“Expected the world, didn't get close!!”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #80 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Expected the world, didn't get close!!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Visited the hotel for a one night overnight stay, booked in for dinner bed and breakfast staying in Atlantis at the cost of £265 (not a cheap night out). We arrived and were greeted by 2 very nice receptionists with complimentary champagne (a very nice touch).

1) When we went up to the room I went in to the bathroom to freshen up, on turning the taps above the sink on the wall they both fell off in my hand!!
2) On both the soap dispenser and the hand lotion bottles the pump did not work, I had to unscrew and pour into my hands!!!!!
3) Fish tank in room cloudy and dirty looking.
4) We fancied a cup of tea before heading out for a walk, kettle broke, had to call reception to get another sent up!!!!
5) After our walk went to the bar for a pre dinner drink, I was given a dirty wine glass that I sent back!!!!
6) My partner had booked for dinner in advance, this information clearly had not filtered from reception to the restaurant as it was obvious that there was no booking for us.
7) Menu!! If you fancy pub grub at your local Brewers Fayre you are in for a treat. Choices include Bangers & Mash, Beer Battered Fish & Chips, Steak Pie. I had Macaroni Cheese and my partner had a Burger. Hardly a menu for a (and I quote from their website) luxury boutique hotel!!!
8) We retired to the room later to discover that our, another quote (comfortable king size bed) was in fact 2 single beds shoved together with king size bedding on it!!!!
9) In the morning I ordered the Eggs Florentine for breakfast to be given hard poached eggs with an overpowering taste of vinegar.
10) When my partner finally managed to get hold of the Manager (3 days later!!) he was told that she apologised that we had not enjoyed our stay and if we ever chose to stay again she would give us some sort of discount, not very likely!!!!

Room Tip: Be aware if booking Atlantis that it looks bigger on the website than it really is, gotta love wide...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GillyIH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed 31 March 2014

First stay at Le Monde. Absolutely fantastic experience - the food, drink and staff were excellent. The hotel and restaurant's relaxed atmosphere was just what we needed. The New York Suite was spacious, comfortable and just ooooozed class! Can't wait to book again x

• Stayed March 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here a couple of years ago and it was a different experience altogether. The room this time was not entirely clean and space was limited (Barcelona Room). The bed and linen were very comfortable but overall the facilities have been trimmed too far.
We made the (bad) decision to eat there at night - a nightmare - just don't! To finish on a plus - the reception staff were both very welcoming and friendly throughout.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was impressed with the room. It was clean and had all the facilities you would expect.

The bar was lively and adequetly staffed. Restaurant need to brush up on their menu as I had to go out to dine.

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for 2 nights to celebrate our third wedding anniversary.

It is a really lovely hotel and we were staying in the Barcelona room. I wasn't a fan of the floral wallpaper it looked a bit cheap to me but the huge funky mirror on the wall luckily covered a lot of it!! The room was probably smaller than I expected but it didn't really bother me. The bathroom was lovely, the shower was really powerful and the bath was big. Decorated beautifully too!

Unfortunately on the Friday night I heard the sound of a load of glass being poured into a bin at least four times because the room is right near a club, which for the price of the room I certainly wouldn't have expected. Luckily it didn't wake us up.

The hotel is in a great location quite central for the shops and a short walk from the railway station. I would stay here again but would definitely request a different room.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many hotels but this one is the true wow-experience! Staff is amazing! Very service minded, kind and helpful. They even surprised us with a birthday card and champagne when they learned it was my husbands birthday. We stayed in the room "Reykjavik" and it was so nice!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I've now stayed in this hotel three times and I mad surprised I have never reviewed it.
The staff are amazing, it doesn't matter what the issue - from calling to get a DVD or because your bath is missing a plug - they are quit and helpful.

First stay was in St Petersburg, a lovely smaller room with a seat window. Looks over edinburgh rooftops, such a peaceful place. It felt a million miles away from home (I only stay 20 miles away).

The second stay we opted for Barcelona. Room again was lovely.... Until the club downstairs closed. The normal chatter of people
Waving the club in the early hours was to be expected but nit the constant sound of breaking bottles being emptied into the bins half the night. I actually came home and fell asleep.

We did return, mid week, in hope of a quieter time. As despite the above there is something lovely about the hotel. New York this time, perfect for a winters day exploring the winter wonderland and returning to the massive double shower.

Lovely place if you want a hotel with some character.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple