“Nice pub......shame about the staff!”
Review of Guildford Arms

Guildford Arms
Ranked #30 of 213 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We've been in here a few times now, because it is handy for the bus station. It is nice inside, the beer is average, had better elsewhere, but the staff have all failed "charm school"! The first we visited one female behind the bar was attentive enough, but unfriendly to say the least.
The bar was kept clean and the tables were cleared quickly after customers left, the overall atmosphere I felt was good......however, this was down to the other customers being friendly and NOT the staff. Personally, I would sack them all and employ staff who were genuinely interested in serving customers and being pleasant at the same time!
Judging by the other reviews on here, a complete overhaul in staff might make some other customers return in the future.........
I cannot comment on the Gallery Restaurant, as we only had a couple of drinks in the bar. However, having read the comments on the food and rude staff upstairs, I have no intention of every eating here.

2  Thank 186514MargaretM75
There are newer reviews for Guildford Arms

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Lots of locals in this bar, great to see. This bar, right next to the equally great Cafe Royal, is off Princes Street. A brilliant selection of local ales and international beers. A must for ale fans.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had my birthday lunch in this pub today. I was so let down by the food. cheap frozen chips with a sorry dried up looking fish. ruined our day out. would not recommend anyone to eat here.

2  Thank 879Elizabeth
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was in edinbrugh with my husband for our wedding anniversary thought we would try the gallery restruant inside the Guildford bar it sits on a mezzezine and looks really nice. On entering the waitress was sitting reading a book, she ask if we would like a drink ordered a bottle of wine, when it was brought out the ice bucket was filthy ,I managed to get the attention of waitress to ask if she could change it not even a sorry ,anyway a male staff member came out with the ice bucket sayin to waitress this is how it's cleaned they were both laughing made us feel really uncomfortable. In between reading her book waitress took food order it was terrible muscles so bland and husband ordered mushroom en-croute it looked like a gregs pasty which would have tasted better love gregs, and at 16 pounds wasn't cheap ,after we asked if we could take our drink down to bar ,whilst sitting in pub out came the chef staring down at us then the staff member and waitress looking down at us felt really uncomfortable would have had a word with manager but the person who we thought was the manager was too busy texting on his phone so didn't feel it would be a good idea to disturb him just drank up and left. To think we were going to have our anniversary meal at tiger lily but thought we would try this place it spoilt our night as I say never again.

6  Thank caccyb
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Would definitely recommend swinging by here if you're out and about in Edinburgh. Great old place with interesting decor and a good selection of drinks.