“My Daughter's Favourite”

Ranked #463 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Leith
Description: Wagamama ocean terminal is the perfect place to stop off after a visit to the hms britannia or shopping up a storm. We offer asian food inspired by the flavours of japan
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“My Daughter's Favourite”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wagamama is a chain we visit often, as it's my daughter's favourite.

We've been to Ocean Terminal twice and I have to say, of the one's we've visited (there have been a few!!) it's one of the better ones. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and very accommodating and, for a chain, on the whole the food is pretty decent - on both occasions they've had everything we wanted - sometimes in other restaurants food has been 'sold out' which is a tad frustrating, and tells a bit of a story, I think!

I've eaten my way through the menu so am pretty familiar with most of the dishes. The chilli squid gets a huge thumbs up, as does the white choc and ginger cheesecake - which is to die for. We tried the new ice cream balls wrapped in rice - wasn't quite what I expected and we were a little underwhelmed!

On this particular occasion, the only criticism I would make was that the service was a little rushed, though, in fairness our waiter did apologise!

All in all, a good place for a family meal.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Aberlour, United Kingdom
“Addictive Delishhhhhizness”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Food fresh and beautifully prepared and served. Hip, friendly staff. Light airy, central location. Immacculately clean. Well priced.

• Visited May 2014
scotland
“Been twice. Great for a quick fix”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The first time I went I really enjoyed the Pad Thai. The staff were great and the lunch was thoroughly enjoyable. The second time was not so good. The staff not so welcoming and I felt that they weren't that interested. The food was still pretty good although my friend's Pad Thai didn't taste as good as mine on the previous visit and the portion was visibly smaller. I had Teriyaki chicken Donburi which was enjoyable but nothing exciting. All in all, I think this place is better than all the other restaurants in Ocean Terminal and is great for a quick fix. I will give them another go and see how we fare.

• Visited June 2014
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“A good lunch enjoyed by all”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My last review of Wagamama was of the Lothian Road, Edinburgh restaurant, about a year ago. My gripe then was the lack of a 'small' lunch offering. I've been avoiding it since for that reason. However a planned get together with good friends at Ocean Terminal had me scouring their menu to see if there had been any changes to tempt me back. I spotted that they were offering a bento box (seen it and desperate to try it!) and the menu in general seemed a bit more flexible so I suggested we meet there.

Once assembled, we swithered about eating there, given the huge choice surrounding us, but decided to give it a go. It was quiet and we were seated straight away. However there was no sign of the bento box on the menu. When the waiter arrived to take our drinks' order I asked about it and he quickly returned with 2 bento menus for 4 of us. This was ok as two of us had already decided on the grilled duck ramen and teriyaki chicken donburi respectively. That left us two token gals, with a menu each, to decide whether or not the bento boxes appealed. I went for the chicken katsu bento and my friend the yasai katsu bento. Contrary to the web menu, there was no option to chose your gyoza so you just had to take what was specified. Disappointing. There was however the option to chose a fresh juice and my super green (with apple, mint, celery and lime) was delicious. My friend was also happy with her choice of carrot juice. The boys were happy to 'pig out' on diet and 'fat' coke respectively having weaned themselves off artificial drinks at home, so a bit like having a beer when you've gone tee-total.

None of us finished our meals, because portion size is still too big! Also for me I just didn't like the edamame, despite the fact I know they are a big part of my five a day. The salad and dressing were delicious, as was the chicken katsu, but I found the rice quite dry and bland so most of it went uneaten.

No room for desert, clearly, but coffees all round. I was very disappointed to find that the lattes, cappucino and amercano all came in cups not much bigger than espresso cups. Mean to say the least.

However I have to say that we all agreed that the food was good and we'd definitely return.

• Visited May 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pretty good...”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We came here for my birthday this year, just before going to see a film. It was actually pretty empty for a Friday night, so we were sat very quickly and were served quickly as well. We ordered a few different smaller dishes, including the salt and pepper squid, some gyoza and some skewered prawns. In addition to this I had a chicken salad with mandarin pieces in it. The prawns and salad were excellent and I would say that the gyoza were ok. I found the squid to be a bit over cooked and was too chewy for me. I've eaten at Wagamama a few times previously, at different locations and it is reliable food. Maybe it won't be the most amazing meal every but dependably good! Service was quick and efficient.

• Visited March 2014