“great for the price”

Yvonne's Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Yvonne's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #317 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great for the price”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

When I read others' reviews it promped me to write on myself. Yvonne is a gracious host and the B&B is located in a really great place- handy for the castle, the Scottish Book Trusts events, and other attractions. It is a humble little place and great value for the money. You'll not be able to stay anywhere near the Royal Mile for even double the price she charges. The bedroom I was in was clean and large. I did not have a toilet in my room, so I had to use the one in the hallway, which was perfectly acceptable. There was breakfast in the morning includd in the price and it was very nice. Obviously if you pay a lot more you will get all the frills and 5* accomodation, but for me it's just not worth paying tripple.
-Stephanie McGregor

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Stephanie M

manchester
Reviewed 29 August 2011

5 stays during the Fringe and we love coming back to Yvonne's. Previously stayed in a couple of other b&b's which were further out and less personal. Staying with Yvonne is like staying with a family member and that is the strength. You feel like the only guests there and nothing is too much trouble. All we want when at the festival is a clean, warm bed and a decent breakfast and you certainly get that. The location is fantastic- couldn't be more central and close to all activities. If you are looking for a romantic break and for luxury then find somewhere else. If you are looking for a warm welcome, a personal touch, an attentive host who will be the best guide over breakfast and a central location at fantastic value then this is the place. We were gutted to find out Yvonne is selling up this year. Whilst we wish Yvonne well in following her dream.........where we will stay next year?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank clarebear1975
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Yvonne is a brilliant lady who opens up her apartment in central Edinburgh to guests. The rooms have a nice decor and TV with shared bathroom facilities and her breakfasts are big and delicious. I've stayed with Yvonne twice now and both times the only thing that has let her down has been the comfort of the mattresses and for a person who loves their sleep this is an issue for me. Fortunately I have always been a single person sleeping in a double bed so could fold the duvet in half like a sleeping bag to pad out the bad bed springs. However I wouldn't recommend this B&B for anyone wanting to actually share a double bed as I doubt you will get much sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Spudwynk
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The B&B is central (if difficult to find) andYvonne is a lovely friendly lady who did her best to make us welcome. However that is where the positives end. if you are paying to stay somewhere you at the very least expect a reasonable standard of cleanliness - you don't find it at Yvonnes. The room - supposedly recently decorated was dingy with barely room to swing a cat. A double bed pushed against the far wall, a set of bunk beds and a wardrobe gave little room to get changed, let alone relax. Ageing sheets and a grubby uplighter completed the room which was souless and dark (probably to hide the stains on the mattresses). The whole flat stank of cigarettes which permeated even the clean laundry. The bathroom was stained, sickeningly grubby with mould and a grimy toilet.
Breakfast looked as if it was made up of yesterday's leftovers heated in the microwave. But after a sleepless night tossing and turning in a stale bed we weren't in the mood to eat.
Avoid unless you're desperate!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Kingfisher04

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

aberdeen
Reviewed 26 March 2010

stayed at yvonnes few times feb/march will be staying there for my future trips. good value for money , well placed and very friendly , clean and comfortable

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Missouri
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Looking at Yvonne's reviews, it is obvious that different people look at things through different lenses. I think all of the reviews on this site are valuable. Even though all of the reviews are talking about the same place, they come to widely different conclusions based on each individual's perspectives. We thought Yvonne's flat turned into a small B&B was great and more than clean and roomy enough for our tastes - even though my wife is something of a neat freak. We stayed at many first-class hotels during our trip, but Yvonne's was our favorite place to stay. This is mostly because we loved Yvonne herself and the way she did everything to be helpful, as well as her superior location near everything worth seeing. Also the bedrooms were more than adequate and the breakfasts were great. The main bathroom does show some age and stained caulk and certainly is not up to normal hotel quality, but it was otherwise excellent. You do share the bathroom with guests (rarely with any of her family), but there is also a half bath for emergencies. Quite adequate when there are only four or five guest rooms plus Yvonne's bedroom. Yvonne does smoke and there is a hint of smoke in the air, but though I am (I previously thought) the worst kind of intolerant reformed smoker who tells everyone who smokes that they need to quit, I did not find that the trace cigarette smell rose anywhere close to the level of a second-hand smoke health problem. (I do have real concern for Yvonne's health.) Yvonne only smokes in her living room, not in the hall, kitchen or guest rooms. Though I found this to be the closest thing to a negative issue for me, it was not close to being a disqualifying issue as it was for some of the negative reviewers. But, again others will look at this smoking issue and other issues at Yvonne's differently than I and other big Yvonne's fans do.

In sum, those who are very exacting about where they stay or need 4 or 5 star hotel-like accomdations or need their own parking spot or their own bath should look elsewhere. But note, even the negative reviewers liked Yvonne herself and her unbelievably superior location. If you look at most maps of Edinburgh, Yvonnes is located next to the "h." Finally, note that many of the positive reviewers are repeat guests of Yvonne's. That should tell you something. We will certainly never stay anywhere else when we are visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Morecambe UK
Reviewed 21 December 2009

We Arrived at yvonnes to find that the customer parking was for permit holders only, but was told by yvonne that it would be ok to leave it in the car park, please note you do this at your own risk! if you do get a ticket you will find yourself with a £60 fine and a clamp on your drivers side wheel. We walked into the B&B and the first thing that hits you is the smell of smoke. Yvonne is a very nice lady and we were given a hot cup of tea & coffee on arrival. Yvonne then showed us to our room, she made a point of telling us that she had put us in the coldest room in the house! this sent alarm bells ringing, as me and my partner had a 3 month old baby with us. We did get a heater as back up but. When we got into our room we had a look around, the room was small and looked ok from the start but we found somthing not right, we pulled back the covers on the bed and found that the bottom sheet was covered in hair of all kinds. We asked yvonne to change the sheets when we poped out later, but was given sheets to change them for ourselves. This put us off again, we are the customer not the chamber staff.... I then was told that we had to share a bathroom and toilet with the rest of the rooms, please note the yvonnes family also use this facility! it was very dirty, the sink was covered in razor hair and dust on the mirror. The toilet seat was not clean and the bath tub had scum & mould all round it. This put us off as we had to use this to wash ourselves and the baby.
The bed matress was cheap and dirty, bits of fluff and dirt on it. When we had to change the covers the bedding was old and covered in staines and what looked like blood. We went out for dinner and on our return we told yvonne that we would not be staying the night, we just could not stay in this place. We found a good travel lodge just around the corner for just a few £ more with a full breakfast. If your looking for a cheap and dirty place to stay then yvonne's is the place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family