“In need of Maintenance and Decoration”

and 1 more site!
Alexander Guest House
Ranked #284 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at this guest house in October and found the accommodation and service not up to what we were expecting. The guest house has the feeling that it is desperately in need of a coat of paint and the services of a maintenance man. Although I will mention lots of problems and niggles which individually would not be too much of a problem but because of the number of them became very annoying. More details of our visit are as follows:
Location – the guest house is located about 30 minute walk from Waverley station and Prince’s Street. It is very easy to find and is directly on a bus route to the centre of the city (which we did not use).
Accommodation – the bedroom at first glance appears to be very nice, but on closer examination, all is not well. The room is quite large with a small en-suite bathroom containing a wash basin, toilet and shower cubicle. This is where the problems first become noticeable. The glass shelf above the sink is loose and slopes downwards so placing anything on the shelf falls into the sink! There is also a large chip in the shower tray. The electric shower is easy to use and works quite well but there is not much water pressure also the light above the sink did not work.
The bedroom also on first glance appears to be well presented but you rapidly discover lots of problems. There are two bedside lamps which when attempting to switch them on would not work – they were not plugged in. We then found that to plug one of them in I had to move the bed slightly, the other lamp we could not find a socket for (it may have been further behind the bed but could not find it). When trying to find a socket for the kettle and hair dryer near to the dressing table could not find one. I eventually found it behind the dressing table and had to physically move the heavy wooden furniture to access the sockets. On doing this found a large hole in the wall (about 6cm diameter) through which runs the aerial cable.
The paint work and decoration in the bedroom is desperately in need of a coat of paint and contains many chips
Breakfast – The breakfast was served in the front room with cereals, grapefruit segments, prunes and juice all being self- service. We both had the “Full Scottish” breakfast which although nice, was greatly lacking in quantity. The breakfast was served by a young foreign girl who sometimes had difficulty understanding us and making herself understood.
Our overall impression of this guest house is that it appears to be badly neglected and we would not stay there again. The sign outside the guest house shows 4 stars, what are these for and how often are the facilities checked?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeejayTyneside

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I did not stay at this B&B so my comments do not relate to the quality of the accommodation, only my reservation experience.

My advice is - do make very very sure that your confirmed reservation is really confirmed. I had a confirmed booking for an en suite room for 3 nights (September 21-24); my chain of emails included bus directions to her B&B, and my check-in time (which was going to be 9pm-ish). Then, a few days before I was to check in, I received an email from Heather saying that she won't have a room for me. Apparently, the B&B was fully booked for the month of September and she had looked at October when she confirmed my reservation.

We all make mistakes, but I find it strange that a B&B with just a few rooms would not know that it's been fully booked out for the month, especially when my initial enquiries started in September, not months ago.

I was returning to Edinburgh from the highlands the night I was to check in. Fortunately I had internet access while I was away and saw Heather's email. More fortunately, I managed to find alternative accommodation, albeit a lot more expensive. This experience did not leave me with a good impression and I won't bother with them the next time I visit Edinburgh.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fourfivesix
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed one night on business. There are only three parking spaces in front of the house, but ample free off-street parking nearby.
My room on the second floor was very clean and well presented. However, flushing the loo and running the taps was horrendously noisy. My neighbour's bathroom plumbing woke me in the early hours.
Breakfast wasn't the plentiful Scottish offering that I have come to expect in these parts. Serving supermarket own-brand cereals is fine, but still in its box made the breakfast servery look untidy. Investing in some containers would make all the difference.
Similarly, removing the baby buggy that was parked in the dining room would make the room seem less cluttered.
All in all, it was ok.

Room Tip: Not all are en-suite. Best to ensure you have your own facilities.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

Just back from Edinburgh tattoo we booked 2 rooms from booking.com heather the lady who runs the hotel was really very nice told us were to park and gave us the keys to our rooms we had a ground floor with private bathroom and 1st floor with ensuite great rooms very very clean the only fault we found was breakfast was served between 8and 9 only so if you want breakfast and had a few drinks the night before then you have to be up before 9 would of been better 8 to 10 the breakfast was a bit small for what you pay for the b&b this was our only fault and the private bathroom room is a little strange as you have to go out on the landing with a towel round you to get back in your room so beware of this try and get the ensuite room would go again but think I'd have to go for breakfast out if stayed again

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights during the Edinburgh Festival. Location-wise, it's quite convenient. Not too far to walk to restaurants and pubs and an easy bus trip to the city centre. It advertises parking but this is very limited. During our stay, we were never able to park in the spaces in front of the guest house. However, there is a quiet street round the corner where you can leave your car without paying.

Breakfast is plentiful and served in the front room. The bedroom was very comfortable but the WIFI reception was not good and we found ourselves sitting on the floor by the door trying to get a signal. I think it was OK down in the breakfast room.

Alexander Guesthouse has a certain old-fashioned feel to it but we had a perfectly comfortable stay and it's a different experience from a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We spent 2 nights at Alexander guest house during the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Walking distance to most venues. The rooms were spotless! The owner was extremely helpful, in fact my sister required medical attention during our visit and the owner drove her to the hospital and even stayed for the 1.5 hours it took for treatment. Above & beyond any guest service we have recieved before. We were extremely grateful! Thanks and we would highly reccommend this guest house.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank soon2Bsunburnt
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Within easy reach of central Edinburgh.
TV and tea/coffee in room.
Found the shared shower room off-putting with a mirrored wall.
Also found the one key given for the two front doors and the room itself a bit unusual.
Finally, I found it strange on departure when handing over the payment for our stay together with the "key", at the very least not to be asked if we enjoyed our stay, indeed, I was made to feel uncomfortable. I have stayed in numerous b&b/guest houses in Edinburgh and found this to be the least welcoming, though the facilities were adequate.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple