“Delivers what it promises: reasonably priced, friendly service”
Review of Arden Guest House

Arden Guest House
Ranked #220 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This B&B is clean, with very friendly service. The room was OK and the beds were good, but the bathroom was not on the Quite a bit from the city center, but on a bus route (takes about 20 mins to get to the center). The road in front is relatively busy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Arden. The rooms are well furnished, spacious, well maintained with good housekeeping. It is situated in a very quiet locality closer to the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh. Well connected by bus services. Breakfasts are good with friendly staff around. Tea,coffee making facilities and cookies are an added benefit. Would stay here again if visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ASJ2011
Reviewed 11 September 2012

When my brother and his wife decided on a last minute visit from the States, I had to bring them to Edinburgh. We were traveling with my dog, Bella, and had to find a dog friendly place to stay during a Thursday in August. Hard thing to do during the fringe and Tattoo. But we were lucky to find the Arden Guest House with just Thurs night available.
We arrived a little earlier than check-in time but were able to check-in with no problem. The nice lady showed us to our rooms and went over breakfast and gave us some info on the buses to take into the city (bus 33 or 49). The bus stop is a 2 min walk from the door of the guesthouse. She stated we had the smallest and the largest rooms. I was in room 1 (twin bed room) right by the entrance. And the others were on the floor above in a family room. Both rooms were fresh looking and well decorated. Didn't get the name of the lady who showed us to our rooms. But she was really friendly and told us about things to do in the area and about how it is still called Little France.
Leaving Bella in her kennel in my room, we took the bus into the city for the night to enjoy the Fringe and took a taxi back for £7.50, not too bad.
You order your breakfast the night before from little papers put in the room that you leave in the breakfast room. Breakfast was average. Not the best but not the worst. Had a lovely conversation with an older couple from Devon during breakfast. Told us all about their children and grandchildren. After breakfast we packed up the rooms and car and checked out. We asked if it would be okay if we parked the car in their parking lot until around 1 and they said it was fine.
So my brother and his wife took the bus back into the city to enjoy Edinburgh Castle, while me and Bella went to Craigmillar Castle located by a walk in the wooded area across the street from Arden House (since I had already been to Edinburgh Castle). Did not even know about it until the lady told us about it at check-in. Nice castle ruin and dogs are allowed throughout. After the castle Bella and I got on the 49 bus to take into the city (Bella was not charged a fare).
I would def stay here again, the only con I have from my 1 night stay is that the twin bed could use a new mattress. The springs I could feel. However, it was not bad enough that I moved to the other twin bed in the room.
My husband still hasn't made it up to Edinburgh yet, so I see a 3rd visit in the future for me. Great city with tons of history.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Budget accommodation in Edinburgh during the Festival is very difficult to find and this guesthouse is to be commended for its very reasonable prices, plus the generous allowances of tea, coffee, milk, cookies and even bottled water, as well as comfortable beds, free toiletries, the daily provision of good quality towels and free wifi. The breakfast is also generous, cooked to order and delicious. The young staff are courteous and conscientious. Altogether it would have been great had it not been that the noise of the traffic ( if in a front room) was intolerable with the windows open and the room unbearably hot with the windows closed. Also our shower was hopeless owing to low water pressure. But even with those negatives I thought it was great value. However, next time I will ask for a room at the back and a decent shower.

Room Tip: Best to ask for a room at the rear of the house
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kimscotland
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Booked online and arrived with paperwork stating our arrival date. The lady dealing with me on arrival had made a mistake and booked us in for the following night instead. She made a phone call and got us a room elsewhere which was horrible and in a very grotty area. Well run accommodation should not make mistakes like this.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank dibayliss
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at the Arden guest House in June 2012. We received a warm welcome. Received useful information about dining locations and bus connections. The room was, as to be expected for Edinburgh, a bit small. The room was clean. The en suite bathroom could use a paint job and needs cleaning. Towels and bed linnen were clean. Good selection of DVDs available.
Breakfast was average, but plenty. The porridge one can better forget about, croissants were not the freshest we ever had. Breakfast is served in a conservatory which was (due to the two rays of sun) overheated to such an extend that we left the table early.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed at the Arden Guest House recently while visiting Edinburgh, from arriving staff were very helpful and friendly, we were shown to our ensuite room which was very clean and had plenty of tea/coffee making supplies. Breakfast was served in the conservatory over looking the garden, very enjoyable breakfast with lots of choice. Lovely place to stay .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple