“All around great experience”

Straven Guest House
Ranked #28 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Indianapolis, IN
“All around great experience”
Reviewed 12 July 2009

A B&B that has a great location and great hosts that are very knowledgeable about things to do and how to get around. It's just off the bus line that gives you easy access to center city. It's just a block to the beach that has some good places to eat just up the beach. It's also on the edge of town that makes it easy to drive out into the surrounding countryside. The breakfast they serve makes a great start to the day.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed here for one night on our honeymoon trip. IT WAS MAGNIFICENT! The people who run the place are so nice (we checked in late because the trip we were on got back late,) and they didnt care. The room was beautiful, and breakfast was so so good. They were so kind to us and the bed was so soft and the sheets were as well. The bathroom was brand new and very clean. I cant wait to go back to here.

Our room had a view of the sea- what more can you ask for? If you are trying to figure out where to stay in Edinburgh I would highly recommend staying here.

sungirlsea
Reviewed 27 June 2009

A beautiful and charming guest house in fantastic location with warm and friendly welcome by Mac & Marian.
The food was great and the room was big with an amazing view.
It was so good that when we had to go on with our trip, it was a pity.

East Amherst, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Great location, 2 minutes walk from a beach promenade for romantic evening strolls. Right around the corner is the bus which takes you straight to the city center (and believe me you don't want to drive yourself in to the center, massive amounts of constructions going on). Breakfast is delicious, especially the Belgian waffles. Mac is super nice, I highly recommend Straven. We were in room 8 which had a huge bed, super shower with tons of hot water.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We drove out of our way to stay at the Straven after spending 1 night there 7 years ago. Mac & Marian have been providing guests a wonderful experience for many years and we found that the Straven was even more delightful than our last visit. The beautiful home sits on a quiet street in the Portobello section of town just steps away from the bay and promenade ( extraordinary for late night beach walks). Mac recommended the Espy restaurant and we found his suggestion to be perfect. Our rooms were bright and clean and even had flat screen televisions. Breakfast is a delight with many offerings other than the traditional eggs and bacon. I loved my selection of imported cheeses and sliced meats. The Straven provides a sanctuary away from the crowded and noisy areas of downtown Edinburgh. I will gladly take a bus to downtown and enjoy the Straven guest house the next time we are in town.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
barcelona spain
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Mac & Marion are great host. The house is charming & clean. The rooms are spacious, our room had a view out the window of the Portobello beach & promenade. We felt like we are at home, but yet being waited on like you were on holiday. Mac & Marion were helpful with any information you needed. Breakfast was very good, with so much to choose from it was hard to decide. You are free to come and go as you please. The bus stop is right on the corner with frequent service. The ride is 10-15 minutes to the center of Edinburgh. My daughter & I will remember our visit to Edinburgh for the hospitality we felt from our host and the city. We look forward to a return another day.

• Stayed May 2009
Stamford
Reviewed 8 June 2009

This was my first time staying at the Straven Guest House. From the moment I walked through the door after a stressful journey up I knew I was going to have a good stay. Mac and Marian are possibly the nicest people you could meet. Nothing seems too much trouble for them. The room was clean, spacious and just what I needed after a 5 hour journey. I chose the location due to the fact I was running the Edinburgh marathon, as they are not too far from the finish in Musselburgh. Portabella is a calm enjoyable area to stay and as the weather was fantastic I was able to enjoy the beach, which is 100 metres away from the Straven's doorstep.

I've had some breakfasts in my time at guest houses, however nothing that tops Mac and Marians the food was fab and the ever cheerful Mac insists on giving you endless cups of tea and toast :)

A wonderful place to visit and a fantastic place to stay

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo