“Warm welcome!”

Straven Guest House
Ranked #22 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip to Edinburgh and it won't be the last! Mac and Marion were the most friendliest and welcoming hosts that I've ever encountered whilst staying in B&B's.
The location was perfect near the seafront and only a short bus ride to Edinburgh city centre.
We stayed in Room 1, which is at the front of the house. It was spacious, clean and had a good size en suite shower/ toilet area.

I had indicated that we were both vegetarian and this was accommodated. The food was delicious.

I would highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Wow, what a great place. We had booked another B&B in the area, but could never get in contact with the innkeepers. The first call to Mac settled everything, his personality, hospitality and accommodations settled that Straven Guest House was where we would stay. Everything was first class and Mac and Marian's advice on getting around Edinburgh were greatly appreciated. Mac had actually arranged for a private car hire to pick us up at the airport, which worked like clockwork. It was so nice after traveling and walking about Edinburgh, to simply stroll to town or the seaside promenade for a bit to eat and drink.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I've stayed at Straven Guest House on a number occasions, on my own, with my wife and with friends each time to hospitality has been second to none. Mac and Marian are two of the kindest, friendliest people you'll ever meet.

I have ran the Edinburgh marathon several times and find the location great to get back to from the finish. My wife and I stayed here during the Edinburgh Festival the bus route in is quick (about 10 mins) and regular, there is also a bus stop just at the end of the road. Did i mention they are on the seafront? Not many people outside of Edinburgh will be too familiar with the beach but on a warm day, early morning or evening a walk along the beach is a perfect way to start or end your day. I love the contrast of being able to dip into the wonderful City and back out to peaceful surroundings.

The breakfast is fantastic and if you fancy you can have a starter followed by full Scottish breakfast. Endless refills of coffee and enough toast to keep you going whilst exploring everything Edinburgh has to offer.

I have recommended Straven Guest House to everyone.

Great service. Great people. Great place. 10 out of 10!!!!

Mark

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

THANK YOU MAC & MARIAN - what a team! We have been to many B&Bs and by far Mac & Marian are at the top - best value, first class service, fresh homemade gourmet food, happy and hospitable hosts, charming home - walking distance to the sea. We were so lucky to find The Straven Guest House and found after travelling throughout Scotland for 2 weeks - they were top in our mind in all categories! I highly recommend to stay at this B&B, as it is very close to the bus lines (only 3.50 pounds) for a full day pass to tour Edinburgh, the neighborhood is charming, only about 30 minutes to the International Airport, but most of all - great homemade food, a very warm & charming husband and wife team whom welcomed us after a very long flight from NYC. Our experience was excellent!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Going back to visit Portobello was a trip down memory lane.The Straven Guest House was an excellant choice of accommodation.Mac and Marian w
ere so warm ,friendly and helpful. The breakfast choices were amazing and the room was a joy to return to after a busy day.The location was ideal for the beach and transport into the city centre.I reviewed a number of Guest houses prior to booking and we were delighted with our final choice and would not hesitate in recommending this lovely quiet and peaceful Guest House.N&P Greenock.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

What a great find! Great location, charming and hospitable. Mac and Marian were helpful and put on a fine breakfast for hungry travelers. I'm still trying to acquire a taste for Black Pudding. The breakfast selections were very diverse - everyone has options. My husband's regret is that he didn't walk down to the Firth of Forth to put his toes in the water. Walking the promenade after dinner and returning to the comfort of Straven Guest House made for a nice evening.

Room Tip: We had room 2. It was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lou Ellen C
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Can't say enough about the rooms, the quality breakfast, and the hospitality of Mac & Marian. Visiting Scotland for the first time, my friend and I looked for a comfortable accommodation that would add to the experience. After reading all of the positive Trip Advisor reviews on Straven Guest House, we were ecstatic to find that they had last minute vacancy for us.

We enjoyed our stay to the fullest and appreciated Mac's personalized tips on where to go and what to do (because let's face it, not matter how many Lonely Planet books you read, you're still looking for the best hidden spots that require a locals knowledge).

**One bit of information that was out of the hands of Mac and Marion.. If paying by Credit Card - and foreign transaction fees apply - check the daily exchange rate prior to paying. The credit terminal company they use determines the conversion rate and was surprisingly high. No matter where I checked the internet for previously listed conversions, I could not find the high rate at which they charged my card resulting in my total for the stay to be about 18 Euro more than expected. Not a LOT but good to know.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends