“A Bad Miscommunication”

Ranked #184 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Frederick
“A Bad Miscommunication”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked here after reading good reviews and seeing that it was in the area but outside the city of Edinburgh. I wanted a country, relaxed feel for our short time here, two nights and needed rest. by the time we got into the train station, the central hub of the city, I had to flag down a constable, who was a lovely man who listened to me and let me use his phone to call the attendant at the hotel and let her know that we were coming (it was already late) but that we'd only be able to stay for one night instead of two due to travel changes we had to make because of airlines running late. Anyway, she told me that that was fine, thanks for calling and come ahead. I had to find out what bus would take us there and get pointed to the right bus stop. It happened to be a major weekens with a huge rugby match which of course we didn't know about, and there were French and Italians all over the place, drinking, occupying the restaurants, and clogging the buses and trains in groups, so this made getting around even more confusing. We did get to the property and lugged all of our heavy cases and bags to the guest house door. I had trouble getting the woman that I had just talked to a half hour ago to open the narrow door and let us in. This place is like a bed and breakfast in someone's home. Anyway, after coming all that way she quietly told me that she talked to the owner and that since we didn't cancel the booking 48 hours in advance (I was in the air then), that "the cancellation policy would have to apply." In other words, we weren't allowed to stay just one night. So, the deal was to stay the remainder of that night and pay for two, or find another place. Nice. Back onto the next bus we went, back to the train station, close to midnight, to try to find accommodations for less than $100 (150 Euros plus city taxes and surcharges). That lovely constable that I mentioned before used his web phone and looked up every possible vacancy for me and when I told him what I'd like, he called the hotel for me, a Holiday Inn not far, who would accommodate us for 99 Euros. That night it was a bargain. That man was so nice to me that night, I want to thank him again for counteracting the awful communication that we encountered with the woman at Arden Guest House. Doing that to anyone who is lost and in a different country on a heavy weekend, that late at night, is unaccpetable and I hope that other visitors will read this.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank travelkitty50
Arden_Management, Owner at Arden Guest House, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
We're very sorry to hear that your travel plans changed at the last minute and that you found Edinburgh to be very busy on the rugby weekend. We are particularly sorry though that after cancelling on us 1 hour before your late check in, and abusing our staff you thought that giving us a one star rating was appropriate. Our cancellation policy is standard to all hotels and guesthouses in Edinburgh. Our thanks to your partner though who attempted to make good the situation by apologising for your abusive behaviour, explaining that you had "been like that all day".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Arrived late but directed by the host as unsure which way to take the bus. Our host sorted us out with breakfast menu and our room. Nice and cosy room tea and coffee available. Good breakfast and only real complaint was lack of pressure in shower when turned up. Just a little too far from central Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had an unscheduled stop in Edinburgh and stayed at the Arden guest house we were welcomed despite the late check in The bedrooms and bathrooms are small but clean and comfortable. The young man in charge made us feel very welcome and was very supportive when we were un sure of our plans.(our mother had been admitted to hospital) they kept our room and luggage until we knew what was happening. Also the breakfast was excellent superb poached eggs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pam843
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This accommodation was warm and welcoming, free from the noise typical in the city centre, but easily accessible via frequent buses just outside. The staff was kind and more than willing to help with questions, such as dining recommendations. The breakfast provided was likewise good. Bathrooms were slightly tight but not bothersome. Room was kept temperate and beds were comfortable. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Prithvi P
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at the Arden Guest House while visiting the Royal Infirmary for a short internship. Fantastic service, lovely breakfast, very warm welcome, I would definitely recommend this B&B and come back myself!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank Anique2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this on the recommendation of a colleague. However, they meant the place next door!! This guest house, in summary was cold, unwelcoming, not very secure ( my window didn't close properly and was a downstairs room). I Booked a double room and I was put in a room with twin beds. I asked for a double and was told they were full. There was a vacancies sign in the window, and I saw one other guest in the b&b.
Breakfast was ok, but nothing special. I had to ask for milk to go with tea, and butter for the toast never arrived.
There was also rubbish left in my room from a previous guest, the heavy blankets (no duvet) on the bed didn't smell great, and no wifi.
Nobody asked if everything was ok when I checked out.
In all a pretty depressing place. I will certainly be staying at the really nice place next door in future.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank LVR13
Arden_Management, Owner at Arden Guest House, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
We understand that your expectations were not met since you thought you had booked yourself into the 4 star hotel next door, when in fact you had booked yourself into our 3 star bed and breakfast in error. Obviously a 4 star hotel provides a different experience (and price tag!) to our more affordable, value for money option. We have spoke to our on duty manager and it appears your booking was for a single room but you were put into a twin. You did ask to have a double when you arrived but unfortunately we were fully booked apart from one other twin (thus the vacancies sign still being on). Whilst we are sympathetic and always try and acommodate our guests where possible we feel providing a twin room for a single person booking (charged at a single rate) to be satisfactory. Our central heating is on a timer as most of our guests are out during the day. We do however have a supply of spare oil heaters which are passed out freely to any guest asking for heating during the day. Our central heating is timed to come on late afternoon and we have alot of guests commenting that they in fact find it too hot. Unfortunately you did not speak to any of our staff to give us a chance to rectify the situation. Our wifi is fully operational and the window in your room appeared to be in full working order when we checked it after your review. Thus we can unfortunately offer no further comment on these issues. Had you brought your queries to a staff member we would have been happy to show you how the window operated and how to log onto our wifi. Re breakfast and your room not being properly cleaned we would like to offer a sincere apology and say that we had a new housekeeper on that day who has only just completed her training. We will be addressing the issues you raised with her to ensure they do not happen again. Whilst we are grateful to you for bringing them to our attention we are disappointed that you did not bring them to the attention of anybody during your stay. The missing milk and butter could have been rectified very easily.
We get alot of compliments on our friendly staff (and our breakfasts) by our guests. Many of whom are repeat guests. Whilst we are genuinely disappointed that your stay was "really bad" we trust that the higher grade hotel next door (who books with us when they are full) is able to meet your high expectations.
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Whilst there was a very good breakfast the rooms are small and poorly decorated. This guest house is in desperate need of updating and staff are not always available. Paid £65 per room which frankly was not good value even though the cost is low compared to typical Edinburgh hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Kevin S
Arden_Management, Manager at Arden Guest House, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Kevin S
We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet with your approval.
Firstly we are glad you enjoyed your breakfast. In fact if you look back through our reviews we are complimented time and time again on our breakfast and our friendly staff.
We do acknowledge that some of our rooms are due for redecorating. This is simply due to the usual wear and tear after a very busy spring/summer/autumn. Unfortunately winter is the only time we can gain access to our rooms to redecorate them and we are in the process of doing this now.
I do want to point out to you that Arden is a guest house, not a hotel and as such does not provide 24 hour reception. However if you had spoke to management at breakfast or at your check-in we would have had no hesitation to move you to a room you were 100% happy with. With regard to value for money, may I point out that you booked a double room for 2 persons and paid the rate of £65 per night. Arden does in fact offer rooms for single occupancy for £45 per night in the winter including breakfast. We believe this is a good rate for the standard of service/accomodation we provide.