“It would not be a good place in Edinburgh”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Thistle House

Thistle House
Ranked #327 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“It would not be a good place in Edinburgh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I spent only one night in Edinburgh and stayed in this place. The staff is helpful but the policies of this hotel are not convenience for customers. In my opinion, it is fine to charge 2% in the case of using credit or debit card but they haven't informed on booking via internet. There would be breakfast but only cereal and juice, if you prefer to have hot breakfast, you might need to pay addition charge about 5 pounds. Again, it had not informed via booking. The room is fine but not be impressed because the bed sheet is quite old and look cheap. Overall, this hotel might not worth for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kong10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The staff are wonderful, helpful & attentive.
I asked if they had soy milk at breakfast and they dashed out to get me some right away. They even offered to buy in vegan options for breakfast for me. Our late arrival & early departure were also no problem for them. Generally pleasant & helpful at all times.

The Location is good. It is a bit away from the centre (30 minute walk approx') we were happy with that. It is in a pleasant area which has regular, bus links & getting a taxi is not to pricey.

Our room was an ensuite double. It was large & comfy with tea&coffee facilities, tv & hair dryer. It was cleaned daily and we were very happy with it.

I felt that this B&B was great value for money and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a city centre hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I had an amazing stay at this guest house the staff were very helpful to all my needs. We were in the family en suite it is a spacious room with a good view. My kids had a great time in the back garden. The guest house is near the city centre and close to Arthur seat. Cameron Toll is full of shops and is a nice shopping complex. People are sweet and kind in Edinburgh I would definitely recommend this guest house to my friends and family. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Give them a call and they will accommodate your ever need.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

I would rate the Thistle House as a disappointment. There seemed to be a little confusion about the payment for the room, though I did end up paying what I anticipated (I think.) The location is farther from the city center than I had anticipated. The surrounding neighborhood is a little uncomfortable, and a very loud car alarm went off after midnight and continued for nearly a half hour before finally being silenced. The staff seemed to lack sufficient English speaking skills even though this is in an English speaking country. Requests I had made at the time of booking as a condition of booking were not acknowledged. Once checked in, staff was no longer present should I need assistance. I felt more like an imposition than a guest.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank twotips

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Devon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

I was disappointed by this B&B. I was charged £60 a night, more than the price quoted on the website (£25-£40) and by Edlets who I booked through. I went for this rather than chepaer options because it looked really good and the promise of a "sumptuous breakfast".
Sadly the standard did not measure up to expectations. The couple that ran the B&B were polite and helpful as far as possible but because their English was not good they were not able to help me with local areas to visit and had not heard of Arthur's Seat!! I eventually found the information I wanted from other residents!
The room was small and very basic. I was in the single en suite. The furniture was very cheap poor quality. One of the bed slats was broken, the single pillow was uncomfortable, the "wardrobe" was a child size so my clothes could not hang - even tunics were too long! The bed cover had not been cleaned.
However the sheets and towels were all spotless and towels changed and the room room was cleaned daily.
There were not enough surfaces to place things including in the bathroom - eg I had to put my washbag on the bedside table!
For the price the breakfast was not good. Service was fine, but the quailty very low. Very little choice, very basic cheap quality juice, cereals etc. The cooked breakfast was lukewarm - eggs (cooked some time previously), sausage, bacon, overcooked baked beans and overfried hash brown.
I was happy with the location - nice quiet area, could see the hills, very convenient for buses to centre and back in the evening. Sometimes I walked and it did only take 20 mins to the bottom end of town.
I wouldn't go back there again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Waverley0101
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Man took ages to answer the door and was moody, demanding payment before I'd even seen the room! No help with luggage and I felt like an inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CelticWarri0r
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

Stayed for two nights the owner on reception pretty hard faced we were given a very small room at the very top no help with luggage or lift- we were when we checked out going to be charged for a castle view!!! you would have to hang out the window to see a corner of it..Breakfast was terrible and we were charged extra for this as we did not realise when booking it was continental- we were not reminded of this on checking in. we had tried to cancel our stay but there is no refund there- a good twenty minute walk to the centre although they tell you otherwise

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple