love Edinburgh and thoroughly enjoyed our few days there and this B&B was a great choice.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Not all have ensuite facilities so check when you book. Also there is no lift and some rooms are up...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
albahills, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind comments; we are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed Edinburgh and your stay with us. Our rooms are en suite except for a double with private facilities and we always book it with the guest's knowledge and of course is more economic than the rest. We will consider the possibility of having a couple of fans for the guests use on request although there is not much difference on temperature from July to August but we know that the temperature feeling depends a lot on what you are use to; thank you very much for the advice, we love to have ideas and tips from our guests. We hope to welcome you and your family at Alba Hills again soon.
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We spent 3 nights here and couldn't have been more comfortable or made to feel more welcome. We'd checked with Itziar (the Manager) before we travelled that we'd be able to leave our luggage with her, even if our room wasn't ready. It was still being cleaned when we arrived, but Itziar took the trouble to explain everything to us; not just about Alba Hills itself, but the buses we could get, and where from, places of interest etc. Nothing was too much trouble.
As the weather was beautiful (yes, there are days in Scotland when it doesn't rain (we had four of them!!)), we spent our first day taking in the outdoor sites (of which there are plenty). We both slept really well every night, in the downstairs bedroom. We were only slightly disturbed one night with other guests arriving back late, but since the room is at the back, I assume it's quieter than the front. The room was immaculately clean with a small, but spotless bathroom and very comfortable bed.
Breakfast is in a large, bright room, with a range of local information books to look at. There is a large choice for breakfast, including cereals, grapefruit, pastries and a BIG cooked breakfast which set us up for the day ahead.
Alba Hills is quite a walk from the City Centre, but the buses are so frequent and quick that it's not really a problem, unless you wanted to return for a rest before heading out again. However, an all day bus pass enables you to hop on and off.

Room Tip: The guest house is on a fairly busy road, but this may be in daytime only. Ask if you can have a roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison A
albahills, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we managed to make your stay comfortable. We will be very happy to welcome you again at Alba Hills. From all the Guest House team thank you
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this place. Mainly because it is an oldold Victorian-era building that uses seriously dated water-pump technology to drain and regulate water on the top floors. ((I am not talking about the water pressure valve, which is another technology put to use in this old building.)) This water pump is essentially a veryvery loud motor that runs whenever you use the toilet, the sink, whatever. It is so loud and abrupt, it will definitely wake you up when it's running. The closest way of describing the sound would be to compare it to starting a car engine. Over and over and over again. It's a terrible experience when you are exhausted from a long day and just want some sleep.

Compared with actual hotels directly on the Royal Mile, this "bed and breakfast" establishment is also quite expensive. Using a Groupon voucher, I paid £135 for three nights "valued at £270" prior to discovering that better rated, higher quality accommodations were offering three night packages starting at around $200 USD.

** Breakfast. 3 stars. Good food, but tightly rationed (can't use the cereal bar if you order the "hot food" for example, unless you wish to pay extra) and tightly scheduled (9 - 11 am, so you miss out on breakfast if you must leave early for a tour). So it's a bit of a stressful experience and not as enjoyable as I would have liked.

** Location: 3 stars. It is near all the other "bed and breakfast" lodging. So there is not much around. It is about 2.5 km / 1.5 miles from the Royal Mile, which is about 30 minutes walking. Or, you can take the bus from the Mayfield Gardens bus stop right across the street which takes you directly to the Royal Mile in under 8 minutes.

** Service: 3 stars. Very few people seem to work here. During my stay, I encountered the hostess two or three times only, perhaps met her son or nephew (?? -- I couldn't confirm as he had very broken English), and caught a glimpse of the cook preparing my breakfast. That's it. Granted, it's a small place. But imagine waking early on a misty morning and existing a quiet, old victorian building with no one to greet you or bid you on your way. Or similarly, returning to said victorian home in the dark, keying your way past multiple locked doors and climbing several flights of stairs to your room without once encountering a single soul to acknowledge they've seen you return. it is a bit eerie.

-----

Overall, I would have given Alba Hills 3 stars, but the loud water-pump issue (which is nothing I have experienced before anywhere else) significantly lowered my quality of stay. I don't believe I will return here later in the year.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the top floor, which uses an old-school water pump to receive and drain water. It is...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hilleliza
, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give us your feedback.
We are really disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we will take your comments under consideration to improve our facilities. We always ask our guests if everything is to their liking at the time they are staying with us so we can improve their experience, unfortunately we did not have knowledge of this at the time of your stay.
Although for any future guests we need to clarify some points:
1.- We have 4 rooms on the top floor and only 2 of them have a water pump, installed last year, that helps the shower pressure, but does not come on with the rest of the water service; the rest of our rooms have electrical showers. Unfortunately this was not an option on the 2 rooms mentioned.
2.- We serve breakfast between 8 and 10 in the morning, and Sundays 8:30 until 10:30. We always offer early breakfast or continental option to our guests if they have to leave early.
3.- Due to the really low price we offered on the Groupon website (£45.00 per night for two people based on bed and breakfast and en suite rooms) we had to give the option of continental or cook breakfast. Guests staying on normal rate they have both options.
4.- Although this is a family business there is always someone to help our guest with anything they need. The owners leave on the premises and there is a bell which can be used to call our attention at any time.
We will be glad to welcome you again at Alba Hills to try to modify your opinion of our service and hospitality.
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I went by myself to see Edinburgh, a city I have wanted to visit for some time now. I booked a room in this guest house and because of it's low price, I didn't expect much. However, it is probably one of the nicest hotel stays I've ever had. The staff was soo friendly. Especially the cute lady who welcomed me and made breakfast every day. She was eager to help me find out what buses to take and what places to go see. The breakfast was also excellent. One the day of my departure I slept a bit longer and planned on eating outside, and even though I was almost an hour too late for breakfast time, she still asked me if I wanted some when she saw me heading out. I think I fell in love a little bit. My room was small, but very cozy and welcoming. It was always clean and had very comfortable furniture. I slept well every night. The location was good as well, not in the middle of the city, but maybe 10 minutes walking distance. The city itself had so many interesting things to see, I didn't feel like I finished it all. If I'm ever coming back, then I'm definately staying here again! I almost want to come back JUST to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ida V
, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our breakfast and Edinburgh, reviews like yours are what gives sense to our job and the energy to keep improving the facilities and service we offer. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you at Alba Hills again. From all the Guest House team: Thank you!!!
Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

We used a Groupon voucher for our break in Edinburgh, we too usually stay in 4 star guest houses but we were very impressed with the cleanliness, helpful owner and we thought the breakfasts were delicious, the buses are very frequent into the city and only a short trip to get there, thank you for an enjoyable stay

• Stayed June 2012
albahills, Manager at Alba Hills Guest House, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and our breakfast and we only wish we could do something about the weather. Once more your comments support our work and give us the motivation we need to reach the standards we want to achieve. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Alba Hills