All reviews city centre guest lounge porridge sea view friendly hosts a short bus ride yogurt trip to scotland we loved our stay ensuite bathroom great place to stay bed and breakfast quiet area b and b perfect location room was large breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 29 June 2013

There really isn't too much more to be said about Straven Guest House, but having just spent 4 excellent nights there, I have to confirm the positive comments others have posted. The location is a definite positive for those looking for something other than simply the Edinburgh old town. While easy enough to reach via a hand bus line, the hustle and bustle of the city are far enough away that you have a genuinely quiet and peaceful place to rest when not in site seeing mode. This made for quiet, calm nights with restful sleep. Of course, the big, comfortable room made that possible as well. Mac and Mirian are wonderful hosts, sharing a lot of necessary information with us and giving us all we needed to tackle the city (including breaking my bills into change for the bus). On top of that, they are simply nice, friendly folks who want you to be comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and had a nice variety. Mac was even nice enough to supply us with pastries on the day we needed to leave for a tour prior to the breakfast service. I can't say enough about Straven or its hosts. If staying for more than a day or two, it is the way to go.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I picked Straven Guest House because of the Trip Advisor reviews, and I must say that I was not disappointed. Because of their excellent hospitality, Mac and Marian truly know how to make travelers feel at home. The breakfast is excellent with a vast selection of food, and their knowledge of the area is unmatched. In addition to recommending places to visit that met our traveling plans (I was traveling with my adult daughter), they gave us excellent directions on how to take the convenient bus in and out of Edinburgh. The location of Straven Guest House is excellent, and its advantages include easy access to the buses, being hardly a block from the beach, located in a quiet neighborhood, and having plenty of street parking for the car. I would definitely stay at Straven Guest House should I ever return to Edinburgh, and will recommend it to everyone I know that visits.

1  Thank Jim H
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Located in the quiet Edinburgh suburb of Portobello, this B&B is an excellent choice for touring the historical sites of Edinburgh. As a bonus, it is also a very short walk from a popular beach promenade. Our large and comfortable sea-view room ticked all of the boxes including a modern bathroom. Marian recommended local restaurants and gave us a primer on how to take the frequent local city buses into Edinburgh, a mere 20 minute journey. There is ample parking on the street out front. The full Scottish breakfasts were superb – thanks Mac and Marian! BTW, we really liked the Beaten Docket pub on the High Street –great food, friendly atmosphere and good value. The Estey on the Promenade is also a popular choice.

Room tip: We had a triple - Room 3 [no pun intended] - a very nice view of the water.
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My mother and I picked this B&B for its great reviews, and we were not let down!

Mac and Marian are a lovely, amiable couple who have been running their B&B for 18 years. Breakfast is a bit on the early side (between 8-9am), but that just makes sure you are up to see all the amazing sights Edinburgh has to offer! The cooking is good, comforting, and solid. Nothing fancy, but Mac was there the whole time making sure we had more tea if we wanted it, or anything else. One morning we had to leave early, and when Marian heard, she insisted that she cook us breakfast at 7:30. She wouldn't let us leave hungry!

We were in #2 which was on the second floor, looking out over a lovely back garden. With the window open we could hear the ocean (only half a block away, wonderful promenade on which to walk!) and morning doves. Very quiet otherwise. Great, modern bathroom. Tea service in the room was much appreciated and always replenished.

Just be aware that this is quite a hike from the city center. We took the bus into town most days (Lothian bus #26), which runs every day frequently, costs 1.50 pounds per trip, and takes 30+ minutes to get into the city center, depending on traffic. A cab will cost you roughly 11 pounds. There isn't a ton to do in Portobello, because it's so suburban, but there are a couple of nice cafes on the Promenade and on Portobello Road.

The only cons: Pillows on the hard side (bring your own if you must have a soft one), wifi was a bit temperamental.

Overall: HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
macmccool, Owner at Straven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

What a lovely review!! Thank you both. Oh what a shame about the pillows! We find that people split into two camps here, some insisting firm is best and others (and I agree with you on this one!) preferring somewhere nice and soft to lay the head. We try to put out a mix of both in each room but when there is a group staying then they can often get swapped around! If you had just thought to say to me at the time we have a whole stock available ranging from firm to soft. Yes we have an old Victorian house and Room 2 is furthest from our WiFi signal so we provide a booster which I recall was intermittently playing up then. We have since replaced it so it works just fine and dandy now.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Marian and Mac are very nice hosts. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. The breakfast is very very good. Could not be better. The location near the North Sea promenade is beautiful and very well suited for walking. The city center is easily reached by bus. For us, the Straven Guest House is the best B & B in Edinburgh.

Greetings from Germany.