“Fun party place, beautiful hotel. Kind of pricey”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #75 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Seattle, Washington
“Fun party place, beautiful hotel. Kind of pricey”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Le Monde for only one night, just before Hogmanay. Let me first say that the staff here are truly special. They were so helpful and accommodating. (Lost bags, straggler friends, etc.) And it wasn't just one or two people. Every person we encountered was really exceptional. The decor is fantastic and I loved how each area was decorated differently to give you a different vibe. Our room was really nice too although we didn't get to spend much time there. (Which was sad because there was a soaking tub that didn't get used!) We ended up going to the Hogmanay Dinner at Le Monde which was kind of wasted on us because we really just wanted to be at the Street Party. (It's what we had traveled 1/2 way across the globe for.) We were unable to finish our meal because we ran out of time. It was a beautiful night out though especially for couples. I would definitely go back to Le Monde!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Scotland
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I booked the New York suite for my mum and I because we had to cancel a trip to actual New York at the last minute. My mum was delighted by the surprise and the room and hotel definitely lived up to our expectations. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. The suite was absolutely huge and luxurious. I can't wait to visit again and try some of the other rooms. Los Angeles is top of my list!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I booked the Cairo suite here a couple of weeks ago after I couldn't get in for a second night at Nira Caledonia down in Stockbridge. I was unsure whether to book here or the Caledonian on Princes Street but swayed by the really nice service I'd had from the receptionist I'd been speaking to via email about the reservation.

Overall a very good stay. Room cleanliness was perfect and ready bang on checkin time. Lady on reception was very nice and came to collect me from the bar when my room was ready. Anybody familiar with Edinburgh will know you can't get a more central location than this.

My room was very comfortable with everything I needed. Not really a negative for me as I liked the room anyway, but for a themed hotel, the Cairo room wasn't very Cairo-y and I don't know how much of a factor that may be in some people booking looking for that sort of themed experience. Some of the rooms on their website seem to have a very distinct theme, others seem slightly more generic though still comfy in style. The more important aspects to me; fantastic shower, a bath that was large enough I was joking it was like having a small paddling pool, nice big TV/DVD in the seating area with a second one over the bed, comfortable bed and a well stocked mini bar. - Small details, I think there may have been some scrapes on the floor in the tiled area and a cushion on the side of the sofa corner unit missing, but it didn't adversely affect the stay.

I'd been on a date that evening and the staff at the bar downstairs were great arranging for a bottle of Prosecco being sat on the coffee table in my room just before we went upstairs. They'd even kindly given me some little jugs of fruit purees which allowed me to make up some bellinis in the room late on in the evening.

Didn't try the breakfast so I'm unable to comment. However, I realised after I'd left that my phone had gone wrong during the night and the clock was running over an hour behind. I assume I must have run well over the checkout time because of that, but the staff never mentioned anything which I'd taken as a very nice free late checkout.

Overall, if you are looking for a 'city break' chic style hotel, I'd say this is a really good option with nice staff, some of the best bars in town on site and comfortable, well equipped rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My friend and I stayed at Le Monde hotel. It was glorious. We were in the Icelandic room.
The interior design is very impressive, the staff are helpful and best of all it's an A1 location right next to all the action. There is also a great restaurant and bar as part of the hotel
Given the design and overall theme of the hotel my own suggestion would be a more apt key chain than a tacky disco ball. A mini globe perhaps!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a choice of city to pick from as each is designed accordingly!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you so much for giving such a glowing review of your experience here at Le Monde. Reykjavik is a great room and you are right we are located right in the centre of the Edinburgh buzz. We are glad to hear that our staff looked after you so well; we always strive to make our guests feel welcome and do everything we can to better their stay.
Thank you for your idea about our key chains; we love it and the globe will be something that we are going to use in the future. Hopefully you will be back soon to see your idea in place!

Best wishes,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed at the Le Monde on Sat 28th December. When we arrived we were greeted to 2 glasses of complimentary champagne and a free upgrade to the Dublin suite! It didnt have the best of views but it was fine for a one night stay!
Have seen some comments about the staff being unfriendly but for us the staff also couldnt be more helpful.
Although Le Monde has bars and restaurants in the hotel we didnt visit these so couldnt really comment about them but we were very happy with our Dublin suite and will definately be booking again and hopefully we will stay in a different city in the world!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Craig,

Great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Our champagne check-ins on Fridays and Saturdays are a great way to kick-start your weekend!
We pride ourselves in having a dedicated reception team who will always do their best to look after all of our customers and we are so glad to hear that was reflected in your experience.
Remember when you come and stay with us again to let us know that you have experienced Dublin so that we can allocate you another of our destination rooms!

All the best

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Le Monde on Sat Dec 21st. A night away before the christmas madness. We stayed in a lovely room (Sydney) no view but not a problem for one night. Unfortunately there was a lot of noise from the bar under our room but we put this down to Christmas party night! Our room was clean and had everything we needed. Thanks to the great staff who booked us a table at Rhubarb, we had the best meal we have had in a long time in a beautiful building 10min up the road. We will be visiting Le Monde and Rhubarb again in the new yr.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about your stay with us here at Le Monde! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our restaurant recommendations were to your taste.
As you mentioned the hotel can experience some noise with us being right in the centre of such a vibrant capital but we do our best to allocate rooms on the third wherever possible. When you return you will need to try out another of our fantastic suites.

We are looking forward to welcoming you both back to Le Monde already!

Kind Regards,

GLASGOW
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed at Le Monde on Saturday we arrived and were greeted by two glasses of champagne .
We got up graded to the most amazing room Atlantis,
The bars in the hotel are fantastic with different themes, we also eat in the hotel and the food and service was second to none.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone without an hesitation.

We will defiantly be going back

• Stayed December 2013
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Hi Gary,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review! We are always delighted when we are able to upgrade our guests and I am pleased that you enjoyed Atlantis!

Look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Kind regards,